Where are you going if you drop E*?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Given that E* seems to change their minds each month as to the release of their new products (e.g., 811 & 921). Are you ready to switch providers? Here is an opportunity for all E* subscribers to express your dissastifaction with E*. Are you ready to jump ship based on the last CC and the Retailer Chat.

Think about this...

No 811/921 until December or Next Year.
You might be located in the non-superdish area
There might be no more HD channels added
CEO does not know the prices of their products and keeps going up every month.

I was really really angry at DISH a few months ago, over the same issues. Cost of 811 kept going up.....Continued delays in HD.

Well, I decided in September, that 811 wasn't coming out November 1 as announced, or even coming out and pretty well debugged. (my crystal ball was correct again) So, I bought a 6000u and have been enjoying DISH's HD and OTA HD ever since.

Does the 6000 offer everything the 811 does. Well, not quite, but the picture it great, and OTA works pretty darn well.

So, even thought the continued 811 price "increases" of $299, $399, $499 are simply crazy marketing on DISH's part, I'm sticking with my 6000 for now.

We will see what the coming year brings, I came close to moving to DirecTV earlier this year over the same issues. It could happen again, if DISH can't keep up with DirecTV.

Jeff

DirecTV's HD receivers are too expensive. Why pay $400 for their cheapest one when the 6000 is only $149?? What extra HD channels does D* offer that DISH doesn't?

For now I am sticking with Dish...

To move would not gain me anything more then I have now. The HD Packages are the same.

For me to upgrade to DirecTV I need to replace 5 recievers (1 or 2 being HD) and I don't have that kind of money to put up front at the moment.

Dish is scaring me at the moment, it appears no one at the helm of the ship. Words that come out of Charlies mouth are just words, I don't even think he knows what hes talking about anymore.

It scarry to be honest with you!

I am also staying with E*.

I have invested too much on E* ( Two 6000 receivers, One 721, and one 310). If by 2/04 the stability of the V* receiver is compatible to the 6000 and V* has an additional line up of HD channels (not counting the 21 exclusive) that do not appear in E*, I will get a V* receiver for my HD programming as an add on. Hopefully, there will be other promotions from V* that will not required a $750 initial fee.

You missed an option, . . . Dish & VOOM. If Dish doesn't solve the HD issues that I see, I will consider staying with dish (and drop to the absolute basic package), . . . take the money I save and add VOOM for my HD. Of course, I will need to wait and see how VOOM is going early next year.

Funny thing is, last summer when I went HD, I had a long decision process of whether to get a 6000u or wait for the 'soon to be released' HD DVR, which at that time was scheduled for a Dec 02 release. That's right, last summer, we were still expecting an end of the year release of what is now the 921. Guess getting the 6000 then was the correct move, . . . if VOOM is serious about HD and can deliver, . . . that just might be the best HD source for me.

I posted somewhere earlier that I was really disenchanted with E*. When I look at the alternatives things won't be much different. I want my 921 but in reality there is not much to see on it and where else am I going to get a DVR that records HD. I love my 508 except for the fact that it is "dumb".

brentp said:
You missed an option, . . . If Dish doesn't solve the HD issues that I see, I will consider staying with dish (and drop to the absolute basic package), . . . and add VOOM for my HD. Of course, I will need to wait and see how VOOM is going.

That actually sounds like a good option. I have heard a few people say that they are planning to add VOOM along with their existing systems

Well, I am really stuck in a hard place now, but am not going to make a decision until Christmas. If I do not have a 921 in my hands before then, I will be moving on.

I really hate to go to cable, but Insight in this area is looking MUCH better. On November 28, they are rolling out their expanded HD lineup... They are going to have the following:
Local Indy ABC (WRTV)
Local Indy CBS (WISH)
Local Indy FOX (WXIN)
Local Indy NBC (WTHR)
Local Indy PBS (not specified)
Local Indy UPN (WNDY) [Can not get over the air]
Local Indy WB (WNDY)
No subscription fee, just a per month DVR unified tuner and remote rental fee.

If I subscribe to any of the Premiums, I will get the East and West coast feeds of their HD stations, includes HBO, Showtime, TMC, Cinemax and Starz!. The west coast feeds may not be available immediately, though.

For $7.95 per month on top of digital basic, I'd get INHD (2 channels), Bravo HD, Discovery Theatre, HDNet (2 channels and ESPN-HD.

The set top box is a unified DVR.

I will not go to DirecTV because of a very bad experience with them.

So, I guess I am just waiting for now to see what happens. Ugh!

I plan on sticking it out. As disappointed as I am about Superdish not working in Florida, 921 delays etc., I have been happy. Also having $50/month in Club Dish credits right now makes my dish bill a measly $24. :)

I have already purchased a cheap Dish 300 to point back to 61.5, (now I'll have 3 dishes on the side of my house!) to get HBO HD, and anything else they may add.

John Walsh said:
brentp said:
You missed an option, . . . If Dish doesn't solve the HD issues that I see, I will consider staying with dish (and drop to the absolute basic package), . . . and add VOOM for my HD. Of course, I will need to wait and see how VOOM is going.

That actually sounds like a good option. I have heard a few people say that they are planning to add VOOM along with their existing systems

Like me

will stay thru 12/31/04, thru the end of Grandfathered distant CBS & NBC. The, we'll see. Already have EVu, wish their 6000 was a little less & I could get TIVO to work with EVu.. So far now, I'll stay. Since some Chicago locals are on 61, getting superdish means I lose those, but more HD channels on 105 would make it worth it.

Well, here I sit, still undecided. My annual ran out last week and i bought time by paying a month's worth of Top150.

I've been with DISH since 1997 so I've got the 3 rooms with TIVO for $99 option available, but the HD price is high. Up here in Ft Collins OTA HD isn't too viable, but the Cheyenne, Wyo station is blocking the CBS HD feed. I agree that DTV HD receivers are also pricey and here I sit with an HDTV set and no source.

The most viable option might be the 6000, but I would hate to buy ANOTHER box that is unsupportable 6 months out. I've already got useless 3000, 4000 and nearly useless 4900 box.

I'll probably stay wit5h DISH, but I'm not happy about it.

I am sticking with Dish because I am hoping they get the locals released next month and I can get the SuperStations. If DirecTv were to have locals available or to have them available soon that would be the most likely choice.

Just to qualify my "change to D*" response, since I've been with E* since almost the beginning I'll give them a little while longer to get their house in order. I know changeover costs will be high, but since the HD Tivo is supposed to be a couple hundred $ less than the 921, that money saved might at least give me a head start on the replacements.

I would have to say "Other". I have Dish & ExpressVu, but probably will be dropping Dish down to locals, Distant FOX, & Supers. It has nothing to do with Dish, rather, there is never anything on Dish and I seem to be watching ExpressVu more & more.
So my answer would be "ExpressVu"

Need Dish+ option

My continued 50+HBO+Sho for std def PVR & HD Recording is much less/month than Everything+HD Package sub.

I have been happy with E* for 5 or 6 years; not into HD yet. I am considering going to Cable (TWC) because of their "switch" offer ($29.95 for 12 months), that includes free HD box and all locals except NBC in HD, and movie channels at $5/mo for 12 months (I would get HBO and SHO). This would save me $30/mo and get me into HD. 12 months should be plenty of time for the "HD shootout" to happen. I would then switch back or to whatever looked best over the next 12 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)