When Will We Get NBR?

itsonthedish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
When Name Based Recording comes out, will we be able to set up "season passes" to our favorite shows? So far, all we have is weekly recording, which isn't very accurate if they decide to change the schedule at the last minute.

Other than that, I am very happy with my multiroom viewing options on the 522. I can't believe that two seperate tv's can be viewing the same program at the same time and viewing it independently.

Name Based Recording will start becoming available in late summer on some models (i.e. 522) and late fall on other models (i.e. 721)

No season passes like Tivo however you can set it to record shows marked NEW only. :)

Stargazer said:
Having the shows record only the new ones is just as good if not better.

Yep I think that is the only feature my 721 was missing it will now be a world class recorder. I can't wait to get it going!

Bob

Wishbone said:
Whats the difference between NBR and Season Pass? From descriptions, I thought it was similar.

That is what Name Based Recording is supposed to be. You tell it to record a program, not a date and time. I thought the beta also had priorities, so you could choose which program would supercede another program in the event of a conflict. What else would be missing other than the name "season pass"?

That is something I am also wondering about. Sometimes different channels other than the west coast feed will show the very same episode. Perhaps they would have to have hidden information tacking on the station ID (and whether it is a west coast feed or an east coast feed) in the program information so that it only records it on that channel. They could shorten it to make it a code to represent the channel, perhaps just the channel number or something.

GaryPen said:
What about mulltiple copies of the same "new" episode, such as from east/west feeds?

It would be nice to exclude those from different feeds but then again I feel fortunate to be able to get E/W feeds. I think most subscribers don't have it. I can always delete the show if it records twice

this is from the tivocommunity forum. I think it briefly explains how it is done. It also says that Season Passes are channel specific. I think my old 7100 worked the same way. I don't recall that it jumped channels to record something

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rkkeller
For a few shows I have had to create 2 SP's to get all the episodes. The SP's are worded exactly the same but one showed some episodes and the other different episodes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should only happen if for some reason the show has two different series IDs. That is how the TiVo determines what programs belong to a series, but if for some reason not all shows have the same series ID then you would need multiple season passes to record them.

I don't know why these shows would have that problem (although back when UPN was changed Enterprise to Star Trek:Enterprise they modified the series ID as well...)

DirecTivo's handle the issue very easily. A Season pass is PER CHANNEL.

Hence if you setup a season pass for simpons on FoxW , it will never ever record Simpons on FoxE (if you happen to have both).

Very smart system .. its amazing that Tivo hasnt fundamentally changed one bit in 4 years and yet there is STILL not a single competitor with functionality even close to theirs.

There are dozens and dozen's of DVR's now but they all suck, Replay is the closest thing to a Tivo but even it lacks season pass functionality, wishlist functionality and the awesome Tivo Guide.

While Replay doesn't have a season pass function it has the flexibility that you could specify if you wanted the timers to record the show from just one channel or all channels. You could also specify the days of the week as well.

riekl said:
There are dozens and dozen's of DVR's now but they all suck, Replay is the closest thing to a Tivo but even it lacks season pass functionality, wishlist functionality and the awesome Tivo Guide.

Thats exactly why I have my Tivo connected to my 522. I trust my Tivo to do what I tell it. I use the 522 for one time recordings only. Hopefully DN will get their software a little more feature rich and I can stop relying on my trusty Tivo so much. :)

If there were news, guys, you'd see it.

Unless Dish Network rolls out NBR to my 522 in the next 8 days, which I don't see happening, they're going to miss the deadline.

Big surprise there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)