Where did the remote go?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mister_dk

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Newfield, NY
I have a "new" Xrica x-5 that I have been playing with. The satellite list was about 2 years old and needed updated. I found the loader for this system , backed up the existing software and satellite list, then downloaded a newer satellite list. once the download was complete it rebooted and came back on to the last channel that it had been on. When I tried to change the channel the remote refused to work. It had fresh batteries and was working prior to the backup/download process. I figured that the channel list that I had downloaded may have been bad since it hadn't been updated since April of 2007. I downloaded the original that I had backed up prior to the update and still no beans. the remote still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions (other than scrapping it and replacing it with a current brand).

Thanks

First, the obvious.... if it is a universal remote, is the STB mode selected? Could the remote have been accidently reprogrammed with a different IR code?

Did you load a Channel list or Firmware? Sounds like a firmware file was loaded with a different remote code?

Try reloading the original factory default firmware file.

The remote was working, correct?

I had a remote that just stopped while changing channels. A solder joint was bad. I took out the Soldering Iron and started re-heating connections, starting with the Battery connections, then the Chip. Ended up being the Chip.

First, the obvious.... if it is a universal remote, is the STB mode selected? Could the remote have been accidently reprogrammed with a different IR code?

Did you load a Channel list or Firmware? Sounds like a firmware file was loaded with a different remote code?

Try reloading the original factory default firmware file.

It very well could have included firmware. the writeup that was with it was not too descriptive. only said update with new satellites/channels.

I did try to reload the original that I backed up before I started. It said that it loaded successfully but I still had the same results.

Thanks

The remote was working, correct?

I had a remote that just stopped while changing channels. A solder joint was bad. I took out the Soldering Iron and started re-heating connections, starting with the Battery connections, then the Chip. Ended up being the Chip.

I do have a second virgin receiver. same make and model. The price was right when I bought them (29.99 + shipping). I didn't have time to try the remote from that system. When I get home from work, I will try the new remote.

One thing that I did see on another site was that I can clone one system from another with this model. I may try cloning the bad system from the unused system if I can't find any other answer.

Thanks

OK, Looks like the attempted satellite update is what killed the remote. I got the other receiver out to try the remote and the second remote did the same as the original. I powered down the malfunctioning receiver, connected the virgin receiver via the serial cable and fired up the transfer application. Once the transfer was started, I powered the faulty receiver back on. The process cloned the good system down to the faulty one. I then disconnected the new system and reconnected the faulty system back to the TV and everything is back and working. :D Sure am glad that I spent the extra $29 on the second receiver.

A BIG Thank-you to everyone that helped.
Duane

When that happened to me, it was on a Fortec Ultra that I bought on E-Bay. Little did I know, it came with hackware and the remote that I had been using with it was a Pansat remote.

When I loaded the factory firmware on it, the remote stopped working, so I looked on Ebay again for a remote and that's when I found that it had hackware.

I was without a receiver until my new Fortec remote arrived at which time it worked like a dream and still does.

Just a thought.

firmware

glen got it right I think, some of these boxes can run other brand's firmware, and some of the hacker stuff for one may run on the other - but disable some features (like remotes lol) or only some keys on the remote.

OK, Looks like the attempted satellite update is what killed the remote. I got the other receiver out to try the remote and the second remote did the same as the original. I powered down the malfunctioning receiver, connected the virgin receiver via the serial cable and fired up the transfer application. Once the transfer was started, I powered the faulty receiver back on. The process cloned the good system down to the faulty one. I then disconnected the new system and reconnected the faulty system back to the TV and everything is back and working. :D Sure am glad that I spent the extra $29 on the second receiver.

A BIG Thank-you to everyone that helped.
Duane
The same thing happenned to me & my remote is'nt working. Please send me the software. O can it only be fixed with another xrica?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)