When will it end?

I always to tell people to never be afraid to shop around when it comes to TV, even if that means switching providers every 2 years to get the new customer deals. I know switching every 2 years would probably get annoying, but, if that's what you have to do to save some money to get the channels you, then that's what you gotta do. If you don't want to do that, still shop around anyway. You might find a tv package that has the channels you want that has a lower regular price so you still save money in the longer term. Then add the DVR/receiver fees and try to compare to other providers.

I am old enough that we did not have cable when I was a kid. My first experience with cable was when I moved to Indianapolis. It was 1988 and basic cable was less than $5 per month for as many televisions as I had. What gets me about Dish's increases is that the increase is not just on programming. In one room, we have the same box we received when we subscribed in 2005. Two other rooms are sharing the DVR we got in 2007. Did they suddenly increase in value? And I can't get upgrades to the equipment without paying through the nose.

I know some channel prices have increased and Dish needs to pass those costs on to the customer. It just is frustrating when an 9-year customer is essentially told that if he wants upgrades, he'll have to go to DirectTV. That's not a direct quote, but it was something very close to that.

Why do we still have Dish? It is in my wife's name and she still wants it. Besides a couple hours of cable news over the last week, I have been enjoying the free HD Olympics broadcasting on NBC. If only the OTA networks would always have something worth watching...

An upgrade should only cost a maximum of $95 unless your account is not in very good standing with Dish so I'm not sure why they would charge you through the nose. As for the price increase for the secondary receivers, they didn't go up because they have more value. It's not considered a receiver fee but a program access fee and that is how they are able to charge more.

If you're looking for the best deal just switch do a different provider or drop Dish for 2 months and sign back up again.

Cancel! Cancel! Cancel! Send them a message, maybe they will hear it.
The pay TV providers will change the way that they are doing business when enough of their subscribers will cancel. In 2006, when I signed up with Dish my bill was $75 per month but it included HBO, Showtime and Starz. Last year, when I canceled, the bill was $80 and it didn't include any Premium channels. Now I have only the OTA channels, Netflix and HBO GO courtesy of Comcast. I pay $39.99/month to Comcast for their Internet Plus package, that's 25 Mb download and HBO GO. It's a promotional price for 1 year. Technically I'm still a TV subscribers, the Comcast package is for internet, the local channels and HBO. They even gave me a standard Comcast box but it's still in the original box. When the promotional first year will expire with Comcast I will switch to ATT Uverse for one year and so on. I will switch every year until real competition will show up and force this companies to charge a fair price for their internet.
Right now I pay less than $50 for entertainment, $40 for internet and $8 for Netflix.

Just as another example, the "big 4" cell phone companies. Enough people got tired of outrageously expensive cell phone bills every month, so as MVNO's started springing up and adding more competition to the mix, prices started coming down. Pretty soon, Sprint and T-Mobile both began to offer similarly priced "unlimited" plans to lure people back. T-Mobile will even pay your ETF's to transfer your lines of service to them. Why can't the same thing happen with TV providers? Once you start to reach a tipping point where people begin to leave, you have to begin to be more competitive, right?

Just as another example, the "big 4" cell phone companies. Enough people got tired of outrageously expensive cell phone bills every month, so as MVNO's started springing up and adding more competition to the mix, prices started coming down. Pretty soon, Sprint and T-Mobile both began to offer similarly priced "unlimited" plans to lure people back. T-Mobile will even pay your ETF's to transfer your lines of service to them. Why can't the same thing happen with TV providers? Once you start to reach a tipping point where people begin to leave, you have to begin to be more competitive, right?

The difference is the cell providers don't have to negotiate carriage deals with content providers. If all the channels keep asking for more money the price of cable/satellite has to keep going up.

The difference is the cell providers don't have to negotiate carriage deals with content providers. If all the channels keep asking for more money the price of cable/satellite has to keep going up.
No it doesn't have to continue it's upward climb, if the channels ask too much for their return they will just have to be dropped. I have no need for ESPN why should I have to pay for that service every month. Packages can be reformatted, it will mean new contracts and someone like Charlie standing pat.

Last edited:
No it doesn't have to continue it's upward climb, if the channels ask too much for their return they will just have to be dropped.
And every time Dish has a dispute people raise holy hell and threaten to leave. If Dish were to drop channels permanently, I don't even want to think how that would go.

I see no reason to complain about TV prices ever. If it's out of you budget then drop some equipment, lower your package or quit pay TV service altogether. If it's so bad and you don't need all the extra crap then just get one receiver without DVR and subscribe to the Smart Pack or Welcome pack. You're not going to get much of a better deal than that. Don't forget that if you get a 211 receiver you can add an external hard drive to make it a DVR and also add the OTA module with antenna for more channels and an extra tuner.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can still get plenty of value, even from Dish, if you just give up the things that are not needed. If you feel you need separate HD programming with DVR on each TV in the house and you need to be able to watch your favorite sports teams then be prepared to pay more for it each year. This is how the industry is and has been. No reason to complain, I don't. At one point my bill was over $160 and now I have it down to around $120. It's still high but I am willing to pay for all the extras I have.

