Status
Please reply by conversation.

TMair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Midway, Utah
Ok, yeah it's me again.

I have a SonicView receiver, I have been thinking of getting an HD receiver, I had a Pansat SD receiver and I liked it, wish I would have replaced it with another one rather then the SonicView, the SV is a good receiver, but I miss the UHF remote:mad:

I know there are going to be a lot of opinions on this but I am interested in all of them, I have been looking at the Pansat 9200 but not sure I am ready to spend that much on a receiver, I do want to get back to the UHF remote deal, are there any other receivers that will do UHF?

Aside from the UHF remote deal what would you guys recomend for a receiver?
THanks again
Terry

Pansat is the only one with a UHF remote option but alot of folks just use those remote control extenders from Radio Shack

The Pansat UHF remote IIRC has different buttons than the "regular" remote

I like my Pansat 9200 HD. Now that they have a channel editor, I feel a little better about recommending it.

The two issues I have.

1. Audio problems with listening to "Radio stations" that require you to press mute BEFORE changing channels in order to get he sound to work.

2. The poor implementation of the PVR, there is no "publicly" accessible way to transfer recorded shows form the external hard drive to the PC.

Other then that this one has treated me very well. Its simple to use, and the remote makes logical sense.

Pansat is the only one with a UHF remote option but alot of folks just use those remote control extenders from Radio Shack

The Pansat UHF remote IIRC has different buttons than the "regular" remote

Thanks for the reply.
Ok so not familier with the remote extenders, I will have to check into those, I could use one for other things to.

Yeah I know about the different buttons, I used one with my old Pansat SD box.

Ok so if I went with the remote extender, I don't really care about the internal hard drive, but I do want s-2 and 8psk, what other HD boxes wold be good, and have those features?

The Pansat is expensive I would not mind spending less, considering I had to replace my TV today, I loved that TV.

Thanks again
Terry

I dont know if they will interfere with each other but its the remote that does the work.

The extender just converts the remote signal to UHF then back to IR so it doesnt matter if you have 3 transmitters and one receiving unit or 2 & 2.

TMair

You'd need to buy a more expensive Wireless Remote with several transmitters - one for each room - to be able to setup multiple receivers in it - several per room - and control them independently via wireless from a single location. You can still control equipment independently via infrared with the cheapest wireless Remotes. Look at the Universal Remote Control's choice of Remotes for some ideas.

As to buying a HD Receiver, it depends on what do you want to watch. Many folks here would agree that for FTA use AZBox Elite is currently the Best Buy. Read some threads here for more info and buying links.

8940.jpg

I prefer the Next Generation IR RF Extender because the transmitter fits inside of the remote in place of one of the batteries. You can buy extra transmitters from Next Generation.

So if you buy them in pairs they will not interfere with each other?
Terry

I've been using the Pyramid things for years, and used to use 2 sets of them, senders in two different rooms, and receivers in two different rooms (actually room 1 had one sender and one TV, room 2 had one receiver and one sender and one TV and a couple sat receivers, room 3 had one receiver and several sat receivers). Everything worked fine. However then, I tried adding one of those universal remotes that have a device similar to the RS Pyramids (can't remember if it was the RS-2117 or the URC one4all equivalent) , and the Pryamid and this other device went crazy talking to each other when in the same room for some reason. Had to stop using this other device, although the remote it came with works fine.
Anyway, I was careful to make sure that in the room 2 where there was both a sender and receiver, that the sender and receiver couldn't see each other, which I think was the problem with using the other device, since I was trying to send signals from the pyramid to the URC device I think, and they must use the same freq or something. But with the Pyramids alone, as long as the senders and receivers can't see each other, there isn't a problem.

TMair

You'd need to buy a more expensive Wireless Remote with several transmitters - one for each room - to be able to setup multiple receivers in it - several per room - and control them independently via wireless from a single location. .

huh? I have 2 sets...well 1/2
2 transmitters and one receiver...the old pyramid ones from Rat Shack

Have my FTA and Shaw system (and now D*) in the main room. My Shaw and FTA system uses the coax out and goes into the bedroom and basement. Have a transmitter in bedroom and basement and they both work fine

Dont know why you'd need more expensive ones when the regular ones work just fine :)

TMair

If the receivers in the same room are different and all operate by different codes without overlap, one can teach a single Remote all their codes, or assign a different button to each box model. I have a single transmitter that controls many devices in one location from a single Remote in each room. But if the equipment in a room is identical (2 same TVs or STBs - at times happen), or equipment in different rooms is identical (2 same TVs in 2 rooms), cheap Remotes will send same signal to all transmitters in 100m radius, hence suddenly in all rooms devices will start switching synchronously. :) Depending on the equipment used and its locations one may need a Remote that can assign and send commands to a particular Transmitter and Device IDs, and also use well shielded interference free narrow band Transmitters. It does require some planning - at times the OP should give more details on his setup to get more accurate advice.

Last edited:
If there is no way to change the remote address then yes that will work. But some receivers have the way to change the address. At one time I had a 4DTV, a Voom box (for OTA) and a Shaw Direct receiver all hooked up to the same TV (in the same room). All are Motorola units but 2 of the 3 I could change the address. The Voom box couldnt be changed off of 000. The 4DTV was 002 and the Shaw box was remote address 004 so my simple extenders worked fine.

But if you have say 2 Coolsat 5000's in different rooms with extenders on them then yes there would be an issue.

the OP should give more details on his setup to get more accurate advice
interesting how you ask the OP for their setup yet when we ask you the same question we get "none of your business" :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts