Where does College Bowl money really go?

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Southwest Ohio
For those of you who get HBO, last night Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel aired a segment on college bowls and where the money goes. Allegations were brought up that could result in some fallout. All depends on who was watching (and their possible involvement of course). Here's a small clip I found on Youtube:

[youtube]giHTTJGsBDM[/youtube]

For those of you who get HBO, last night Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel aired a segment on college bowls and where the money goes. Allegations were brought up that could result in some fallout. All depends on who was watching (and their possible involvement of course). Here's a small clip I found on Youtube:

[youtube]giHTTJGsBDM[/youtube]

WOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

But you know WHY they have not touched it? Because it could soil the reputation of college football as a whole. See, when schools f**k up, hey...it's the school fault so it is handled on a case-by-case basis. In a situation like this, this is MUCH worse.

WOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

But you know WHY they have not touched it? Because it could soil the reputation of college football as a whole. See, when schools f**k up, hey...it's the school fault so it is handled on a case-by-case basis. In a situation like this, this is MUCH worse.
Exactly. I don't see this going away. Me thinks there will be a lot of politicians shredding finance contribution records in the near future. ;)

Exactly. I don't see this going away. Me thinks there will be a lot of politicians shredding finance contribution records in the near future. ;)

Let's face it...the Bowls have become their own worst nightmare with all the money that is flowing. It use to be a time that Bowls would barely payout half a million bucks..and that was the big ones like the Rose, Orange, Sugar and the Fiesta. Now...look at this:

2011 BCS Payouts

-- Automatic qualifier conferences $145.2 million

-- Non-automatic qualifier conferences $24.72 million

AQ Conferences

-- Big Ten, Pac-10, SEC $27.2 million

-- ACC, Big 12, Big East $21.2 million

-- Total: $145.2 million

Non-AQ Conferences

-- Mountain West $12.75 million

-- WAC $4.05 million

-- Conference USA $3.34 million

-- Mid-American $2.64 million

-- Sun Belt $1.94 million

-- Total: $24.72 million

Others

-- FCS conferences $2.25 million

-- Notre Dame $1.7 million

-- Army $100,000

-- Navy $100,000

-- Total: $4.15 million

Read more: SBJ: BCS payouts grow along with big shares for Big Six conferences - NCAA Football - Sporting News

I usually don't watch Real Sports but I might now watch this segment if they repeat or see it on HBO GO. Anyway, this is why I've lost interest in college football. The whole BCS system is crazy. The worse part is the reasoning of why those guys are defending this system: They always say that if there were an actual playoff system, the people wouldn't be interested and money would be lost. And I say that is BS. If there was an actual playoff system in college football with some kind of college Super Bowl to end the preseason, I'm sure there would be a lot more people interested. The ratings would go up and therefore the revenue from advertising and other sources would go up. The only reason why the BCS still exists is because the guys who run the big six conferences don't want to lose their power that they have in controlling the whole system. Somebody needs to step up and say that's BS; whether it's the NCAA or the federal government because the BCS is just plain wrong.

These people obviously aren't defending the bowl system. Looks like this is where things started...

PlayoffPAC

1-fc2fae3c49.jpg

2-928b49f78d.jpg

I haven't seen this piece. I will try to DVR it this week, but the head of the Fiesta Bowl was recently fired for using their money for campaign contributions.

Last edited:
I dont know too much about college football and the bowls and stuff but it seems like they've gotten bigger. Whether it be the tv contracts and/or the bowls themselves (more bowl games, every bowl game with a sponsor in front of it) it seems like thats not going away. I mean for me a red flag would have been when they now have a BCS National Championship Game to decide a college football champion. Well, wasnt the BCS, with the Sugar, Fiesta, Orange and Rose Bowl supposed to decide the champion?

Like I said, Im not a road scholar when it comes to this but I also think that the networks and money drive the bowl games now. Back 20 or 30 yrs. ago, I think the bowl games were just the bowl games. Now, its network and money driven.

salsadancer7 said:
Geez...then you wonder the example they are setting for the athletes..."hey, if THEY can go to strip clubs...I am old enough, why can't I?"

I see the point you're trying to make, but these athletes aren't young adolescents looking to anyone, including bowl officials, for moral guidance. That's not reality, at least for most. I'm sure those interested in seeing the inside of a strip club won't check to see if the president of the Fiesta Bowl has been before going. :D

I see the point you're trying to make, but these athletes aren't young adolescents looking to anyone, including bowl officials, for moral guidance. That's not reality, at least for most. I'm sure those interested in seeing the inside of a strip club won't check to see if the president of the Fiesta Bowl has been before going. :D

I am pointing out the hypocrisy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts