pens game

molo316

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Can someone please explain why the Pens game is blackout out tonight on NHL network? I live in ohio for cryin out loud@!

What is your local RSN? FSN-Ohio? I wonder if you order the Multisports package you will get the game on FSN-Pittsburgh.

What is your local RSN? FSN-Ohio? I wonder if you order the Multisports package you will get the game on FSN-Pittsburgh.

Yes i have fsn ohio, live in canton ohio, why is it blacked out like that???

Its one of two things. Either Dish screwed up and blacked out a zip code by entering it incorrectly (you can check by seeing if a neighbor with directv or cable got the game) or you fall within the "sphere of influence" for the Penguins. If Dish screwed up, there isn't much you can do as once the blackout gets put into their system it isn't going to be changed. It is more likely the "sphere of influence" issue. You didn't say where in Ohio you live, but if its withing 100-150 miles of Pittsburgh, you are within the sphere of influence. As it was explained to me by the NHL's VP of Broadcast Communications a few years ago, when it comes to national networks (NHL Network, Versus, NBC), the rules for blackouts are different than on RSN's or on Center Ice. For example, I used to live in San Diego county, approx 110 miles from the Honda Center where the Ducks play. During the playoffs one year the game was on Versus nationally and KDOC a local channel in LA/OC. Even though there was no way to receive the channel on Dish or OTA, it was still blacked out on Versus. There is just no way around it and it is an unfortunate situation. Although as previously mentioned, if it was on FSN-Pit you might have been able to get it if you had the multi-sport package, it just depends which NHL team claims your area. You may also be in an area that allows two teams to be seen, although you'll have to get the multi-sport package to know for sure.
Hope that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)