When your favorite players go to a rival team

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With the Favre-Packers hoopla coming to a full boil tonight, it got me wondering- how do you feel about players from your favorite team going elsewhere to a rival?

After all, I know that the great Thurman Thomas finished his career with the arch-rival Miami Dolphins- and you don't hear Bills fans saying how he tarnished all his goodwill.

OTOH, I am still bitter at when Drury and Briere went to rival teams.

I really liked Gannon and Chiefs let him go and Raiders picked him up. I was pissed. Not as pissed that we picked Elvis Grbac over him, but was disappointed because I was looking forward to rooting for the guy that i liked better than our QB when he ended up on another team.

With the Favre-Packers hoopla coming to a full boil tonight, it got me wondering- how do you feel about players from your favorite team going elsewhere to a rival?

After all, I know that the great Thurman Thomas finished his career with the arch-rival Miami Dolphins- and you don't hear Bills fans saying how he tarnished all his goodwill.

OTOH, I am still bitter at when Drury and Briere went to rival teams.

What ?
Drury didn't even start with your guys, if I remember correctly.
Didn't he start in Colorado ?

Edit: Drury played for the Av's to start his career 1998 thru 2002

I use to hate (not really, thats to strong of a word) Chris Chelios, Blackhawks and Canadians for those that don't know.....
In reality I respected him because he played hard ....

Originally, I was unsure if I wanted him with the Wings after all the years of playing against us, after a short time I came around to it being a GOOD deal for the Wings, even thou he was older when we got him.

I was actually discussing this scenario with my wife during the MNF game last night. Fortunately for us, I can't recall a favorite player ever swapping teams with my rival in football.

In a hypothetical scenario, this would be like Ben Roethlisberger coming to Cleveland. All my life, I've been trained to root against the guy and his success. If he were to come to Cleveland, I'd be VERY uneasy about it and imagine it would take time to adjust. He would most definitely have to earn his stripes before I accept him too. (Ie. multiple winning seasons, playoffs, etc.)

Pete Rose going to the Phillies.

Boomer Esiasan went to the Jets. Granted I think it was the teams decision to not bring him back, but still.

I know these aren't really rivals but I can't think of any right now.

I suppose it's unique in an area where athletes can play for your rivals and not leave town. The list of guys who have played for both the Yankees and Mets is amazing...Strawberry, Gooden, Cone, etc.

Brendan Shanahan just bounced back and forth between the Rangers and Devils, and didn't have to sell his house.

I remember being furious when Don Maloney went to the Bad-landers as their GM. Of course he set the franchise back years, so it went well after all...

Sandra

I hated seeing Marcus Allen going to the Chiefs!! That burned me up like nothing else....but I was glad he was success in KC...but disapppointed he went in the HOF as a Chief....just to spite The Walking Corpse.

I hated seeing Marcus Allen going to the Chiefs!! That burned me up like nothing else....but I was glad he was success in KC...but disapppointed he went in the HOF as a Chief....just to spite The Walking Corpse.
How can you hold a grudge against anyone that gets away from that senile Al Davis? I loved Marcus Allen too, and remember him mostly as a Raider but I immediately side with ANYONE against that old man Davis. I think he is the biggest problem with the Raiders and they have a LOT of problems.

Albert Belle went to Chicago. I know they're not exactly a rival, but I was pretty ticked.

Albert Belle went to Chicago. I know they're not exactly a rival, but I was pretty ticked.

Wait, didn't a guy from Cleveland drive to Chicago or spring training or something to confront Albert Belle about leaving Cleveland for the White Sox, and get arrested for it?

OK, which one of you Cleveland die-hards was it??? Fess up!

I know who my money is on! ;) :D

Sandra

How can you hold a grudge against anyone that gets away from that senile Al Davis? I loved Marcus Allen too, and remember him mostly as a Raider but I immediately side with ANYONE against that old man Davis. I think he is the biggest problem with the Raiders and they have a LOT of problems.

I didn't hold it against him, I hated that he left...and to the hated Chiefs on top of that. THAT, was the beginning of the when the old man started to lose it.

Wait, didn't a guy from Cleveland drive to Chicago or spring training or something to confront Albert Belle about leaving Cleveland for the White Sox, and get arrested for it?

OK, which one of you Cleveland die-hards was it??? Fess up!

I know who my money is on! ;) :D

Sandra

damn...we should start a pool!

I've said it for 2 months now....how do you root for someone you've despised for so long

after the last 2 weeks I found out I dont have an issue with rooting for Farve :)

I was actually discussing this scenario with my wife during the MNF game last night. Fortunately for us, I can't recall a favorite player ever swapping teams with my rival in football.

In a hypothetical scenario, this would be like Ben Roethlisberger coming to Cleveland. All my life, I've been trained to root against the guy and his success. If he were to come to Cleveland, I'd be VERY uneasy about it and imagine it would take time to adjust. He would most definitely have to earn his stripes before I accept him too. (Ie. multiple winning seasons, playoffs, etc.)

HD, I believe you are familiar with it being the other way around- player from rival swaps with your favorite team.

p1_lewis_jamal.jpg

I've said it for 2 months now....how do you root for someone you've despised for so long

after the last 2 weeks I found out I dont have an issue with rooting for Farve :)
Its hard to root against any player that gives his heart and soul to the game as he plays. I couldnt root against Emmitt Smith when he went to the Cardinals. That man played with a seperated shoulder to help his team when he was with Dallas... and he dominated with it. Same would go for Marcus Allen or Joe Montana.

HD, I believe you are familiar with it being the other way around- player from rival swaps with your favorite team.

p1_lewis_jamal.jpg

Oh, good call.

I didn't like it at first, but truth is, Jamal won Cleveland's heart pretty quick. 2007 was his first year as a Brown. That year, he rushed for over 1,300 yards and 9 TD's.

I didn't hold it against him, I hated that he left...and to the hated Chiefs on top of that. THAT, was the beginning of the when the old man started to lose it.
I think youre right. Id love to see the raiders return to glory, beating up the AFC but........ until Al is gone I dunno. And when he is gone who is the owner going to be?

With the Favre-Packers hoopla coming to a full boil tonight, it got me wondering- how do you feel about players from your favorite team going elsewhere to a rival?....
As a kid it used to bother me. As a cynical desensitized adult, I don't bother getting attached to any player anymore. I just cheer them on as I would the team. When they jump somewhere else they mean nothing to me then. F**k 'em and their millions. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts