When the local news and state governor team up to promote McJobs (no, really)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not just Colorado..its nationwide..they are getting about 5 applicants for every job

I don’t see anything wrong with this. This is a good thing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working at McDonalds or the like and nothing to be ashamed of. It’s a job, you’re doing something productive and earning a living and not leaching off the government. And many people will take this as an opportunity to move up. Start off serving burger, get promoted to store manager, regional manager, move up to corporate or take the skills and achievements you’ve acquired at McDonalds and move elseware. A relative of mine worked in the local UPS warehouse to put him through college making minimum wage, became a driver, went into lower management and now he’s in upper management on a regional level making well over $100K a year. A good friend of my uncles worked at Burger King in high school, never went to college, became store manager, got promoted to oversee a cluster of 8 or 10 stores and now is in middle management for the Northeast and is looking to improve herself.

All I hear from the unemployed is how there are ‘no jobs’. That is total BS! I’m out and about all day long, I can name at least thirty places a week that I drive right by (or that are customers of mine) that are hiring and have been for some time. Sure these aren’t the greatest jobs, McDonalds, Tim Horton’s, hell even the Goodwill. You’re not going to make a ton of money and it may not be the best job, but $7/hour is better then $0/hour. If the pay wasn't minimum wage, I'd seriously consider quitting my current job and become an overnight stockboy at Wegman's Supermarkets and work my way up.

I agree. I know a man who lost his job about a year ago and is the Asst Manager of McDonalds here. His pay is pretty good. McDonalds is a great place for a younger person to work as well. . I have watched some local news coverage and they are using this as a sign the economy is getting better. But I remember very well when Dan Quayle was photographed back when he was VP in front of a Burger King that had a hiring sign in front of it . The media really went after him .

Gold is $1,500 an ounce and people willing to flip burgers for a few bucks, which can't support anyone in this inflationary economy.

Work all day to fill up your tank so you can drive back to work and earn enough to buy a few combo meals.

so sad what has happened to america

You can't start at the top!! A job is a job . Any job can be "dead end" or gateway to bigger and better things. Its what YOU want to make it. Lucky people are only because they are ready to take an advantage of an opportunity. These jobs are not much but at least someone can get a foot in the door.

It's not so much the jobs themselves as so much as our Governor spending so much of his campaign time promoting "green jobs" and "tech jobs" only to turn around towards...McDonalds.

Makes me wonder about campaign promises as usual :rolleyes:

and also:

Looks like the hiring day turned rather ugly in Cleveland..

Three Hurt at McDonald's Hiring Event -- WJW

This. Yeah, I'm getting nervous when McDonalds hosts fistfights :p

McDonalds is a good job provider. But, it's the people who are working at the McDonalds that tells you what's going on with the economy .And the lines shown at the hiring speak volumes. When things are good they have a tough time finding people and they get teenagers or retired people. When things are bad people who wouldn't do this kind of work work at fast food places.

They have a McDonalds next to Fenway Park in Boston and I remember going to a game in the 1980's . They had a help wanted sign up and the starting pay was on the sign. I don't remember the exact pay but it was way above the minimum wage. They had a tough time getting people but the pay was really good . Of course it was a very busy McDonalds. I can imagine what it might be today but back then it was way above the minimum wage.

Now every Manager that works with young people will tell you this and I can speak from experience. They will hire these people knowing that some will not show up to work the first day . And some won't show up on time or call it sick. Some will be sick and won't even call in.Believe it or not some will walk off the job and not even tell the Manager. Back when I worked at a Theme Park I found that out the hard way. I had to ask people from the first shift to stay on while I called others to come it. The younger generation don't think much about being responsible.

I've worked fast food in my younger days. I worked for a burger joint called Bullets, I've worked at a couple of pizza places and been a delivery driver for them. It sucks, but it's not a bad way to start right out of high school. However, unless I was into management or owning a franchise, I don't think it would interest me as a long term career prospect.

Therein lies the whole idea. We start out early making a little bit of money and work our way into doing what we want to do for a bunch more. The idea that you can come out of high school, or even college, and make top dollar is just plain silly. You have to earn what you have and you didn't earn that in school........

When walmart is the largest employer in the United States doesn't that tell you that we are kinda screwed.:eek:

It's not so much the jobs themselves as so much as our Governor spending so much of his campaign time promoting "green jobs" and "tech jobs" only to turn around towards...McDonalds.

Makes me wonder about campaign promises as usual :rolleyes:

and also:

This. Yeah, I'm getting nervous when McDonalds hosts fistfights :p

What the heck are you talking about??? He didn't TURN towards McDonalds, he's only endorsing them and their hiring. Something wrong with that?

Has nothing to do with campaign promises, or bringing in tech and green jobs. The more jobs available, the better.... and bloody hell, he started in January, it's April, what are your expectations?

If you have a problem with Hick, you should go to Sonic for your babble......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts