Which HD Cinema Movies have you seen?Would you like to post your review of the movie?

The Son's Room - 4 stars: Excellent! This movie deals a family's loss of their college age son (Andrea), who dies in a diving accident, and their collective and individual efforts of grieving and coping with turmoil. Each family member is devastated. The father (Giovanni) is a therapist who is guilt ridden about not being able to prevent his sons death. Although he continues his mundane routine of counselling patients, his demeanor and objectivity changes to where he decides to leave his practice. The mother (Paola) and high school aged daughter inwardly reflect their loss in more subtle way, however the family suffers: dad quits his practice, parents aren't sleeping in the same bed, daughter has a violent outburst during a basketball game, etc.

Anyway, while Paola is picking up her son's personal effects and clearing out his dorm room, she discovers love letters from a secret girlfriend (Arianna). Giovanni can't seem to finish the letter so Paola eventually looks up her number and calls her. She is hurt when Arianna won't speak to her. However, she later shows up unannounced and the meeting leads to understanding and emotional healing. This movie is in Italian with English subtitles. The imagery is excellent, but this film isn't without flaws: ending was very odd (Italian thing?), Giovanni's interaction with patients was not credible. Anyway, it's a must see on World Cinema.

Hellraiser: Inferno 3.5 stars ok so I have seen them all now. So this one brings up a good point about what happens in Hell. Does hell becomes you worse nightmare if you happen to be there? :D

The Curse of the Mummy's Hand 2.0 stars If you do not like these type of movies do not watch it because it is not that great. Aired in its OAR of 2:35:1, the story is not that great and sometimes there are mistakes done in the movie.

Sean Mota said:
Hellraiser: Inferno 3.5 stars ok so I have seen them all now. So this one brings up a good point about what happens in Hell. Does hell becomes you worse nightmare if you happen to be there? :D
I'll have to catch this series when I find the time...and enough space on the DVR. Regarding hell...does this mean SatGuys will be banished to the dbstalk forum and forced to watch HD-Lite?:rolleyes:

Just noticed your post on the Hellraiser Marathon tomorrow (25 March):

Hellraiser **+ (1987, Horror)
Hellbound: Hellraiser II *+ (1988, Horror)
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth *+ (1992, Horror)
Hellraiser: Bloodline * (1996, Horror)
Hellraiser: Inferno * (2000, Horror)
Hellraiser: Hellseeker *+ (2002, Horror)

Last edited:
Hellraiser - 4 stars: Excellent horror flick with excellent special effects and a slight S&M twist! What results is a horror masterpiece, a great mix of gore and violence, as well as a great score and some nice drama. This one will scare the crap out of you. I'm not going to summarize this one...just check it out and you won't be disappointed. Also, I always wondered where the Pinhead (Lead Cenobite) character came from...now I know.;)

My favorite quote of the movie came when Pinhead said, "No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

My Life as a Dog - 4 stars: Excellent! A pre-teen boy is sent to his Uncle's place over the summer to avoid witnessing his terminally ill mother deteriorate. His experiences are nothing less than life altering as he becomes part of the local 1959 small Swedish community; lots of unusual characters (both children, family and adults) live in this rural setting where just about everyone is involved with the local glass factory in one way or another. To sum it up: simply, charming, eccentric, profound, and amusing.

Made Me 3.5 stars. The first 15-20 minutes of this movie is quite boring. It is not after Vince Vaughn and Peter Falk are presented in the movie that the movie takes its true form of being funny and "stupid" at the same time. Vince Vaughn makes the movie funny but taken out of this movie and the movie is quite nothing.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II - 3.5 stars: Not quite as good as the first, but still quite an enjoyable flesh fest. This horror-flick introduces the brilliant and equally strange Dr. Channard (psychiatrist), brings back Kirsty (the daughter from the first Hellraiser), and reintroduces Julia (literally) the lustful step-mother from the depths of hell. Just tune-in, tune-out, and enjoy the show.:devil:

Favorite Quotes:

Pinhead: "Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell!"
Dr. Channard: "I recommend...amputation!"

The Substance of Fire - 3.5 stars: Well, surprise surprise! From reading the description of this movie I never would've guessed I'd enjoy it as much as I did. It's pretty heavy subject matter, and not real easy to watch -- but is brilliantly acted by a very good cast. Ron Rifkin and Timothy Hutton really impress -- as does Sarah Jessica Parker, to a lesser extent and to my surprise. I got drawn into their lives and genuinely wanted to know where it was going. I loved the ending -- not the last big "event", but the final scene.

Things You Can Tell Just by Looking at Her 2.5 stars It is various stories interlink with each other. Most of them are not very interested and you keep watching the movie because you think something big is going to happen but it never comes and the movie ends without a purpose. The movie was made from the point of view of how woman will look or react at certain situations. Two of the most interested ones are the abortion story and the neighbor story. The other are just ok.

