Where to buy DP-3020?

migpt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Does anyone know where to buy DP-3020. Any response is appreciated

I bought one on eBay 2 weeks ago, BUT, it’s not working properly with two 811 stb’s… Apparently I have an older 3020 or, perhaps it’s a fake. Actual photo from eBay is included below…

The photo of the DP-3020 that I saw before on the forum was slightly different. A bit rounder in shape and, more importantly, the OTA 12V feed came from the REC 1 output ONLY. As you can see in the photo, my OTA in is fed by both the REC 1 and REC 2 connections.

If I disconnect one of the 811’s at the stb, the other 811 works just fine, so, if you're just planning on hooking up one receiver to it, you can buy mine for $5 + shipping. With 2 811’s, my problem is that the OTA signal is 90%+ BUT I’m constantly loosing the satellite signal on both 811’s. I’m taking a voltmeter up on the roof tomorrow to see if maybe some of the voltage from one stb is passing through the 3020 somehow and screwing up the other stb although the schematic on the component indicates that the voltage only passes one way.

Lastly, I’ve been conversing with a tech at Winegard and explained my situation (former Voomer trying to get the Senstar II working w/ dish…). They have lots of the 3020’s on hand and I expect to have a price tomorrow and, hopefully, they’re going to go cheap since, apparently, this component was specifically designed for Voom. Considering my situation, however, I’m prepared to pay $$ for one.

Attachments

• dp 3020.bmp
    248.1 KB · Views: 313
This is how I hooked up my two 811's with the 3020 combiner. My 3020 looks just like yours also. Make sure that the right connections are going to the right ports on the 3020.

Attachments

• Winegard.jpg
    Winegard.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 362
ChadH said:
With 2 811’s, my problem is that the OTA signal is 90%+ BUT I’m constantly loosing the satellite signal on both 811’s.
Okay, you are using a diplexer at each reciever to split the signal again, right? And if so, are those the VOOM diplexer's? My VOOM diplexer's would not work on one reciever (good OTA but no SAT switches recognized) , so I bought a couple of RCA 2150 MHz types and problem solved. Perfect OTA reception on two DISH receivers (using the exact same DP-3020 you have).

joverstr2 said:
This is how I hooked up my two 811's with the 3020 combiner. My 3020 looks just like yours also. Make sure that the right connections are going to the right ports on the 3020.

I’ve got the same setup, connected just like your diagram (plus a 311 that’s connected directly to the switch). I really hope the DP-3020 is bad because if not, who knows what the problem could be. My diplexers are Radio Shack and rated at 2150.

Not to get off the original subject too much, as soon as I hear back from Winegard, I’ll let you know about purchasing the DP-3020 directly from them.

So the tech at Winegard says that the DP-3020 was not designed to work with Dish and, therefore, the reason I’m experiencing problems and others are not could POSSIBLY be due to the fact that one of my drops is around 100’ (plus I’m using some questionable coax installed sometime in the 80’s for half the run).

So I guess I’ll run a single drop now (something I’ve been avoiding because I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story condo) and plug the dedicated OTA line from the 811 directly into the DP-3020. I HOPE that since one of my 811’s works when the other is disconnected, I’ll leave one 811 connected to the DP-3020, diplexed at the receiver end and then connect the new drop directly from the DP-3020 into the antenna in on the receiver. Does anyone know if I’ll need a diplexer for the direct feed from the DP-3020 diplexer and the antenna in on the stb (power passing is not an issue, just the signal range)?

migpt, I’ll send you a message w/ the Winegard contact’s name and e-mail address. You CAN buy one directly from them but, we never did discuss the price.

O.K. I was able to order DP-3020 directly from Winegard for $19.95 + shipping for those who are interested.
Thanks for your replies.

ChadH said:
So the tech at Winegard says that the DP-3020 was not designed to work with Dish and, therefore, the reason I’m experiencing problems and others are not could POSSIBLY be due to the fact that one of my drops is around 100’ (plus I’m using some questionable coax installed sometime in the 80’s for half the run).
Shouldn't matter dish or not, everything is the same legacy equipment and voltages as VOOM. I have a 90' run no problems.

Okay how 'bout this. You have one "good" diplexer feed to an 811 working correctly, yes? You could feed OTA to the other 811 using a splitter off the one "good" OTA feed. I am doing this from my 811, and using the split to feed my HDTV's tuner. Works great.

Good luck.

I’m a little confused… You mean split the OTA between the receiver and the back end diplexer? I’m confused because you say “from” your 811. Or do you mean split the OTA antenna feed between the antenna and the DP-3020 (but I thought splitters blocked the voltage)?

When I get home I’ll plug in the diplexed coax coming from the DP-3020 into the OTA antenna input on an 811 to see if I get anything (to answer my own question above). If this works, I just do what I said before unless I’m not understanding your suggestion correctly.

ChadH said:
You mean split the OTA between the receiver and the back end diplexer? I would still have to run a new drop between the 811’s which is just a difficult for me as dropping a new coax from the roof.
Yes on the OTA feed split. The suggestion was in hopes it would be easier to run a line between your 811's than what you where facing.

Technically the DP-3020 with two DISH recievers will work (several of us here are doing it), sounds like some other problem with your setup.

OK then, one last question… I believe that there should not be any voltage crossing over the OTA splitter built into the DP-3020, correct? Tonight I’ll check this and, if I do find it’s shorted, I just order another one from Winegard.

Thanks!

ChadH said:
OK then, one last question… I believe that there should not be any voltage crossing over the OTA splitter built into the DP-3020, correct? Tonight I’ll check this and, if I do find it’s shorted, I just order another one from Winegard.Thanks!
Hmmm. Its my understanding (I don't have an internal schematic so could be a bit off here) the DP-3020 takes voltage from the REC1 input and sends it on to the SAT1 connection, and also sends a regulated 12V to the UHF IN connection. REC2 input feeds SAT2 connection. In other words if REC1/REC2 are connected, everything else is hot.

The internal diplexers take the OTA signal from the antenna through a DC blocker, and then combine them with the SAT1/SAT2 signals and onto REC1/REC2 to the DISH receivers.

I agree with you IF you have a new(er) DP-3020. Take a look at the photo I posted above and you'll see that both the REC1/SAT1 and REC2/SAT2 connections feed the OTA antenna w/ 12V regulated! I don't know of any electrical components that allow voltage to flow in a single direction and, therefore, if some voltage is crossing over, my guess is that this would not be good.

ChadH said:
I agree with you IF you have a new(er) DP-3020. Take a look at the photo I posted above and you'll see that both the REC1/SAT1 and REC2/SAT2 connections feed the OTA antenna w/ 12V regulated! I don't know of any electrical components that allow voltage to flow in a single direction and, therefore, if some voltage is crossing over, my guess is that this would not be good.
Okay I was going off a pic posted in another thread here, yours is the exact same splitter I have. Looks like the only difference is REC 2 also feeds voltage to the UHF connection (probably done so you don't have to be careful connecting only to REC1 in single receiver installation). Doesn't change anything operationally, only that REC2 input now also powers up the UHF antenna connection.

A diode allows current to pass in one direction and not the other.

Well I’ve got 1 volt coming down the drop from the DP-3020 before the diplexers at the stb’s. Whether this is originating from the DP-3020 or from the switch, I couldn’t say since I took the reading inside the house. I’ll have to get up there this weekend.

Mysteriously I’m not having any problems right now… I reset both 811’s and disconnected and reconnected the diplexers in the house and that was it (the connections weren’t loose either). I didn’t see any pattern to the problems I was having before so, I’m not convinced that the problem has gone away yet.

Check switch and system info both perform correctly… Will have to wait and see…

Thanks much!

ChadH said:
Mysteriously I’m not having any problems right now… I reset both 811’s...
I've found the 811 to be a buggy POS compared to the VOOM boxes. Thankfully reboots cure all so far.

Regarding the 1 volt, neither the switches or DP-3020 are voltage sources (both are receiver powered). You are probably just measuring the potential difference of your cable run both ways.

Perhaps but, I'm thinking the volt I'm measuring inside the house is looping back from the other 811 that I left plugged in while I took the measurement. What I want to know is whether it’s coming back from the DP-3020 or the switch. I’ll check this weekend. Is a single volt even enough to cause problems?

Last night all my problems came back again. Resets didn’t cure anything. In the 100’s I began to get an error message saying the card would not allow the channel I was watching previously (came and went every 30 seconds or so). Then in the Voom channels the signal would be lost completely (this happened every 5 seconds). I ran system info and any one of the 3 satellites (or more) was not being received and check switch added 2 more CONN columns for a total of 5 inputs in the table!

I’m taking the DP-3020 out of one of the drops tonight (and just watch SD locals on one of the tv's). This morning I ordered a new 3020. I also found out last night that if I plug the diplexed feed from the 3020 into the 811’s OTA antenna input without a diplexer, this works fine. So, if the new DP-3020 does not solve this, like before, I’ll drop a new line directly from the 3020 into the OTA antenna-in on one of the 811’s and leave the other 811 connected to the single diplexed drop from the 3020 (to power the OTA via the 3020).

Man I miss Voom :(

Update...

I got the new DP-3020 directly from Winegard and it's working perfectly. I could tell immediately that it made a difference because the channels tuned in much more quickly than before. Also, the craftsmanship of the new one is MUCH better than the one I got on eBay. Thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)