When is HD LIL Requirement Date?

Ok, I take it the date has come and gone, and Dish could have been granted an extension. 61.5 was about 3 years late getting into orbit and position. Of course, I assumed we all knew of what HDRoberts pointed out in his last post, that BEYOND the HD requirement is the next process of a station choosing Must Carry or negotiate retransmission rights and it concomitant requirements that could result in the station not being unlinked at all, but still within the mandate of STELA. I shall try to be more clear in the future. From what I've gleaned from many posts on HD LIL's, it seems like there are quite a bit of HD locals that Dish has still not uplinked, and my sense it is NOT because of negotiations. Of course, I'm not certain, but this is the mystery to this question. Of course, I just hoping our local ION, KPAX, 30.1 is part of the LA DMA HD LIL. That would be great.

I need to see documentation of such a mandate.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/76.66

There are 8 Updates appearing in the Federal Register for 47 CFR 76.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr76_main_02.tpl

(k) Material degradation. (1) Each local television station whose signal is carried under mandatory carriage shall, to the extent technically feasible and consistent with good engineering practice, be provided with the same quality of signal processing provided to television stations electing retransmission consent, including carriage of HD signals in HD if any local station in the same market is carried in HD. A satellite carrier is permitted to use reasonable digital compression techniques in the carriage of local television stations.

(2) Satellite carriers must provide carriage of local stations' HD signals if any local station in the same market is carried in HD, pursuant to the following schedule:

(i) In at least 15% of the markets in which they carry any station pursuant to the statutory copyright license in HD by February 17, 2010;

(ii) In at least 30% of the markets in which they carry any station pursuant to the statutory copyright license in HD no later than February 17, 2011;

(iii) In at least 60% of the markets in which they carry any station pursuant to the statutory copyright license in HD no later than February 17, 2012; and

(iv) In 100% of the markets in which they carry any station pursuant to the statutory copyright license in HD by February 17, 2013.

The key line is "whose signal is carried under mandatory carriage"

Here in Cleveland, the only channel I know that is carried under must carry is WMFD from Mansfield. Dish does not have it in HD, but I also do not know that they actually broadcast any HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)