Which is better to pick up 110, 119 and 129? 1000.2 or 1000+ ?

FitzAusTex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Austin, TX
I know you really only get a 1000+ if you subscribe to stuff on 118.7 (which I used to), but I'm wondering if the dedicated LNBF for 119 on a 1000.2 is better for 119 than the FSS/DBS Dual Band LNBF that is "shared" btwn 118.7 and 119 on a 1000+?

Apple to apples, is the FSS/DBS Dual Band LNBF inferior for 119 than the regular 119 LNBF on a 1000.2?

I know the dish is bigger on the 1000+ (23.8" x 30.9") compared to the 1000.2 (19" x 24") which is supposed to help reception, but I still seem to have too much rain/cloud fade.

I've compared my signal strengths to what others on this site get, and I'm generally at, or higher, than what I've mostly seen reported.

I assume that i should have a better signal with a 1000+ on 110 and 129, since my dish is bigger than a 1000.2 and the LNBFs appear to be the same for those sats, but if anyone wants to weigh in on that assumption, feel free.

Just perplexed that many people report that they basically never, ever lose signal, but I pretty much do every time it rains...sometimes only for a few mins, sometimes for an hour or longer.

thanks for any input from people who've had both dishes...

Having installed both, I can't really find much difference in the signal level around here. The larger size dish is just more or less designed to give more space for the 118.7 FSS that needs more dish space because the fss is weaker and/or less efficient. For the rest of the sats both the 1000.2 and the 1000+ will give you about the same thing. Since it's a multisat dish all of the sats have some loss because it just can't tune all sats in the arc without giving somewhere.. Best results come with a separate dish for each sat.. But that is not really feasible in most cases..

The 1000+ is a compromise design trading off maximum reception for maximum functionality. Size is not the only factor of importance. Two dish 500s would give you better reception on 110 & 119 and on 129. Three 24" dishes would give you better signals still, it all depends on what you want.

My Super Dish can receive 110,119,121, and 129. The problem is that the VOOM channels don't always come in with just one dish. So they had to add a separate dish for the VOOM channels. Go figure.

thanks all for the replies. have chatted with a few other Austin folks and it seems that we may just get worse severe weather (thunderstorms/black clouds...ok, very, very, very charcoal grey clouds) than maybe others around the US get. i have to say that i grew up in the Northeast, and really never have seen anything like what we get in Texas in 'Flash Flood Alley'.

thinking about multiple dishes, but guess i can try to wait it out till E* launches their new HD two sat system hopefully sooner than later.

i'll check the connections, but i last time i checked em out in May, they seemed good.

It's about the same either way really. I have a 1000+ for myself, and I have found that I get better signal for other people when I set up a 1000.2. However, I also know that a larger reflector tends to hold signal better when it rains, regardless of signal strength. The 1000.2 dishes are more common and easier to get parts for too if something breaks. Plus the 1000.2 is smaller, and therefore can be more easily mounted reliably in more locations. The bigger the dish, the pickier you have to be about how and where you put it, taking into account serviceability and whether or not it may damage whatever you fasten it to, like a roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts