Bobby Bowden may be out after this year

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Even though he says he won't quit, he may not have a choice.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4531451"]Chair of board of trustees calls for Bobby Bowden's head at Florida State - ESPN[/ame]

This is surprising. Long overdue IMO, but FSU officials have never shown any indication that they would shove Bowden out in the past.

Reading a LOT into this story to say that this will be the cause of BB being gone. The Board of Trustees have no official say in BB 's Status.

Reading a LOT into this story to say that this will be the cause of BB being gone. The Board of Trustees have no official say in BB 's Status.
They're pretty big dogs, and the dogs are barking. When you the lose the support of trustees and big boosters you're finished. Ask Tommy Tubberville.

Let the guy coach, it's his whole life and what he's worked for.

It's just a couple seasons for FSU, they're a bigtime school, and won't be down long.

Is the guy they are talking about replacing him with, really good?

It's just a couple seasons for FSU, they're a bigtime school, and won't be down long.

Is the guy they are talking about replacing him with, really good?
They've been down for a few years by their standards. And they've already named Jimbo Fisher, who's the OC, as the next coach. Judge for yourself whether he's any good.

They've been down for a few years by their standards. And they've already named Jimbo Fisher, who's the OC, as the next coach. Judge for yourself whether he's any good.

I guess all that I'm saying is, the guy has 1 year left on his deal, let him coach, he's going to retire. For god sakes he's 800 years old, and a freaking legend, let him die in peace and on his terms.

Frankly, I get what you are saying about them being down for years, as a Michigan fan, I get it. ;)

I'll have to check Jimbo out next time FSU is on, haven't really paid attention. My list is so full with crap, hard for anything else good to make it :p

Bowden was out the second the clock ticked to zero vs. South Florida. Losing to Florida or Miami, which are equal institutions in the Florida scheme of things is one deal, losing to a defacto community college that plays in a tarped off half of an off-campus (by 20 miles) pro stadium in a joke league is another.

Unless USF is cheating, and it probably is, there is zero reason that anyone good enough would pick it over FSU. That means Bowden is getting either out coached or out-recruited by a team from a lesser level.

It is time for him to go quietly for the good of his school and league.

Bowden was out the second the clock ticked to zero vs. South Florida. Losing to Florida or Miami, which are equal institutions in the Florida scheme of things is one deal, losing to a defacto community college that plays in a tarped off half of an off-campus (by 20 miles) pro stadium in a joke league is another.

Unless USF is cheating, and it probably is, there is zero reason that anyone good enough would pick it over FSU. That means Bowden is getting either out coached or out-recruited by a team from a lesser level.

This makes no sense, because the guy is doing it the "right way" by not cheating and is losing to a school that is "probably cheating", then he must go?

I bet there's a bunch of other examples better then this loss, to this school.

Something about that just seems all backwards to me. Just because the guy in the fast lane is speeding and getting away with it, doesn't me you jump on the gas and catch up to him.

Whoa! What's with the random cheating allegations against South Florida? I've never heard anything leveled against them. They are in Florida and play in the BE, which is a shortcut to the BCS. Not hard to imagine how USF could get some guys straight up.

If anyone should be accused of cheating it's Bowden. That guy uses the good ol boy routine to make people think he's classy. He's not. Bowden has recruited every type of miscreant imaginable to FSU over the years, and he's turned a blind eye to all sorts of misbehavior.

I bet Jimbo Fischer is wondering when Bowden's old arse is gonna hang it up if he's not forced to. Kinda like the young groom who marries the rich old hag that won't kick the bucket. :)

I agree they should let him coach because without Bobby Bowden FSU will return to being just another 6-5 or 5-6 team. FSU is only a bigtime football program because of BB.

"At Florida State, Bowden inherited a team that had won just four games over the previous three seasons. In his 31 years as the head coach at Florida State, he has had only one losing season, his first in 1976. He is the only coach in Division I-A football history to have enjoyed 14 straight seasons of 10 or more wins. His Florida State Seminoles finished an unprecedented 14 straight seasons in the top 5 of the Associated Press College Football Poll, and won the College Football National Championship in 1993 and 1999."

And 9? maybe more straight Conference titles. Look I despise the seminoles as much as the next guy but dam Bowden is a great coach. and You dont just all of a sudden start sucking. FSU is just having to compete more and more for talent and they are losing that fight. With Miami coming back, UF getting even better, USF coming of age, heck even throw in UCF (taking some central florida talent) GA, Tenn, Bama all looking for recruits and making their programs better Its tough for FSU to compete.

And 9? maybe more straight Conference titles. Look I despise the seminoles as much as the next guy but dam Bowden is a great coach. and You dont just all of a sudden start sucking. FSU is just having to compete more and more for talent and they are losing that fight. With Miami coming back, UF getting even better, USF coming of age, heck even throw in UCF (taking some central florida talent) GA, Tenn, Bama all looking for recruits and making their programs better Its tough for FSU to compete.
Well without the 100% discounts at Dillard's and players being forced to go to class AND take their own exams FSU kinda loses its edge. :D

Recruiting trip to USF:

Son, over there is the dorm, we only have the one, where the nearly one out of 10 students that are not townies live. Actually most of the dorm students are townies too, but just live here to party. Remember, son this is a community college.

And over here is the oldest building on campus. Its almost 40 years old.

Now meet our booster club. Actually Joe could not be here, but the other 6 guys are glad to see you.

Now, lets go over to the football building. See that. Its a 1987 singlewide. Remember, our football tradition goes back nearly to when you were in grade school.

Now, on our 30 minute ride over to the stadium, remember that all of those houses are full of people who are blissfully unaware of the existance of USF. And, yes, we know we are 200 miles from south Florida. But that is the cool thing about going to a school with no fanbase. No presure.

Here we are at the stadium. See those tarps. Under those are a sea of empty seats. And the ones we fill, some of them cost almost $20 to get in, but, yes you can bring your family to games. No problem. $7 per.

Look at that student section. There is Bob, and Joe, and hey, Fred, how are you?

And you can test yourself against Rutgers, and Louisville, and even Syracuse.

--

You pull out a chair for any self-respecting athlete at the Swamp and the SEC and all that means, or take him to the U, or take him to FSU for a night game, and offer them all the ACC means, and they take USF, then one of two things is true.

Either USF is cheating, or BB is getting out coached with inferior athletes.

USF beating FSU is like Akron beating OSU. It just does not happen.

BB will quietly go.

Recruiting trip to USF:

Son, over there is the dorm, we only have the one, where the nearly one out of 10 students that are not townies live. Actually most of the dorm students are townies too, but just live here to party. Remember, son this is a community college.

And over here is the oldest building on campus. Its almost 40 years old.

Now meet our booster club. Actually Joe could not be here, but the other 6 guys are glad to see you.

Now, lets go over to the football building. See that. Its a 1987 singlewide. Remember, our football tradition goes back nearly to when you were in grade school.

Now, on our 30 minute ride over to the stadium, remember that all of those houses are full of people who are blissfully unaware of the existance of USF. And, yes, we know we are 200 miles from south Florida. But that is the cool thing about going to a school with no fanbase. No presure.

Here we are at the stadium. See those tarps. Under those are a sea of empty seats. And the ones we fill, some of them cost almost $20 to get in, but, yes you can bring your family to games. No problem. $7 per.

Look at that student section. There is Bob, and Joe, and hey, Fred, how are you?

And you can test yourself against Rutgers, and Louisville, and even Syracuse.

--

You pull out a chair for any self-respecting athlete at the Swamp and the SEC and all that means, or take him to the U, or take him to FSU for a night game, and offer them all the ACC means, and they take USF, then one of two things is true.

Either USF is cheating, or BB is getting out coached with inferior athletes.

USF beating FSU is like Akron beating OSU. It just does not happen.

BB will quietly go.
Very funny. :D Sounds a lot like What Miami would say about 25 years ago. But USF is not like Akron. They are in a BCS conference. As much as you may hate it, it's still true. And lots of kids from Florida don't care about what USF doesn't have because they want to stay close to home. That's what's worked for Miami. They have an off campus stadium too and play most of their home games before a sea of empty seats, but that's never stopped Miami from getting great players. USF has the potential to do the same thing. Basically here's their pitch. You wanna play in a BCS bowl game? You wanna stay close to home? Urban Meyer won't offer you a scholarship to Florida? Come to USF.

Even this big dummie(me) up north can see, that you better not take USF for granted. I don't know what they're doing down there, but you better not think they are Akron.

Hell, think that they're Akron, what do I care? More losses your way...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bobby is just the "face" of the football program. He is really only used during recruiting visits. ALL the coaching is done with subordinates.
I know, and it is a totally dysfunctional situation, but FSU never had a problem with it until now. They've been going downhill for several years now. They should have told Bowden to hang it up a long time ago once he started acting like a part time coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)