Where have all my Dish HD channels gone?!?!

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but as threads on this great forum quickly grow to over 100 pages, sometimes it is tough to filter out the nuggets from the chatter on here. So, apologies if this is a repost...

Dish seems to have removed a lot of the HD channels we enjoyed over the past year. When I go to the "My HD Channel" list now I see the locals, a handful of channels I don't watch and about 30 PPV and VOD channels that I don't watch.

(1) Are the lost HD channels coming back?
(2) Will I get more HD for my money over on DirectTV?

We have been a loyal Dish customer for almost 20 years but as we watch more "cable" channels and less networks these days, I miss not having FOOD network, DISCOCERY, AMC and others in HD (and AMC is going away entirely?)

Right now I'm more concerned about my HD offerings, though. Anyone with a big screen knows that watching SD is unacceptable now that all shows are shot in HD. We lose out on most of the experience watching a grainy SD picture.

Thank you for any info. My wife is demanding a switch to DirectTV, and I want to know if it is warranted....

-todd

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but as threads on this great forum quickly grow to over 100 pages, sometimes it is tough to filter out the nuggets from the chatter on here. So, apologies if this is a repost...

Dish seems to have removed a lot of the HD channels we enjoyed over the past year. When I go to the "My HD Channel" list now I see the locals, a handful of channels I don't watch and about 30 PPV and VOD channels that I don't watch.

We have been a loyal Dish customer for almost 20 years but as we watch more "cable" channels and less networks these days, I miss not having FOOD network, DISCOCERY, AMC and others in HD (and AMC is going away entirely?)

Right now I'm more concerned about my HD offerings, though. Anyone with a big screen knows that watching SD is unacceptable now that all shows are shot in HD. We lose out on most of the experience watching a grainy SD picture.

Thank you for any info. My wife is demanding a switch to DirectTV, and I want to know if it is warranted....

-todd

Food Network and Discovery have not been dropped. AMC and some others are in the 9000 range for the time being.

Those HD channels haven't gone anywhere. Look in the menus (press menu 6>1>1 and check switch) and see what sats you are looking at, there should be 3 listed with green OK highlighted. It could be your dish is slightly out of alignment or maybe a bad lnb or switch.

Other than AMC those should still be there. Do you have a full eastern or western arc, or is it a mixed arc setup?

It could be you have what is called a mixed arch system. Ie a 61.5 wing dish with a 110/119 500 dish. If you do, this could cause you to miss hd channels. Or it could be low signal. Go in to your stb (set top box) health live screen .Press menu then 6 then 3 select analysis. Then select send status. Then select connection. After the connection test is ran select the check signal this will show you the type of orbitals your receiver is looking at and their signal strengths. I use this more then the 6 1 3 method as you could have a lower signal and still show a green box. Do you know what orbitals/satellite you should be on?

-todd

1.We will see.
2.DISH has more Basic Channels in HD,DirecTV has more Sports Channels and Premium Channels in HD respectively.
3. If you have never had DirecTV you may like it better,I always say everyone should try each provider at least once to see which one is the right fit for them.Good Luck!:)

Here are the channel numbers for the HD channels you're looking for:

Food Network - 110
Discovery - 182
AMC - 9610

Also, channel package obviously affects availability of these channels. Feel free to PM me with your package and any other HD channels you're looking for, and I can help you find whether they are available to you and the channel numbers.

If you still have trouble viewing the above HD channels and are subscribed to a package that provides them, I would do as another member suggested and contact DISH directly. They can have a technician come out and fix any technical issues you may be having.

A look at the Dish website would have told him is wrong on everything. Maybe he changed to a different guide?

Thanks, Guys. I will definitely check that switch setup and see if this is a weak signal situation. I hope that's what it is. I do have a two dish setup with the 61.5 dish with a 110/119 500 dish.

I have my own custom list, of course, but the My HD and the My Channel lists have always been populated with all available HD channels, and things were dropping. I have not seen any obvious notifications in my menus so was not aware that if channels lose signal integrity they just drop off and you don't get a warning of this without looking for it. I have the America's Top 250 package.

If there were recent changes from Dish, I missed the memo. :) I tend to tech out once I am shopping for new hardware/service and when I'm getting set up. Then I just hope it will work and free my brain up for family and other hobbies.

I'll report back. Thanks again for the insight. I hope it's something simple. I really hate having to call Dish Customer support....

Well there is your problem... the HD channels are not on 61.5 anymore.

Contact one of the DIRT members here at SatelliteGuys and they will get your system updated. :)

Not sure how you missed all the mail and phone calls DISH did before making this move. They were calling so much it was getting annoying (especially after I was already upgraded) :D

Well there is your problem... the HD channels are not on 61.5 anymore.

Contact one of the DIRT members here at SatelliteGuys and they will get your system updated. :)

Not sure how you missed all the mail and phone calls DISH did before making this move. They were calling so much it was getting annoying (especially after I was already upgraded) :D

Yeah, we got rid of our land line and use mostly cells these days. So, if Dish was calling our old landline (now a rarely checked VOIP) that could be what we missed.

So, is this something I can fix on my own without calling Dish?

Regarding the time....yup, have been quietly watching my shrunk HD list thinking "they really suck!" LOL you have to understand, I had gone through such pains with Dish Customer Service in the past that it takes me a lot to want to pick up the phone and call them..... Apparently, at my loss.

So, is this something I can fix on my own without calling Dish?

No, not a smart DIY proposition. Requires new dish. As Scott said, contact DIRT....bottom of Forum page...logged on members in RED.

LOL you have to understand, I had gone through such pains with Dish Customer Service in the past that it takes me a lot to want to pick up the phone and call them..... Apparently, at my loss.

When you put it that way, no, you came out ahead.... :D

But all that is past history, we now have the DIRT team to the rescue. Use them and get all your channels back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)