Where did my 105 locals go???

sathelp

Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
After a year of happy satelliting, (pardon the term) my locals from 105 disappeared. Actually, for awhile their signal strength was spotty, and then they completely disappeared. It is as if there is something blocking them, but nothing is. Satellite 119 and 110 come in fine, but 105 is now nowhere to be found. When I still had 105, I checked to make sure the dish was not misaligned - the alignment was fine.

Is this a bad LNB? Dish wants me to pay $60/hour plus a high trip charge to diagnose it, but I don't want to pay the money if I can just replace the LNB myself. But because there are two LNB's on it, I don't know which to replace, or even if that's the problem. I've spent about 2 hours talking to some woman from dish network on the phone, only to realize that I am more competent when it comes to satellite systems than she is. (and I don't know much)

If the alignment seemed good before it went out, and there's nothing blocking it, is it the LNB? And if so, which LNB(F) do I replace? I have a Superdish, and it's got two LNB's on it, one larger than the other. Thanks for your help.

Try a hard reset...Unplug receiver while it is on count to 20 and plug back in then run a check switch through your menu options. If this doesn't correct the problem replace LNB. It is easier to find and replace the complete unit most of the time.

I tried the hard reset. When I test the switch, it shows satellite 105 as N.C., and everything else is fine.

If I do replace the LNB, which one do I replace? It's got one larger LNB and one smaller LNB. I'm assuming that it's the larger (do they call this a quad?), but I want to make sure before I look for one on ebay or something.

Any recommendations? Is this the LNB and which one do I replace?

sathelp said:
I tried the hard reset. When I test the switch, it shows satellite 105 as N.C., and everything else is fine.

If I do replace the LNB, which one do I replace? It's got one larger LNB and one smaller LNB. I'm assuming that it's the larger (do they call this a quad?), but I want to make sure before I look for one on ebay or something.

Any recommendations? Is this the LNB and which one do I replace?

I believe that the big one is 105/110 and the smaller one is 119. SimpleSimon or another expert can confirm or deny that.

did the dish get moved somehow? 105 is lower powered so if its off by 1/4" you'll get zippo

go into the install (menu 6-1-1) and post signal for transponders 11 & 12 for all 3 satellites (105, 110, 119)

Good stuff...

Thanks for your help, everybody. I'm suspecting that mine is going through the 'LNB failure' that other users are talking about. Mine started blacking out during the day, and then working at night. (starting this summer) I checked the alignment at that time, and it was perfect. The highest signal strength I've ever been able to get on 105 is around 60, which I've heard is not abnormal. If I moved the dish a fraction in any direction my signal disappeared. After a few weeks, the signal disappeared completely.

This has seemed to "stump" dish network. Originally, they told me that I should replace everything, and then told me how much they'd charge for it. [gasp] I then asked the lady why I just wouldn't switch to Direct TV for free if Dish Network was going to screw me over (not that I wanted to switch). And do you know her response? She told me that I'd probably get better signal from Direct TV and that a lot of people in her office are very happy with Direct TV's service!! Interesting sales technique.

Anyway...I'll replace that LNB and then post my results. Thanks everybody!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts