When, or will 4K programming start in ernest?

lgb0250

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
It just seems to me like this is the old shell game that was played with 3D TV’s. All this hoopla with very little results. Will 4K TV’s end up going the way of the 3D ones since there is really no network programming?

Reactions: LQQK
There is a lot of content being originated in 4K, and the streaming platforms are where to find it. The problem is, the broadcasters are aware that, for the most part, the discernible advantage is minimal, and they must weigh that against the cost involved. It took a long time to get to HD. 4K might be even longer, if at all.

It just seems to me like this is the old shell game that was played with 3D TV’s. All this hoopla with very little results. Will 4K TV’s end up going the way of the 3D ones since there is really no network programming?

Forget 4K, that's yesterdays Technology!...8K sets are available now for preorder...Can't wait for Dish or anyone to offer us (USA) 8K/16K programming...LOL! Some cool TV's announced and being showed off at CES 19.

Can 16K be far behind? :rolleyes:

I've said it before, HD is 1080 yet half, or more, of the broadcasters are transmitting in 720 (pseudo HD) so why would anyone expect them to jump on the 4K bandwagon especially considering that 8K TV's are already a reality. Don't hold your breath, we haven't even dealt with the ATSC 3 debacle yet. :coco

Forget 4K, that's yesterdays Technology!...8K sets are available now for preorder...Can't wait for Dish or anyone to offer us (USA) 8K/16K programming...LOL! Some cool TV's announced and being showed off at CES 19.
yea most of us who want 4k no i am not going to go out and buy one of those 8ktvs when there is hardly any programming for the tv yet. lets stick with 4k you guys please understand. with ATSC 3.0 working toward 2020 there will be lots of 4k OTA programming to watch.how i would say it with so many americans going out to walmart and other retailers buying 4ktvs tv networks have to realize people are buying 4ktvs like nuts especially during the holidays you need 4k programming to watch on the darn thing.right now all there is Netflix,Youtube and yes no hulu yet which is a shame.Dish right now has two 4k channels up on the hopper 3 dvr one in regular 4k and the other is 4kHDR.it would be a great time for them to put those two to great use.Directv has one or a couple of 4k fulltime showing programming on their channels.

Reactions: tetrode and LQQK
Can 16K be far behind? :rolleyes:

I've said it before, HD is 1080 yet half, or more, of the broadcasters are transmitting in 720 (pseudo HD) so why would anyone expect them to jump on the 4K bandwagon especially considering that 8K TV's are already a reality. Don't hold your breath, we haven't even dealt with the ATSC 3 debacle yet. :coco

That was one educational video...I was # 3,038,718 viewer!...Thanks, fer sharing!

If you need to replace a TV or buy a TV for a location that has no TV then 4K is the way to go. Pixel size is smaller so you can sit closer. Color rendition and contrast is usually better. If you have Netflix or Amazon prime and a sturdy internet connection 4K shows are available, some with HDR. 40 inches or smaller does not benefit as much.

I would not replace a good 1080 set just to go to 4K.

Reactions: KAB
IIRC - 480p.

His argument parallels some of my arguments that "HDTV lite" (1080X1440) is indistinguishable from 1080X1920 by most people especially at distances of 10 feet and more.

The same is true of 4K, yes the pixels are smaller and there are 4 times as many of them, but if your eye can't detect the difference, it's just a waste of money and resources.

BTY, Earnest died in 2000.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If you remember, the government mandated that broadcasters switch from analog to digital broadcasts. There was never a requirement to switch to HD and many broadcasters still do not broadcast in HD. There will never be a mandate to switch to 8K and without a mandate, it will never happen.

If you remember, the government mandated that broadcasters switch from analog to digital broadcasts. There was never a requirement to switch to HD and many broadcasters still do not broadcast in HD. There will never be a mandate to switch to 8K and without a mandate, it will never happen.

I believe it will eventually get here. Weren't some of the Olympics broadcast in 8K for some Asian countries? Also, thought I read where they already have some everyday broadcasts in 8K...Guess I 'll google it later when I get some time, Wife is telling me to get the driveway shoveled...Got to do it before the NFL games start!

I believe it will eventually get here. Weren't some of the Olympics broadcast in 8K for some Asian countries? Also, thought I read where they already have some everyday broadcasts in 8K...Guess I 'll google it later when I get some time, Wife is telling me to get the driveway shoveled...Got to do it before the NFL games start!
I shoveled mine this morning and there's more snow in it now than there was before I did it the 1st time

Reactions: LQQK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts