Where can I get a Pole to mount a dish?

I have read that the metal poles should be cut at a 45 degree angle at the end that goes in the ground. Should that be done? Also, how high is too high for the portion sticking out of the ground? Where on line can I find an AT9 install manual?

Low end = galvanized steel chain link fence post.

High end = shedule 40 6061-T6 aluminum pipe. I've seen 20 -30 year old aluminum look great with a light patinina on the surface.

To keep the post from turning, I use a muffler/tail pipe clamp. No extra work, and it costs not much more than a dollar.

The post does not have to reach below the frost line, only the concrete it's imbeded in.

Also, I use a lathe turn PVC plastic fitting fitted to the inside of the aluminum pipe to cap the top.

If you are using a galvanized steel fence post, the bottom must be open to drain. Otherwise, accumulated water will cause the post to rust out at the bottom from the inside out over time.

charlesrshell said:
I have read that the metal poles should be cut at a 45 degree angle at the end that goes in the ground. Should that be done? Also, how high is too high for the portion sticking out of the ground? Where on line can I find an AT9 install manual?

36 to 48 inches is a good height. The longer the post is; the longer lever arm. The system acts like an upside down clock pendulum in high winds, I's do 6-7 ft as maximum. DirecPC requires 6 ft. due to microwave transmission.

Again, forget the hassle of cutting or drilling the end. Use an auto muffler clamp.

charlesrshell said:
This doesn't have any information on a pole mount, but here's a link to the AT9 installation manual http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/AT9_install_manual.pdf

charlesrshell said:
Thanks Mike500 for the good info. What kinda gravel, quantity, etc do you use in the bottom of the hole?

Any size about half inch across is fine.

If you are using concrete to extend the post below the frost line, a paper mailing or a piece of pvc sewer pipe should be used to extend the post below the concrete to internally drain it.

Scrap pvc pipe is often thrown away at construction sites.

Try Stainless Steel Sch 40 pipe. Will not rust. Plenty beefy. Can be polished to shine like chrome.

hey musky boy,

why not titanium??????????????????

48 fr*akin posts for WHAT??

go to lowes/ home depot , go to the plumbing dept. , get a 1.75 inch irrigation pole, GALVANIZED, (although black pipe will out last you) . dig a 2 foot hole 12 inch in diameter. one bag of cement, water it, let it set 4 hours, DONE!

I have heard of stainless steel too. Mike, what do you think of filling the pole with concrete too. Water should stay out of the pole and it should be stronger. Right? What do you think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts