Where to buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ericosmith

Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
First of all, I've been on cable for many years now and I'm looking to upgrade functionality and downgrade price by switching to Dish and DSL. My quandary is where to purchase (or lease, I'm not quite sure what is what).

By way of background, I want to get a 4 TV system. I don't have any HDTV capable sets at the present time. I'm looking for 2 TVs with DVR and 2 without. I do have a travel trailer that I might possibly want to have Dish for at some later date.

Here's how I understand my options. I could purchase on line from Dish and they would install one 625 and one 322. Or, I could purchase from SBC and they would install one 522 and two 311s. Now, I know the SBC setup is $5.00 more monthly, but I also get a $5.00 discount with combined billing so it's a wash from a price standpoint (I think). I'm looking for opinions on the pros and cons of each option.

A couple of specific questions:

I understand the 625, 522, and 322 have to be connected to a phone line to avoid a $5.00 charge. What about the 311s. Would I be better off going that route if I was going to move a receiver back and forth to an RV?

Are there significant benefits or drawbacks to the different receivers? I know about the Dish on Demand thing in the 625vs the 522, but is there anything else?

How about future upgrades, am I going to have better luck with one than the other?

How about installation? I assume 2 receivers are easier to install than 3, even though installation is included.

If I don't go with SBC, what are the pros and cons of buying locally rather than directly through Dish?

I'm sure there are other issues I'm not aware of so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eric- You might want to wait a couple of weeks. SBC just renewed their contract with Dish. This may mean more hardware options. I've heard that they are already offering 625's instead of 522's. If they offer 322's, you'll save another $5. Plus, it's nice getting everything on one bill. (I get SBC Local, Long Distance, DSL, and Cingular wireless on one SBC bill.) If they start offering the HomeZone receiver and Voom, I'll jump on that with both feet.

I personally am glad I never bought anything. Just upgraded to a 625 last week for just $100.00. If you lease with the in home service option, units will be replaced for free...and the need for that is not terribly unusual.

Please open you yellow pages and find a LOCAL retailer. Support your local economy and local businesses/installers, rather than nationwide.

Make sure you understand what you are signing up for with SBC. In most cases, you will not be able to get any of the free promos as a SBC customer, since you are already getting a discount.

SBC offers all of the same free promos for the HW they offer. In addition, even if you were a previous Dish customer, you can sign up with SBC as a NEW customer, receiving the new customer promos, if you have been unsubscribed from Dish for 6 months. With Dish itself, and local Dish retailers, if you were ever a customer, no matter how long ago and for whatever duration, you are ALWAYS considered a previous customer, and are generally not eligible for new customer promos.
As for local retailers, you must be careful. Many are horrible. Dish doesn't maintain very good quality control on these independant dealers. Also, they often have their own early termination fess in addition to Dish's fees.

"In most cases, you will not be able to get any of the free promos as a SBC customer, since you are already getting a discount."

That's not true. I was able to add the Dish Network service and got the discount and whatever promo they had at the time. I've been a SBC customer for years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)