Which DTV Converter Box is the Best?

What is the best DTV Converter box available?

• RCA DT 800B

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • ZENITH 900 or 901

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Insignia AX1

• Apex 250/502

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZINWELL ZAT 970

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Tivax

• Digital Stream

• GE 22000 series

• Magnavox TB100

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Micro Gem MG2000

• Total voters

sleepybear

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Dirt Track
There are so many choices out there and already so many complaints. Which is the best DTV Converter box out there that works the best with the least problems?

I use none of them regularly (my FTA boxes have ATSC inside) but I have tried the DTVPal,Zenith DTT-900, Venturer Box, and currently I just received two of the free ( with the coupon) Sunkey boxes.

I received the most channels with the Zenith first, then the Venturer, then the DTVPal. This was with a 4-bay homemade antenna. The DTV Pal has the best (IMO) remote, then the Zenith, then the Venturer. The Venturer remote was tiny, and hard to hold onto.

I haven't tried the Sunkey yet. For free, I don't expect much. :D

If I were to buy one, and didn't need timers, I'd get the DTT-901 Zenith. :cool:

I use none of them regularly (my FTA boxes have ATSC inside) but I have tried the DTVPal,Zenith DTT-900, Venturer Box, and currently I just received two of the free ( with the coupon) Sunkey boxes.

I received the most channels with the Zenith first, then the Venturer, then the DTVPal. This was with a 4-bay homemade antenna. The DTV Pal has the best (IMO) remote, then the Zenith, then the Venturer. The Venturer remote was tiny, and hard to hold onto.

I haven't tried the Sunkey yet. For free, I don't expect much. :D

If I were to buy one, and didn't need timers, I'd get the DTT-901 Zenith. :cool:

Very nice report Stogie! Thanks for that:up

I had ordered a converter box two days before my 2nd coupon was to expire. I was sent a Digital Stream (not what I ordered). It turns out to be a very nice box. Although it is not worth the $60 I paid for it ($25 was what I paid after shipping and Gov't coupon). It does do analog pass-through, which made it worth keeping, since it wasn't what I had initially ordered.

Converter Box Features

sleepybear,

One of the main problems is that most people don't know that alll Converters don't have all the featres, and are dissappointed when getting a box, that deesn't have something they expected.

I've only found one place, where features are listed clearly, that being...

Converter Box Features

In the box on the right, select “Converter Boxes – Product Features”,
then click on “Compare all Models”.

A chart will be displayed, where you can see what's got what.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

PS EDIT:
Thanks SmithP for the link at...
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units"]Comparison of CECB units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
One should probably take a look at both, but one thing for sure,
you were right on the "huge" part ! :D

Last edited: