When will FIOS make it to Clearwater, FL?

vlj9r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Tampa Bay, Florida
Still waiting for FIOS here in Pinellas County, FL.
East of us, Tampa has it. North of us Pasco County has it and to the South, Brandon and Manatee county has it.

I did read early in the yr that as soon as Pasco was completed they would move into northen pinellas county and the country side area. However, I have not seen any workers around Country Side.

Have you heard differently?

Jerry

Where are you?

Fios tv only has locals in analog from what I know, I would think the analog quality would be good compared to cable because there is very little loss and no rf interference in a fiber line, of course analog sucks on it's own but I don't think theres anything worse about it with fios.

I've never had fios so I can't say much.

fios has the best picture quality overall. they have about 15 channels that look bad. most of them are locals which are also mirrored in digital. the only channel that looks bad that i care about it wgn.

There are alot of orange flags and orange paint in the intersection of Lakeview and Highland. Thats only 800ft from my street! Our telephone lines are on the pole above ground so chances are thats where the fiber will be. Is It quicker to get that going than underground? If so I'll probably be seeing the light very soon.

There are alot of orange flags and orange paint in the intersection of Lakeview and Highland. Thats only 800ft from my street! Our telephone lines are on the pole above ground so chances are thats where the fiber will be. Is It quicker to get that going than underground? If so I'll probably be seeing the light very soon.

Verizon is for the time being avoiding area's with underground copper wires as they are much harder and take much longer to upgrade. So if your wires are on the street poles in most of the area you have a good chance of seeing fiber. I can say that nearly all of Pinellas County has the wires strung on the poles so its just a matter of Verizon working their way through the county in whatever order they picked. Before I moved I did see a crap load of work stringing new wires and replacing one of the boxes on the road with a new and bigger one but none of my friends has seen anything else. I did notice how the work started very very close to the central office and worked their way out away from it in all four directions. Most of the work I saw being done when I was out to see it was at the corner of Keene and Starkey roads on East Bay Dr. For those that know the area Keene Rd is one one side of East Bay Drive while Starkey Rd is on the other side. The box they replaced is now on cement at the very corner of the street on the Walgreens side near the crosswalk buttons and sidewalks.

I do know that the work started at the Central Office as I saw them stringing cables on a Monday when I went shopping at Publix as this store is directly across the street from the central office that serves me in my old house. That is pretty much all I know because that was done about four weeks before I moved which would be almost exactly one year and one month as of this post.

There has been a lot of Verizon crews working in Safety Harbor this past week. I drove by the crew and yelled from my truck about FiOS and they yelled back "next week", so whatever that means....

Well right off of my street going right under the the cable lines are some little red flags in the ground, sadly they say Knology. I guess they are going to patch up the holes in few places they aren't in yet in my neighborhood which is right at the edge of the city limits.

Also a couple streets down from me there is a sign mentioning something about some Clearwater water service project, it said allot more but it was dark and I didn't feel like turning around to read it. Btw this was right around where I saw the orange flags in my earlier post, I'm pretty sure the orange flags say Verizon on them but I haven't been close enough to read it.

I've also seen blue flags but there are way less, maybe the blue has something to do with water?

Is it strange that all three are happening at once? Now I'm all confused.

I just received an email from the Verizon guys here in this area

FIOS will not be available in my area, Clearwater US19/East Bay until late 2008 early 2009 "maybe"

dang