Which HD DVR receiver to get?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tpinck

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
We have been with Dish for the past 5 years and use a standard DVR. We are full time RV'ers and travel coast to coast staying at one place for maybe up to a month (maybe). I currently use a dish on a tripod and manual setup, most of the time no problem but others no go. We typically record most of our shows and watch the recorded shows (get through adds quickly). We only have 1 TV and it is HD. At times we will have programs recording on both TV1 and TV2 and watching a previously recorded program all at the same time.

We are thinking about going to an HD DVR setup, but would like to record HD programs on both TV1 and TV2 and watch a pre-recorded program. I have been unable to determine if this is possible with any of the available DVRs, either from their website or through a lengthy chat session.

My alternative reason to switch to HD is setup. The large majority of the programs we watch/record are available in HD and the "Winegard Carryout GM-1518" will automatically find the satellite, no more fiddling with the tripod.

OH, my wife wants to watch Opra which is only available on HD.:D

Finally to the question: Is there any DVR receiver that will let me do all this?

The VIP 722 or 722K will do what you want. The 722 has one built-in OTA tuner plus 2 sat tuners...so, if you have an OTA antenna, you can record three things at a time...and play back a recording. The 722K has an Optional OTA module with 2 OTA tuners. You could also do the VIP 612...same as the 722 but with only one TV output (no TV2). But if this is your only receiver (fee included in your package), stick with the 722 or 722K.

One thing to add to the above. All tuners (Dish and ota) record in HD. However only the TV1 out via component or hdmi will be hd. The home distribution out of TV2 out will be SD.

Thanks for all the replys. My current DVR 625 is on my contract so I think I will go for the VIP722K which will give me more oprions as we travel. I can see a GM-1518 on the horizon.

Thanks again, great help.

Thanks for all the replys. My current DVR 625 is on my contract so I think I will go for the VIP722K which will give me more oprions as we travel. I can see a GM-1518 on the horizon.

Thanks again, great help.
One thing you will have to take account of is that the GM-1518 only seems to point at 1 sat at a time. so if you are recording 2 programs off sat both need to be on same bird. Since a large amount of HD is on 129 most likely it will be OK for the majority of the time. There will be times that there will be a problem.

I was thinking to upgrade to the Vip722K but I just noticed that Dish is charging me a $5.00/month for the second TV (TV2) connection and I only have 1 TV. So instead if I upgrade to the Vip612, does it have at least 1 OTA tuner or are they only available on the Vip722K or Vip722? OTA would be very nice for the times that I can not get SAT but can get stations on the OTA antenna. I have never been able to get that to work on my 625.

From my current research all the programs we currently record are on the HD sat.

I was thinking to upgrade to the Vip722K but I just noticed that Dish is charging me a $5.00/month for the second TV (TV2) connection and I only have 1 TV. So instead if I upgrade to the Vip612, does it have at least 1 OTA tuner or are they only available on the Vip722K or Vip722? OTA would be very nice for the times that I can not get SAT but can get stations on the OTA antenna. I have never been able to get that to work on my 625.

From my current research all the programs we currently record are on the HD sat.
Dish does not charge $5.00 for TV2 connection. There is a $6.00 DVR fee, but that is for all receivers on you account, be it one or four. The 625 does not have an OTA tuner.

The 612 does have a lower equipment fee, $10.00, than the 722, $17.00, but if you only have one receiver it is included in your package. Additional fees kick in for more than one receiver.

Last edited:
Then I guess I am really confused on what this charge is for.
America's Top 120 44.99DVR Service 6.00

Protection Plan 6.00

TV2 Receiver Connection 5.00

Starz - 30th Anniv 0.00

Total $ 61.99

Anyone have a thought?

Then I guess I am really confused on what this charge is for.
America's Top 120 44.99DVR Service 6.00

Protection Plan 6.00

TV2 Receiver Connection 5.00

Starz - 30th Anniv 0.00

Total $ 61.99

Anyone have a thought?

That is the OLD charge for not being connected to a phone line. That charge was dropped last year, or so I thought. PM one of the DIRT members.

That has been on my bill like forever. Forgive my lact of knowledge but what are DIRT members?

Dish Internet Response Team. Those on-line will be at the bottom of the Forum page, in RED.

Thanks for your inputs. I did PM Matt and then I just took the bull by the horns (so to speak) and called Dish. The first person I got I could not understand or hear very well do I said goodby and hung up. As I was putting the phone down it rang with another person. Good news I could her and understand him.

I have ordered a VIP722K with the OTA module. He was more than happy to remove the TV2 charge for the life of my service. The system is scheduled to install on Nov 9 between 8 and noon. I was told that the only charge will be for the OTA module, I will get HD for life and my monthly cost will not go up.

If this all works out to be true, I am a happy camper. The only fly in the ontment is the distance networks is only available in SD on Sat 119. I believe this will change in the not to distant future.

Thanks to all for your valuble assistance.

One thing you will have to take account of is that the GM-1518 only seems to point at 1 sat at a time. so if you are recording 2 programs off sat both need to be on same bird. Since a large amount of HD is on 129 most likely it will be OK for the majority of the time. There will be times that there will be a problem.
Also be aware that the GM-1518 is not Dish Pro Plus you can't use a separator to connect dual tuner receivers. Does the 1518 have the capabilities to run dual cables to the receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)