When it snows, you loose signal!

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
It never fails, we don't get a lot of snow but when we do the trouble calls start coming in. "No signal, scheduled tomorrow afternoon"....

First of all, to all satellite customers, it is normal to loose signal when your dish gets covered in snow. But mainly, can't CSRs ask "is it snowing?" it seems they don't want to do even the most basic trouble shooting anymore, just create a trouble call and move onto the next call.

DIRT, can you comment on this?

Thanks,
Brad

***EDIT, make that "lose signal" - I had just woken up and was groggy :)

Last edited:
Im glad the black dishes are now manufactured. If I get a call and schedule the visit for the next day, it's usually fixed before we even roll out. It absorbs the heat and melts it.

This has been a problem with Eastern Arc dishes unfortunately. :(

Glad mine is pole mounted on the ground so this has never been an issue for me.

It never fails, we don't get a lot of snow but when we do the trouble calls start coming in. "No signal, scheduled tomorrow afternoon"....

First of all, to all satellite customers, it is normal to loose signal when your dish gets covered in snow. But mainly, can't CSRs ask "is it snowing?" it seems they don't want to do even the most basic trouble shooting anymore, just create a trouble call and move onto the next call.

DIRT, can you comment on this?

Thanks,
Brad

CSRs should be asking this. The first troubleshooting step for signal loss is "Check for anything obstructing the signal to your satellite dish such as tree branches, severe rain, or snow build-up."

I live in eastern Connecticut and we get our fair share of snow here. I have had Dish for about 12 years now and I have only lost signal two or three times because of snow. I used to have the dish on the roof, and the few times that I lost signal, it would come back on again all by itself the next morning (after the sun shined on it for a couple of hours). Last year I got a new roof so I had the dish moved to a pole mount on the ground. Now it will be easy to brush off (but so far I have not had to).

Yeah, unfortunately the only way I could get HD via Dish was by putting it on a pole in my backyard. :(

The good news is that it is ridiculously easy to brush off now. I actually had to brush off a little snow earlier this season, which was odd because I've had cases where the entire dish was covered with snow (from the dish to the LNB) and I still had signal.

However, I've never lost signal because of it snowing outside. Only intense rain storms have killed my signal.

A tech said to me that coating the dish with cookiing spry (ie pam) can help with not letting snow build up on the dish.

Pam is a very poor choice to use on your dish. It is very sticky. Dirt builds up on it and it might even make the snow worse. I would not use Pam. If you want to try anything like that, Rain-X is a much better choice.

A tech said to me that coating the dish with cookiing spry (ie pam) can help with not letting snow build up on the dish.
That has been repeated for years. No idea if it's an old wive's tale or not.... As usual, some people swear by it and "never have any problems" while for others, it doesn't work.

mine is pole mounted and i lost my signal this morning with only a min amount of snow on the dish.

i guess i should have then come back and tweek my signals a bit

61.5 46
72 52
77 33

what say you?

I am on EA and its snowing right now and its fine. Seems like the EA takes longer to lose signal then the Western arc. The first winter I had it, went through a snow storm and had to clean the dish off with a push broom electrical taped to a extendable painters pole.

mine is pole mounted and i lost my signal this morning with only a min amount of snow on the dish.

i guess i should have then come back and tweek my signals a bit

61.5 46
72 52
77 33

what say you?

I dont know what min accpetable levels are for your area, but maybe one of the DIRT team members will see this and report back, perhaps you need a slight tweek. :)

I can't believe no one jumped on the OP for saying loose instead of lose. Usually somebody is all over a poster for that. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)