Where the heck is Penguins vs Thrashers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ricknau

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
Venting...

I've been waiting 3 days to watch this. The guide gave a date and time for it to show on ch 95 (3/24 1pm eastern). Invite my son over (huge Penguins fan). We settle in, turn on the TV... nothing. Black screen. Called Directv. They say if the arena doesn't sell out they can't show the game and that that must be the case. :( You gotta be sh**ing me! Is that really the deal? Why can't they black it out in selected zipcodes near the game city? They should put the words "maybe if it doesn't sell out" in the guide data. :mad:

What's with this channel anyhow? It's like they're just dribbling out little tastes of content. Is it going to go full time in the future?

95 is just a best of channel. They pick up the feed from one of the RSN channels for either Pittsburgh or Atlanta (in this case). You will only be able to tune to the HD game on 95 IF the feed they are using is your local RSN. So unless you are in the Pittsburgh or Atlanta market this game will be blacked out to you (unless you have Center Ice of course).

And never count on getting a game on 95, it's not 100% cause you never know what feed they will use and the schedule may change as well.

95 is just a best of channel. They pick up the feed from one of the RSN channels for either Pittsburgh or Atlanta (in this case). You will only be able to tune to the HD game on 95 IF the feed they are using is your local RSN. So unless you are in the Pittsburgh or Atlanta market this game will be blacked out to you (unless you have Center Ice of course).

And never count on getting a game on 95, it's not 100% cause you never know what feed they will use and the schedule may change as well.

And that's not always full proof because today I am in one of those markets (the RSN, not DMA) and a CI subscriber and didn't get the game (as noted on the DBS forum).

Venting...

I've been waiting 3 days to watch this. The guide gave a date and time for it to show on ch 95 (3/24 1pm eastern). Invite my son over (huge Penguins fan). We settle in, turn on the TV... nothing. Black screen. Called Directv. They say if the arena doesn't sell out they can't show the game and that that must be the case. :( You gotta be sh**ing me! Is that really the deal? Why can't they black it out in selected zipcodes near the game city? They should put the words "maybe if it doesn't sell out" in the guide data. :mad:

What's with this channel anyhow? It's like they're just dribbling out little tastes of content. Is it going to go full time in the future?

Rick, I hear ya, the channel usually has NBA or NHL games and the occassional PPV. It would be nice to provide those of us with HD access, especially when I am getting the SD from the RSN, why not give me the HD too!?!

As for your son coming over to watch the game, I definitely feel your pain. I had my father travel 5 hours by train back in January for the Hockey Day in Canada telecast, only to have the first 4.5 hours blacked out. D* blacked out the first two hours that were not subject to black out, as evidenced by the comcast and Dish subscribers that watched it. It's sad that we pay all of this money and still have to put up with the BS. And as I type this, D* just blacked out the post game of the Leafs/Sabres game. They will "rejoin" the CBC broadcast at 10 EDT. Is it really hurting anyone to see what Don Cherry has to say about the game??!?!

I am in So Cal no where near those markets (and have center ice) and all we had was black screen on 95. Sucks

They say if the arena doesn't sell out they can't show the game and that that must be the case. :( You gotta be sh**ing me! Is that really the deal?

QUOTE]

I believe that Directv's telephone rep gave you incorrect info. The blackout rule for sellouts was created for the NFL football games NOT hockey.

As usual they give you a song and dance answer....not always the truth.

They say if the arena doesn't sell out they can't show the game and that that must be the case. :( You gotta be sh**ing me! Is that really the deal?

QUOTE]

I believe that Directv's telephone rep gave you incorrect info. The blackout rule for sellouts was created for the NFL football games NOT hockey.

You're correct Bosco, stadium sellouts are only a factor for NFL (not sure on NBA) but definitely not an NHL issue.

The way I understand it the whole issue is due to the NHL, not Directv. Which is also why we cannot see the little segways between the games on HNIC, which is stupid to me, you're showing both games on the same channel, for goodnessakes leave the stinkin feed up between!

I live in South Louisiana, so I should get EVERYTHING with no blackouts or BS. That's why I shell out $$$$ for Center Ice. :mad:

I've decided that this year is my last for Center Ice. I have had it every year since 1996. Maybe I'll miss it and be back, maybe I won't. I don't know. But with the SD PQ of Directv going in the crapper and the HD PQ already there, I'm out. Their loss. :(

QUOTE]

The game was in Pittsburgh and the arena was sold out...SRO...again. Gee, someone must have had bad information when they fed you that line.

The way I understand it the whole issue is due to the NHL, not Directv. Which is also why we cannot see the little segways between the games on HNIC, which is stupid to me, you're showing both games on the same channel, for goodnessakes leave the stinkin feed up between!

Agreed, last night the second that Grapes from HNIC came on I got the D* screen with the classic rock playing. Then D* put the exact same feed back on at 10. What did we have to lose that 22 minutes? I mean, come on, could you see the NFL blacking out the clowns that do the post-game then bringing the second game back on 20 minutes later?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)