I remember how most people only had antenna growing up or just basic cable and it was only on 1 or 2 TVs. Before that people just listened to the radio. Think about how your lifestyle has changed and your wants, not needs, then tell me if prices are getting ridiculous. What's more ridiculous, the cost of what TV is or the demand from people to have this many channels in HD on every TV in the house with DVR all for a price similar to what they paid 10 years ago?

When talking to a potential customer do you give them this spiel? If so how well does it work?

Presenting the facts & letting them make an informed decision is costing me sales big time. People just aren't signing up like they used to.

It wasn't too many years ago that only 5 of us signed up & installed over 1200 customers in a year's time. Granted that was dish & directv, mostly dish. The way things are now we don't do a fraction of that. I really don't see this changing either.

Last edited:
No it doesn't have to continue it's upward climb, if the channels ask too much for their return they will just have to be dropped. I have no need for ESPN why should I have to pay for that service every month. Packages can be reformatted, it will mean new contracts and someone like Charlie standing pat.

Every channel asks for more money every time they negotiate. It's not just sports. The last big time dispute I remember was with AMC. If Dish decides to start dropping every channel that asks for more money they won't have anything but shopping and religious channels left.

My bill just jumped up to $96~, and all I have is a single owned VIP722k. That's too high. I'm going to drop down to America's 120, (dropping from A250). I'm also planning on dropping BB Online. The heck with it as paid tv just isn't worth that much. I can get anything else I want by waiting until it's free from Amazon, or elsewhere. I don't mind waiting a year if I have to wait that long in some cases.

If you don't draw a line in the sand, price increases won't stop.

My point is, the pricing structure as it currently is, in my opinion, unreasonable. Most of us grew up as children in households with some form of cable TV or satellite (I know my parents always had cable) and I don't remember them ever complaining that it was outrageously expensive. Today, I can't tell you one person I know who says "Yeah, I think cable TV (or satellite) is affordable." In fact, they all bemoan all of the increases in price for the little quality they seem to receive. Most people have just a few channels they like, but end up paying lots of money for mainly channels they don't.

What I pay for Dish each month (before credits) is more than what I pay per month for health insurance. I'm sorry, but that IS ridiculous.

Sure, I can stop paying for it. I can also ride a bike to work, dress in togas to save money, eat only Ramen noodles, drink water instead of soda, you get the picture. The point I'm trying to make is, most of us expect to pay a reasonable amount of money per month for some form of TV entertainment in America.

To add to the other good responses...

It's not just Dish that has increased their prices. All other providers have, too. DirecTV, Comcast, etc. Now, why do you think that has happened? People that provide the channels, AMC, Disney/ESPN, NBC Universal, etc, have raised their prices when their contracts come up with each company. Now, if Dish, DirecTV, Comcast all see higher prices from the companies providing the channels, what happens? It gets passed on. Who should you blame? How about the providers like AMC, Disney/ESPN, etc. And as others have said, every time somebody gets $10 million per year to play baseball, or some Kar-trashian gets paid millions to be on TV and do nothing of substance, those costs are passed on.

You get to decide how much or how little TV you want. One nice thing about Dish, there are packages from the Welcome Pack at $19.99/mo all the way up to the AT250 at $79.99. As others have said, go comparison shop a little. Make sure you look at their regular rates, not the 1 year teaser rates. See how they compare. Make your choice based on that, same provider/different provider, all channels/basic channels. As long as the cost of providing programming to you goes up 10+% per year, doesn't do much good to complain about or to Dish.

(edit) A little about costs. I remember, I guess, about 20-25 years ago, when getting 40 channels of TV was $20-$25. Thing is, at Dish, you can still get a basic pack of locals and other channels for $19.99. More channels cost more. Your choice. You want the channels, you have to pay for them.

Last edited:
I disagree about looking at the long term after the so called teaser rates. The only good pricing is for new customers. People should jump ship every 2 years to get these deals & keep the cycle going.

I disagree about looking at the long term after the so called teaser rates. The only good pricing is for new customers. People should jump ship every 2 years to get these deals & keep the cycle going.

Even if you're someone who hops providers every 2 years, the intro prices are normally only good for 12 months. I know that for a while, DTV had a first year price, a second year price that was like $15 more, and after that, it went up again. So, if you jump every 2 years, at least be familiar what the year 1 AND year 2 teaser rates are.