When will the 522 be available to existing customers?

coreillydish

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Does anyone know when the 522 will be available to existing customers? I can get the 510 but I have been holding out for the 522. Thanks.

I don't know if anyone right now can answer that question. I would like to have one also. Funny thing happened yesterday. I went into a local Radio Shack looking at a 522 and was playing with it. The sales person thought he could sell me one.That prompted me to call DishNetwork.The csr told me that they are still not available for current customers but he would place a note on my account to be one of the first to receive one when they do become available for current subs. Probably just a big pile of BS.

Also know that even if you do get your hands on one, DN will currently not even activate it - even from the executive office (which is how it has been handled in the past). So be cautious if you find one you can buy (i.e. eBay, etc...)

Plus, you wouldn't really want one right now anyway. They're a bit of a pain in the ass, which is why they haven't yet been released to current customers I would imagine.

Why would you want to go from a stable box, to a buggy box? When it's got all the kinks ironed out (soon, hopefully) then I'm sure they'll start planning how to get it to current customers.

I'm sure other folks probably know by now, but it IS possible for an existing customer to get their hands on a 522. I read (elsewhere) about emailing ceo@dishnetwork.com and decided to give that a shot.

I wrote them a polite, calm email--explaining that I'd been a customer for 6+ years, that I was still using my original Dishplayer dvr, it was failing, and I wanted to jump into the 21st century w/ a two-tuner dvr. I asked if there was any way at all I could get a 522, or would I have to look towards DirectTV, being quick to point out I'd always enjoyed my Dish service and preferred to stay with their company.

I received a phone call 10-15 minutes later (on a Saturday, no less) offering to replace my dying Dishplayer with a 522, and I could purchase or lease it. They were incredibly friendly and helpful.

I had to wait unti the following weekend for my install due to work constraints, but I now enjoy the use of a spiffy 522. Yes, I've seen the "color fade bug twice", but overall it runs quite well--and it's a quantum leap over my former receiver.

I understand why people complain about their 522s (with all the hype it received, it would NEVER be able to live up to it). But I feel we only hear from those that are disappointed. The happy folks are busy watching TV, and don't bother to post their experience. I rarely post on message boards, but feel the 522 is getting an unfair rap.

Color me a satisfied Dish customer.

I agree, Ive had mine for about 10 weeks and yes some miner bugs, but I am extremely happy with mine.
Its true people with problems are the ones that post and I would too!
I think thats how most people come across message boards, they have problems or questions and search the net for solutions. If you don't have questions or problems you just watch TV.

I'm not sure if they'll replace your 510, but an email wouldn't hurt. Perhaps my situation is different. I've been with the company a long time, and had W-A-Y outdated hardware. Maybe they don't believe owners of a 510 need to upgrade? Dunno. I'd certainly write them a polite email and give it a shot. Whattya have to lose?

I've written emails and called multiple times, and I'm told that they will do nothing to help. I'll try sending one to the ceo email address.

Actually, that's a good point. The 510 is a decent box with a big HDD. 522's are a pain to install. Why not just get another 501/508/510 and be done with it?

Has anyone worked out Executive Office deals for an upgrade to the 522? And if you have, what conditions have been required of you?

I've sent my letter, very nice mind you, to ceo@dishnetwork.com, and am due to return a call I recieved yesterday from DishNetwork.

Just wanted a heads up as to what to expect.

Had a wonderfully nice executive office person call to say that an installer would be out to my house in the next 12 hours to install my new 522 for use in two rooms, and would not charge me anything. The really were soooo much nicer than the 1800# CSR. All they asked is that they take my old/new 510 on an exchange. {No Problem!} It really is amazing what a nicely written letter will do.

Maybe we should start a thread where we list all the phone numbers for the nicer people we speak to in the Executive office? And maybe a thread were we offer templates of letters that have gotten successful responses from DISH?

strrlvr said:
Had a wonderfully nice executive office person call to say that an installer would be out to my house in the next 12 hours to install my new 522 for use in two rooms, and would not charge me anything <snip> All they asked is that they take my old/new 510 on an exchange.
Are you giving them a 510 that you own in exchange for a 522 that you are now going to lease?

They took my 510 and gave me a 522. I asked if it was being leased, and was told that it would just be a clean swap. I was even told that my, "Monthly payment would be exactly the same."

Sounds too good to be true, but I guess my letter was really good.

:)

strrlvr said:
They took my 510 and gave me a 522. I asked if it was being leased, and was told that it would just be a clean swap. I was even told that my, "Monthly payment would be exactly the same."
WOW! :shocked If you were given the 522, that sounds like a good deal to me. Congrats!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts