Where to buy an external USB Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
What all can you do with the ethernet external hard drive that you cannot do with the usb hard drive? What can you do with it if it is not hooked up to the computer? Share it with a media center through a dvr ethernet port?

Stargazer said:
What all can you do with the ethernet external hard drive that you cannot do with the usb hard drive? What can you do with it if it is not hooked up to the computer? Share it with a media center through a dvr ethernet port?

The Ethernet enclosure can be plugged directly into you're home network. The drive is then visible to all computers in the house (for something like mp3 streaming). If you're all wi-fi, it can be plugged in with a wi-fi bridge.

My Maxtor came with one USB and two Ethernet ports. Now I know what the Ethernets are for. Can they be used to hook up a second external hard drive?

Sounds like a good solution for those wanting to share previously recorded videos from a DVR system with all the tv's in a house. SOunds like something Dish Network and DirecTv should do.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm looking at this 300GB Seagate Barracuda, ATA-100, 7200, Ultra 2.0 USB External Hard Drive Enclosure at Tigerdirect.com for $89.99 after rebate. I plan to use it with my Dish Network 622 HD DVR (when supported) or as backup storage for my PCs and laptops.

Does anyone have any experience with this drive? Is it a Deal or No Deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2205174&sku=TC3T-1010
The drive is fine...its TigerDirect that sucks. You have less than a 50% chance of getting your rebate.

http://www.woot.com/

Here, today only. is a 250GB HD for 54.99 while the supplies last. Offer will end when the supplie runs out, or at midnight tonight. Have bought from here on a few ocasions when the deal is right with no problems. They have one item a day.

StevenD said:
The drive is fine...its TigerDirect that sucks. You have less than a 50% chance of getting your rebate.
I've been shopping TigerDirect for many years. I file rebates all the time and the only rebates (2 of them) that were never receivered were from TigerDirect vendors. Anyway, I keep records and TigerDirect will always honor their vendor rebates...it's just more time tracking and following up the rebate then it is worth.

I bought a SimpleTech SimpleDrive® 500GB External Hard Drive (NAS)
USB 2.0 for $289.99 from Costco a few weeks ago. Using it for now to move songs from home networked PCs, etc.

It sells elsewhere for $400+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)