Which DVR to buy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

steamrsy

Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
I am looking to upgrade my DirecTV system to include a Tivo. Which receivers do you recommend? I am not looking for a HD receiver. All input would be appreciated.

I think the most preferred choice is the new Direct TV branded R10 model.

Feature wise they are all the same. I have heard the R10 ships with the latest firmware and the menus are also said to work real fast.

R10 without any question. It is the best out of the box DirecTivo on the market.

I just bought the $49 Tivo. I got a Samsung S4080R. So I'm already better than the standard 35 hour, but what does the R10 have I don't?

Its got lots of new features, and newer faster software. For example you can file recorded shows in different folders, it HMO ready, and the guide it the fastest one ever offered on a DirecTV. No waiting for the guide to load anymore.

HMO ready? You mean it has a better port ? Mine only has USB. I asuming it has a firewire deal. I would hope the features & software could be a download upgrade to older Tivos. I might as well hold out & see what Directs own DVR is about now.

HMO, or Home Media Option, allows for you to share programs between all the Tivos in your house.

The stand alone Tivos have this option already.

The Home Media Option (HMO) isn't enabled on current DirecTV Tivos, and from what I understand is not enabled on the new R10s either. But if I'm wrong, that's great news.

Yeah I know about HMO. I'd like to see it arrive. I'd buy more Tivos. I hope the new Direct DVR will transfer with Tivos too. I was just asking what connections are needed on the box itself? Mine only has 2 USB ports.

It is HMO ready, I didn't say it been turned on yet. I saw screen shots over at the tivo community of the HMO page. It said to call Tivo or go to their website to activate HMO service. I haven't heard of anyone actually doing what it said, but it makes the easist to hack (good hacking) of any Directivo, to turn HMO on.

I've been researching the R10 and the Hughes SD-DVR80. The Hughes seem to have more capabilities with 2 Composite Video Outputs, a Digital Toslink Optical output and an Optical Digital Output for Dolby® Digital and Linear PCM Digital Audio. This is in addition to all the R10 features. I already use 2 Hughes receivers in the house and have had no problems with them. Is the software that much better and if so, can the Hughes be updated with it?

The Hughes lacks that software. Yes, the software is that much better. If your like me, you like the guide, on the older DirecTivo's it is too slow. The R10 speeds that up quite bit. The Hughes can not be updated by you the subscriber, that is up to Tivo and DirecTV, which is the only one who can send out a software update to the unit. You may be able to hack it with new software, but that takes knowledge and time.

I wonder if enough calls/emails to Direct would encourage them to update all Directivo software? I mean what would it hurt?

Would Tivo/D* upload the new software if they were asked or is this a marketing issue for the new DVR's?

I have a ReplayTV 4000 series controlling
a Sony B-3 via serial cable.

I think about going Tivo since it is all built in, and has 2 tuners, but I would miss a lot of the ReplayTV's features.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)