When Will Dish Give Us Network Hdtv??

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
I'm using my OTA to bring in CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX & PBS. When will DISH make it possible to get network HDTV? Any info. on this from Charlie??

Charlie has made some plans public. He's said that he'll only put up as many HD LILs as are economical. Whether that's 10 DMAs or 100, Charlie has said he doesn't know (yet). I think he's even said that he'll start early next year, or even late this year.

Tvlman said:
I'm using my OTA to bring in CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX & PBS.

Wonderful. So what's the problem?

riffjim4069 said:
Personally, I believe a good OTA antenna is best source of local HDTV and, in my opinion, HD LIL is just a huge waste of bandwidth
Hurray!!

my sugestion is if you dont live in the top 20 markets or so it aint happining any time sooon.. I would expect Newyork, L.A. and chicago to be the first 3 markets to get it. (thus the three largest dma's)

The FCC is in day 168 of 180 days in deciding whether to give Dish approval to get a licence and authorization that is held by Rainbow DBS at 61.5. Dish might do some rearraranging and additions if they get approval.

riffjim4069 said:
Personally, I believe a good OTA antenna is best source of local HDTV and, in my opinion, HD LIL is just a huge waste of bandwidth.
Except for those of us who are too far out to pull in HD signals.

I don't have line of site to the station transmission towers atop Mt. Wilson in the Los Angeles area, so I need HD locals to be delivered via satellite.

My cable carrier, Charter, only offers three HD local channels after promising for two years to add more -- and, their HD picture quality is quite soft compared to the razor sharpness of Dish.

So, Dish, keep working on getting the bandwidth to provide HD locals and more HD content in general. HD locals are not a waste of bandwidth.

I'm just curious, how much "locally originated programming" is actually out there in this day and age?

Aside from local news, what's locally originated anymore? Daytime programming is all syndicated, that's not locally originated. Some sports (mostly baseball) is I guess technically "locally originated" on the few games that are actually broadcast free to air but those are few and far between anymore.

I'm not down on OTA, I'm just wondering if the value of OTA is what it used to be?

Some food for though and discussion.

Best,

david dietzel,

Have you tried to get the local stations from rancho?
I have a customer in riverside who gets the locals from LA fine. Did you even try to get them?

You might need a big antenna and an amp, but it could be possible for you. Where in ranch do you live?

Jon

I'm so sick of the blanket "put an antenna up" response to questions about HD DNS. Apparently many of you just assume that because you get your networks digitally OTA that everyone else can too. It's so typical of how self-absorbed society has become.

The majority of people posting about HD network channels do so because they CAN'T get an OTA signal. Either because of geographical limitions or their locals are refusing to broadcast full power digital for long as they can get away with it. I happen to face both problems in Vermont and my only chance for HD nets is if Dish decides to provide them.

waltinvt\ said:
I'm so sick of the blanket "put an antenna up" response to questions about HD DNS. Apparently many of you just assume that because you get your networks digitally OTA that everyone else can too. It's so typical of how self-absorbed society has become.

The majority of people posting about HD network channels do so because they CAN'T get an OTA signal. Either because of geographical limitions or their locals are refusing to broadcast full power digital for long as they can get away with it. I happen to face both problems in Vermont and my only chance for HD nets is if Dish decides to provide them.

Exactly. There are dozens and dozens of forums of folks actually trying that route and getting extremely dissappointed and annoyed. People shouldnt have to be antenna experts to get a few channels. I know my process has been long fraut with problems and expenses. In the end it works and I have a new skill set but for the normal person, it should be one simple "expert" dish install to see digital channels.

dodge said:
Dont hold your breath waiting for HD locals from Dish 95% of the population can get them OTA, put up an antenna and get them for free!!!!

I think 95% is a litle high. I am in the 144 market and not one commercial station offers OTA HD.

I'm in DMA # 1 and can't get ANYTHING from NY OTA. How's that for an example of E* needing Network HD! :)

28 miles from the Los Angeles transmitters and can't get analog or digital OTA. I have SD locals, I want HD. I'd be willing to put up a wing dish if it meant local HD.

If your local stations don't offer HD, then Dish is not going to be able to supply your local in HD either.

It is true that for a large percentage of the population, that Dish will not be providing anything more than what they can get via an OTA antenna.

If one is within 30-40 miles of a HD tower, then there should be an antenna solution. If within 15-20 miles, an indoor antenna should do the trick.

It is true that many people will not be able to use antennas. But it is huge cost for Dish to assume in order to serve maybe 15% or so of the population. And given that only a few of those people have HDTVs, the economics make no sense at all at this point in time. I doubt Dish could recover their cost to supply HD LILs to a lot of DMAs even at $50/month for just those channels.

Think of it this way. Let's say HD subscribers make up 5% of the Dish install base. Then assume that 75% of them can get their locals via antenna. The remaining 1.25% are spread across all of the USA. Dish would have to incur the cost to transmit 250-300 HD channels in order to provide HD LILs to the top 50 DMAs. How in the world could 1.25% of the subscriber base offset that cost?

In the future, with MP4, Dish will be able to provide those channels at a lower cost to Dish, plus there will be more HDTV owners to spread the cost around.

If only the FCC would let the DBS companies supply the network HD feeds to everyone, the cost would be minimal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts