When is the last time DirecTV added a new channel?

MitchDeerfield

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Florida
When is the last time DirecTV added a new channel? I am not talking about freebies like Cheddar or some other such nonsense. It looks like DTV has given up on its customers. Dish is always adding free channels like the sub-channels. DTV adds nothing and insists on raising prices instead. Is that the new business plan?

When is the last time DirecTV added a new channel? I am not talking about freebies like Cheddar or some other such nonsense. It looks like DTV has given up on its customers. Dish is always adding free channels like the sub-channels. DTV adds nothing and insists on raising prices instead. Is that the new business plan?
I saw that Dish just added CoziTV. Dish is adding the national feeds of sub-channels. Dish like DTV doesn't carry any sub-channels. CoziTV must be doing well with the ratings of their national feed for Dish to add it. I wonder if DTV will add CoziTV?

COZI TV

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I saw that Dish just added CoziTV. Dish is adding the national feeds of sub-channels. Dish like DTV doesn't carry any sub-channels. CoziTV must be doing well with the ratings of their national feed for Dish to add it. I wonder if DTV will add CoziTV?

COZI TV
They also added Heroes & Icons and Start.

last channels im aware of that aint the streaming kind are the west coast feeds of tbs, tnt, etc...
after many, many years with directv, i left them for dish on black friday. dish has cozi tv, metv, heroes & icons, get tv, folk, laff, comet & start. i waited for directv to add national feeds of those channels but it never happened. i dont think it will. they never seemed interested in those type channels. took them forever to add epix. my favorites are metv & get tv. the hopper 3 is pretty nice also. the hr54 cant even come close. i got all the channels i watched on directv and then some in my top 200 package. im saving $50 month over what i was paying for directv for at least 2 years. im glad i switched.

They also added Heroes & Icons and Start.
DISH has GetTV too. My Dad watches it a lot. Those diginets feature a lot of retro shows and movies and would appeal, I'd think, to a lot of older viewers. And since that's the main demo that's still sticking with cable TV, especially satellite, it makes a lot of sense for DISH to have them. But why hasn't DTV added them? I can't imagine that they'd be all that expensive to add to the lineup.

I think it is strictly a matter of incompetence. AT&T completely overpaid for DirecTV and now just want to dump it at a fire sale price so they won't have to think about it anymore.

Maybe if DTV gets bought the new owner add the national feeds of the diginets? I was thinking besides those diginets are their really that many more channels that DTV needs to add? Here is the list of all the pay tv channels. I guess its a complete list?

List of United States pay television channels - Wikipedia
I don't think Dish even pays for those diginets. Dish gets them for free and then sells some advertising on the channels to make a profit. In return, the diginets get a much larger audience and can charge more for their commercials.

So Yummy, Black News Channel, and Cleo TV were added recently and AMC+ is in test mode. There are all "real" satellite channels and not Internet required like Cheddar, Tastemade, and i24News.

You might count these and internet based, since they are, but there are the "extras" to the networks in the 1900s like History Vault. Those are new-ish and some are quite new and I am sure more will show up.

Those are free Internet channels except for History Vault which has old documentaries that they want $5 a month for, which is ridiculous. And I am not "sure more will show up", not if you go by their record.

DISH has GetTV too. My Dad watches it a lot. Those diginets feature a lot of retro shows and movies and would appeal, I'd think, to a lot of older viewers. And since that's the main demo that's still sticking with cable TV, especially satellite, it makes a lot of sense for DISH to have them. But why hasn't DTV added them? I can't imagine that they'd be all that expensive to add to the lineup.
How many different Retro channels do you need ?

Maybe if DTV gets bought the new owner add the national feeds of the diginets? I was thinking besides those diginets are their really that many more channels that DTV needs to add? Here is the list of all the pay tv channels. I guess its a complete list?

Hope your not expecting someone to have all those channels available .... that would be ridiculous.

When D* gets sold, it won't be so someone can come and save the business.
Whoever buys it will buy it cheaper than ATT did and continue to run it into the ground ...

Were not going to see new boxes and programming.

The new owners can't afford to run it into the ground. AT&T can lose $30 billion and not miss a beat. The new owners have to be more savvy and protect their investment.

As for how many retro channels I need, I would be satisfied with eight. Don't forget, they are all for free.

The new owners can't afford to run it into the ground. AT&T can lose $30 billion and not miss a beat. The new owners have to be more savvy and protect their investment.

As for how many retro channels I need, I would be satisfied with eight. Don't forget, they are all for free.
No one is buying it to save it. They are buying it to liquidate

Reactions: Joe h
You can't "liquidate" Directv. The asset value would be pretty low - far lower than its value as a going concern. It still generates $4 billion profit per year.
Could it be ATT wants to sell to a Private Equity Firm so they can get around the DOJ and not need them to approve the merger? That's if ATT wants to sell all of DTV? That way the Private Equity Firm could sell DTV parts to other companies? Dish could buy the DTV satellites and broadcast centers? Another company could buy the DTV warehouses where they store the DTV equipment? However, Dish Network has more channel disputes than DTV right?

Could it be ATT wants to sell to a Private Equity Firm so they can get around the DOJ and not need them to approve the merger? That's if ATT wants to sell all of DTV? That way the Private Equity Firm could sell DTV parts to other companies? Dish could buy the DTV satellites and broadcast centers? Another company could buy the DTV warehouses where they store the DTV equipment? However, Dish Network has more channel disputes than DTV right?
The SEC would not allow a Dish-DTV merger unless they can prove that they are no longer profitable and would have to shut down otherwise. DirecTV is still very profitable, but is a shrinking asset that AT&T wants to get rid of to pay down its huge debt.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)