When you start out as an installer for DNS, how much can you expect to earn?

LookingInto

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
USA
Other jobs I was thinking of that pays relatively well for not requiring a college degree is the transportation industry -- truckin driving (easy to get in) and being a deckhand in a ship (harder to get in), and being a railroad conductor (hardest to get in).

You failed the test. You probably shouldn't worry about how much dish pays.

But to answer tyour question, it's different by area/market.

A friend of mine works for galaxy. Not sure if he's feeding me crap or not but he says in Iowa they start at $22/hr material provided. No employer can compete with the oil industry there so they have to pay $$. If you are set on being a dish tech, I'd look into that.

Understand that most installers are on contract so what you make is piecework. Some of it may cost a lot of money and if the customer isn't happy for any reason, you're ritually screwed.

Also understand that absent a formal union training program, many states have established licensing programs that you must complete before you're eligible.

Where is there oil production in Iowa? In western North Dakota, my installer said he used to work on a rig until he got into a fistfight with his boss. Quality people being hired on as contracters.

If you are technically inclined...entry level customer service/technical support starts off in the 40K range and rises quickly if you are customer savvy and self motivated to lean. Sr and principal level Technical Support Engineers (TSE) make well in excess of 100K yearly and this is all WO a 4 year degree.

Paradox-SJ said:
If you are technically inclined...entry level customer service/technical support starts off in the 40K range and rises quickly if you are customer savvy and self motivated to lean. Sr and principal level Technical Support Engineers (TSE) make well in excess of 100K yearly and this is all WO a 4 year degree.

Dish was paying less than $10/hr in Denver for tech support staff in 2003.

Haha, in-house is 4 days. 10 hours is flexible. Most guys do 10 hour days I guess, but us local remotes usually put in more like 11-13.

Why don't you get a hold of your local service center and ask. Im sure you can find them on the internet.

In cali ( bay area - like near San Fran.). We start out at 18/hr. Inhouse DNS.

dishnetwork installer training

I hear that you have to go to some kind of training center to get train for the job and you got to pay for everything to. Is there any truth to that? And I am applying for a job in nc so does anyone have any recent experience with this?

IN this region , central NC, DNS techs start at $11 per hour. Top guys can get $15 if they are adept at gaming the system and burying their noses deeply into the rear ends of their bosses.

cdabbs21 said:
I hear that you have to go to some kind of training center to get train for the job and you got to pay for everything to. Is there any truth to that? And I am applying for a job in nc so does anyone have any recent experience with this?

I know in house Dish has "reassigned" most of their trainers so now new hires most times are grouped from different locales to on training site. And I do believe they pay for lodging if needed. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)