Where in the world is “Channel One Network?”

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
I was wondering if anyone knows the satellite location for Channel One Network, the one public schools use for PVR in their classrooms. I know my son always came home from school and told me things about what he saw on there just about every day before school let out this summer. He and I talked about it this morning and he asked me if it could be picked up via FTA but information about what satellite they use is very fuzzy at the most. When you go to lyngsat it gives the contact information and the main website but the satellite location says “Satellites: Satellite details not available”. :confused:

I would venture to think that it is a scrambled channel but if so, why hide the location of the bird? Their website says nothing on how or where to point a dish just how to set PVR functions to record the feeds each day. I am very curious to know the location of the bird. I remember on one of my blind scans a while back I had a channel one and a channel two pop in afterwards but they were CAS. I wonder if that was them.

I am about ready to drive up to the High School and see the dish location for myself to get a ball park idea. You can see the dish for it at my son’s school out behind the back parking lot. Theirs looks like an Anderson dish KU style. Now that he has asked me about it today, he has my curiosity up now too so I thought I would run it by the guys here to see what input I get back. Keep me posted either CAS or FTA and what bird they use, I want to know!

Channel One used to be distributed on Galaxy 10R ku in analog. I believe they have recently switched to a digital format (IPTV) on Galaxy 18 ku.

looks like i might be able to pick it up on my analog receiver, but doubt its still on in the summer, since school is out?

its not iptv here at my school theres this big vcr-receiver combo, its sent at night and played-back during the day .

Last edited by a moderator:
Techfizzle, that headend is so sweet. We had it at our school. It allows you to do "live" mode. It involves pressing 2 buttons @ the same time to turn the TVs on, then your pretty much "live" throughout the school's TV system. If you all have a TV program/club at your school , its a great little trick for doing live announcements.

If your TV studio is in another building (separate of the headend), great opportunity to get a 2.4 gig or 5.8 gig TV sender and test it's distance from building to building.

i think we might have a headend to. I have seen my principal on ther before. Since you metionned pressing two buttons, my a/v teacher has to press the button when its time to play it during advisory. i dont think we have an actual tv studio. i thinks thats for big fancy schools like in dallas or chicago, not this little podunk town.

The room where the Channel One headend (VCR) lies. It should probably be in the library (in my case previously) or in the media center. Can't miss it. It's taller than the average human. Has the Channel 1 logo on it. Also has A/V input jacks for doing live stuff. :)

Obviously if it's fuzzy, it's coming off the VCR. If it had been IPTV, it would be clear as a bell. It's gonna be a while before all schools are updated.

i thought it was fuzzy because the signal is split to 50+ tv sets. The tvs are from the late 80's. What realy creeps me out, all the tvs turn on by themsleves at the same time. They cannot be doing it through the plug-in, because the power button is not an on-off switch, just a push button, there is no remotes for these tv or if sender. So how in the heck do they all turn on with no remote?

If you go to their webpage you will find they have either a timer or a switch at the headend to turn on all the TVs remotely when the school wants to play the broadcast. Overwise the teachers can turn on the individual rooms as they want. it is a "sponsor pays per view" system. Reminds me of 1984 by George Orwell.

There are 2 buttons on the headend. If both are pressed @ the same time, this will send the signal to turn on all TVs. This is done via the coax. These are custom Magnavox TVs that can respond to that contact closure from the headend unit.

There is a massive amplifier that sends that signal to all TVs. Probably a CATV grade unit, not consumer grade. That's why it's called a headend. It's a mini-cable system.

The fuzziness is due to the fact that it's VHS. Nothing can be done about it.

Also, they constantly tape over the old show on the SAME TAPE EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR MONTHS! Channel 1 allows NO ONE to remove the tape. Only Channel 1 engineers are allowed to remove/replace the headend tape. The playback VCR is even guarded by the headend housing. Once it goes IPTV, you'll see an amazing difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)