Where Should The Circular Sit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nightcreaturex

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Canada
I've been reading alot about people zip stripping or hose clamping a second lnb onto thier dish and I was planning to give it a go myself in the morning.

I'm currently using a linear ku lnb which is mounted onto a 36 inch motorized dish. I want to add a circular lnb to my setup and I'm wondering should the linear lnb remain mounted on the dish and then the circular be zip stripped along side? Zip strip the second lnb to the left side or the right side or does it matter?

Hope that makes sense lol

Yes keep the Linear LNBF where it is and zip tie a DBS LNB to the side, then motor round until you hit the DBS signal, any side will work, try to get it as close to the same height and distance from the dish as the Linear LNBF.

Question to tack onto this discussion. Does offsetting the second lnb put it onto a different aim of the dish? Say the 2nd lnb is sitting to the east of the lnb you have already aimed and aligned with your receiver. Wouldn't the second lnb now be picking up a satellite to the west of your aim point?

Yes you have to motor round until you hit the DBS satellite. If you have a fixed dish then the DBS LNB has to be perfectly placed to pick up any signal.

TiminMb said:
Question to tack onto this discussion. Does offsetting the second lnb put it onto a different aim of the dish? Say the 2nd lnb is sitting to the east of the lnb you have already aimed and aligned with your receiver. Wouldn't the second lnb now be picking up a satellite to the west of your aim point?

Just doctor the degrees a bit in USALS till you find a good signal. Like Echo119 might be at 115 in USALS.

You guys are getting faster and faster with the answers lol Thanks very much for the reply psb :) I'll be at it tomorrow, weather permitting of course lol

PSB said:
Yes keep the Linear LNBF where it is and zip tie a DBS LNB to the side, then motor round until you hit the DBS signal, any side will work, try to get it as close to the same height and distance from the dish as the Linear LNBF.

what I've done with the DBS slot is make sure you're on the true south (if your motoring) and put it level with the KU band. Since DBS is stronger, there is more room for error :)

If you put it to the left of the KU (if you're in front of the dish), you can hit IA5 and Nimiq1 at the same time for the ethnic stuff and the audio :)

I have mine to the right of the KU, so if I am on 74 for KU....the DBS is almost at 82 :)

I ended up attacthing to the left with the DBS and the KU sitting almost perfectly side by side ( I didn't see this post before hand lol). It's working like a charm now, the analog isn't effected by the DBS at all and DBS signal is very strong.

I used zip ties for now and if need be I'll switch to hose clamps, probably should have used hose clamps but it's working now so i don't want to mess with it unless need be lol

Quick question if someone spots it. The way I have this setup now, If I wanted to subscribe to a package from Bell Expressvu to get the Scream channel and Drive-In would I be able to pull all of 91's channles in through the DBS by aiming that way?

Thanks for all your help everyone :cool: much appreciated.

Iceberg said:
what I've done with the DBS slot is make sure you're on the true south (if your motoring) and put it level with the KU band. Since DBS is stronger, there is more room for error :)

If you put it to the left of the KU (if you're in front of the dish), you can hit IA5 and Nimiq1 at the same time for the ethnic stuff and the audio :)

I have mine to the right of the KU, so if I am on 74 for KU....the DBS is almost at 82 :)

You probably would want a fixed dish if you were to subscribe to bell, but with a standard dish you can do the same thing to pull in both 82 and 91. With a 24in dish you need small spacer between the two LNBF's and would have to have one lower to compensate for the difference in elevation. This method works great if you do not have an eliptical dish.

Larry, are you saying the a standard LNBF could pick up 91, without having to strap a circular LNB?

Also, if I were to do like nightcreaturex and strap it side by side...will it add more weight, thus changing the Ku focal point? I have brackets that hold the 30" dish with an H-H motor.

When checking Lyngsat.com, is shows that there are quite a few audio channels there are for free (eg. 119W) and I like the commercial free stuff to relax too ;)

Mark2074 said:
Larry, are you saying the a standard LNBF could pick up 91, without having to strap a circular LNB?

What I was saying is that if you are going to subscribe to BEV, then you would want a separate fixed dish. If you have a standard, single fixed dish for BEV with one circular LNBF, then you can add a second circular LNBF by adding a small spacer (for the 24inch dish) and straping the second LNBF to the LNBF attached to the dish. You just need to adjust the second LNBF slightly for the change in elevation of the second satellite. With BEV you would want a fixed dish as the BEV receivers can only pick up signals from BEV. (welll... except for a very few other signals that are in the clear... but you would not watch anyways)

Hi Larry, I already subscribe to BEV. I use a seperate fixed dish. The dish is located on the roof and a distance away from the Ku Band dish and it is not in the line of sight for 119W. Obviously, I don't want to install another fixed 18" dish just for audio on 119W (I don't want to drill more holes in the house), but there are many good audio channels that appear to be in the clear and would love to attach the ird to my stereo reciever. I wouldn't be interested in test card stuff video and the like.

Just trying to see how far I could push my setup lol Luckily I do have my Bev dish still kicking around in the basement from when I subscribed to the service ages ago, I never even took the bracket off the house lol I figured one day I might want to put it back up. My Bev dish only had a single lnb though o_O they upgraded to a second bird I take it and I'll b making a trip to Radio Shack I guess >_< buggers...or can I pull of another lnb strap job for that dish you think?

*edited to compensate for my bad memory* I remember 82 was part of the service but not for most of the popular stuff, then they added some new channels that are now on 82 right?

Larry1 said:
You probably would want a fixed dish if you were to subscribe to bell, but with a standard dish you can do the same thing to pull in both 82 and 91. With a 24in dish you need small spacer between the two LNBF's and would have to have one lower to compensate for the difference in elevation. This method works great if you do not have an eliptical dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)