When to get Joey's...

TroyO

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Denver, CO
I am getting set to order my Dish package. I do have a quick question... can I get an additional free Joey's later? Right now I only have 2 TVs but I do want to add another for the kitchen...if I wait say 6 months and want to add a Joey would it be free? Or do I go ahead and get it now and just sit on it?

I may be wrong.. my head is foggy working off only 3 hours sleep, but you can get up to 3 now for free. If you wait and get them installed later they could cost you $99 each plus a service call.

I am getting set to order my Dish package. I do have a quick question... can I get an additional free Joey's later? Right now I only have 2 TVs but I do want to add another for the kitchen...if I wait say 6 months and want to add a Joey would it be free? Or do I go ahead and get it now and just sit on it?

If it's a six month window and you're pretty sure about it, your probably better off getting it now and paying the lease fee for a few months. If you do it later you may have to pay $99 for an additional joey and a tech fee to run any cable that may be needed.

No if your not buying it outright then your leasing it from DISH and it will be subject to the $7 a month fee. :)

If you own the Joeys you can turn them on or off as you wish.

Quoted from the Dish Press release: "The Hopper system is available through the DISH lease program. New DISH customers who subscribe to DISH's America's Top 200 or DishLATINO Dos programming packages or greater can receive one Hopper and up to three Joey units for free, including a standard professional installation. The Hopper system requires a whole-home DVR fee of $10 per month and $7 per month for each Joey. "

I may be wrong.. my head is foggy working off only 3 hours sleep, but you can get up to 3 now for free. If you wait and get them installed later they could cost you $99 each plus a service call.
or you could just buy them outright at $149 and then have the option to turn off and on that outlet at your leisure. correct?

I wonder if you can have the hardware, but not active it (to save the 7$ per month) until you need it? I'm in the same situation.
I can't see Dish letting you keep a Joey and not charging for it, even if it is in your closet.

Make your best guess on how long it would be before you need the Joey and do the math, see if its cheaper to go ahead and pay the lease for a few months.

Yeah, it will be 6 months or so... haha, I heed to finish building the upper kitchen cabinets to hang the TV and if I take longer than that my wife will divorce me and I will only need 1 TV anyway.... ;-)

I got the same from chat support... the up to 3 Joey's offer is only good right at the time of purchase. If you wait, you will pay the $99 so (quick and dirty math here.) if you will be using it anytime in the next 14 months you are better off getting it now.

Thanks for the quick answers..... now to go get some toys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)