Holy Smoke 3.5 stars. Lots of Smoke on this one if you know what I mean. Besides the smoke :) it is hard to understand the end. Was she cured? or did she get changed her cult hook for his hook :D ? I thought for a minute that the movie was going to go into a deeper philosophical debate about the whole phenomenon but at the end even him was tricked by his mind (given the right moment and place) to see her as a god. Interested movie and somewhat obscure to the true nature of the theme.

Some Like It Hot - 3 stars: There were a few funny lines, but for the most part the 1959 humor just doesn't amuse me much in 2006. And I found most of the characters to be just ridiculous, not to mention wildly overacted. So basically, I give this movie three stars solely for the hotness of Marilyn Monroe.

Willard - 3.5 stars: Very Enjoyable! Crispin Glover (Willard) plays a social misfit with newly developed telepathic powers over rats and R. Lee Ermey (Martin) plays his abusive boss and antagonist. Both men are excellent in their respective roles. Must see Monsters movie.

Favorite Quotes:

Martin: "Ah yeah! You would love that wouldn't ya Willard...suck up on more overtime than it even costs me for a temp. You'll catch up alright a$$hole...and you'll catch up on your own damn time. There is one thing you'll never understand Willard. Business is a rat-race. Promise or no promise, I will not allow myself to be devoured by all these other rats because of you "

Asylum Worker: "Ok, ratboy...look I'm gonna leave it hear...you can do whatever you want with it."

Willard: "We have to sit here...and wait...wait...quietly...quiet as a mouse"

Kid Galahad - 2 stars: Watch Elvis fight, watch Elvis sing, watch Elvis swing...with the chicks. Pretty much an amalgam of every other Elvis movie you've seen. If you love Elvis, you'll love this movie. If you don't like Elvis (like me), you'll find the support cast (Charles Bronson) does a decent job.

The Rage in Placid Lake - 3.5 stars: Fun from start to finish. Ironic humor and a surprise around every corner. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. By the way, Placid Lake isn't a lake or a town. He's a person -- a quirky, funny, some would say weird person who's trying hard to find where he fits in in this world -- and his search is quite entertaining.

2000 AD - 2.5 stars: Hong Kong action-thriller-shoot 'em up-Kung Fu flick that involve electronic warfare and a Y2K bug. The action in the movie was pretty good, at time, but it was all over the place and confusing. This movie could surely benefit from a plot and a transfer to Kung Fu HD and not World Cinema...kinda, sorta.:confused:

The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg - 5 stars: Okay, full disclosure time: This is a documentary about the man who is quite possibly the second-greatest Detroit Tiger ever. I live and die with the Detroit Tigers. Today is Opening Day in Detroit. The Tigers are 5-1 and in first place. My point with all that is there is the slightest -- just the tiniest -- chance that I may not be the most objective reviewer in the world, but I will try my best to be fair. Now on to the objective review: This is the greatest documentary EVER! About the legendary Hankus Pankus, star of the mighty Detroit Tigers, World Champion in 1935 and 1945, who once came one RBI short of Lou Gehrig's single season record, and once came 2 HR short of Babe Ruth's single season record. Hall of Famer, Jewish hero who battled racism his whole career, American hero who left baseball during his prime to battle Nazis, Detroit legend. Seriously, this really is a fascinating movie filled with interviews of Tiger greats, Detroit greats, Jewish greats, Greenberg greats. Not to mention lots of great old baseball footage. If you like baseball, you'll enjoy this -- and I imagine you'd enjoy it even if you're not a big ball fan.

Michunmoo - 2.5 stars: Ok Kung-Fu flick, nothing special. A swordsman is nursed back to health and takes on a ruler to reunite with is love and their bastard son. Too much magical flying swordsman stunts for my liking, and a little heavy on the soap opera dramatics. PQ was pretty good, but I kept thinking how great it would have looked at 1920x1080i.

Great Balls of Fire! - 3 stars: Man, they sure were uptight in the 50's! Can you imagine living in a time and place where it was considered "wrong" to marry your thirteen-year-old cousin? Umm.......what? Anyway, I really liked this movie early on, and it had some spectacular music sequences throughout, but I felt it dragged just a little near the end. One of my favorite parts was when Jerry Lee was on TV for the first time and they showed Myra (Winona Ryder - yay!) taking a photo of the TV to "record" it!

The Kids Are Alright - 2 stars: Ahh, The Who. Obviously quite a bit of the world disagrees with me on this, but I just don't like them. I like My Generation. I like Pinball Wizard. And there are a couple other songs that I think are okay. But my god these guys come across as idiots. With the exception of the bass player, they look like a bunch of retarded spastics twitching around while playing bad music. That being said, the sound of this movie is pretty good and they do have a lot of old concert footage and interviews -- so if you're a fan of The Who, you'll likely love this stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts