where is a good place to buy dish eqpt?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MikeInAlaska

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I thought the sponsors ^ ^ ^ would be a good start? My father wants to get setup with a DVR and DPP switch. I gave him the telephone number for The DishStore from the above website and told him the site shows the DVR 722 for $409. He called and they told him in fact it was $550 for the 722 and they do not want to sell it, they want to lease it, and it would require a technician to install.

Where can we just order the 722 and pay for it and have them ship it to us?

Thanks
Mike in Wasilla

I just bought mine on Fleabay ( a 211 and 211k). Reputable places selling new boxes - emailed for serial numbers first and checked that there was no balance with Dish. I never want to lease like with Direct.

Satboyz

I just bought mine on Fleabay ( a 211 and 211k). Reputable places selling new boxes - emailed for serial numbers first and checked that there was no balance with Dish. I never want to lease like with Direct.

Satboyz

Question, what is the advantage of buying vs. lease?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something!

thanks.

I'm not much into leases (or 24 month commitments either.) Sell me a piece of hardware, then leave me alone : ) If I want to unsubscribe from Dish, I dont want multiyear contracts.

i.e.
1) buy
2) bye!

Give DishStore a call back, sounds like the first time you called you went to the answering service. Call again and ask for Claude.

They would be happy to sell you one. :)

Ebay

There are numerous 722K's on ebay fight now some have not even been bid up to 300. Saw 1 that is around 217 and still has over a day before bidding ends. There was even 1 that has only 1 bid so far at 100. Thing is the seller has no rating yet.

Question, what is the advantage of buying vs. lease?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something!

thanks.

About the only advantage to buying is not having a 24-month commitment. The first receiver fee is in the package price. All additional HD receivers after the first are $7 per month. If you lease, it's the lease payment; if you buy, they call it an additional receiver fee.

About the only advantage to buying is not having a 24-month commitment. The first receiver fee is in the package price. All additional HD receivers after the first are $7 per month. If you lease, it's the lease payment; if you buy, they call it an additional receiver fee.

Dishstore.net, bought two recieviers from them, excellent service.

The Dishstore will sell you a unit. I have bought a few receivers from them. But, be aware that you miss out on a lot of discounts if you do not want to commit.

I hate to say it, but I'm totally confused with this purchased receiver stuff. :)

When I had my system installed, I was told the receiver needed to be installed by a technician. So, I had the entire system installed by one.

Now my neighbor wants a system but would like me to install it for him (he's older and can't do it himself). But I told him I couldn't do it because they need to be installed by Dish techs.

Does this mean he could purchase everything, I do the install for him, and he'd still be able to activate the receiver? Or, does a tech still need to come out to activate the receiver?

Sorry for what might be a stupid question that's been asked before, but I can't find any clear cut answer.

If you buy a new receiver you can get it activated by Dish. Dish insists on installs on leased receivers because they want to be sure it is going somewhere valid, after all they still own it.

Just be aware that some "used" equipment cannot be activated. Some sell their leased receivers instead of returning them Dish. Also if the receiver was flagged on an account with signal theft, you will have problems. You can call Dish in advance of the purchase with the receiver and smartcard #s and ask. With all new equipment from a reputable dealer like Dishstore you will not have a problem.

The main question is why do it all yourself instead of having Dish do it? For $99 and no discounts dish will lease you a reciever and do the installation without commitment. If you cancel you have to send back the receiver and possibly part of the dish. There is a lot of work to install a dish. The cost of a dish/switch is more than $99 alone. Not to mention you have to buy a receiver (yes you might get some of that money back by selling it on ebay when done with it).

Thank you very much! That clears things up for me.

Some people, especially some older folks have a problem with not owning things. I know my father would squash a deal if the word "Lease" came up for anything. If he didn't own it outright he felt he owed someone something and never liked that idea.

The install would be fairly easy. It's on a flat roof with a clear view in any direction. So it wouldn't be bad at all.

This one time my mother-in-law switched from Dish to local (and awful quality!) TV over DSL. She wasn't going to use her 311 any longer so I took it.

I called up to get it activated, they said SURE but you need a new card for it, and its *in the mail* to you now!

Right before the card arrived, my mother-in-law arrived saying "Sorry, it was leased evidently and they want it back."

So sometimes it seems Dish Network reps cant tell if the rcvr you are activating is under someone elses lease.

So sometimes it seems Dish Network reps cant tell if the rcvr you are activating is under someone elses lease.

When you got your new smartcard it probably still would not activate. They probably did not see that the receiver would not activate because it was lease and they sent a card out.

Just got off the phone with Claude and he confirmed it was an after-hours-answering-service oddity my father experienced. Needless to say, this call was quite successful : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts