which pc receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
maine
i am split between a matchbox pro, dvbworld sd2d, twinhan or a prof 8000. which would work best with win xp on a faster running system? i want hd in the putter with blindscan and not shelling out for a receiver and hd tv just yet (if so i would get the azbox). thanks guys

Currently only the Dvbworld PC tuner has blindscan.
Prof has mentioned that they plan to release a blind scan for their tuners eventually.

i am split between a matchbox pro, dvbworld sd2d, twinhan or a prof 8000. which would work best with win xp on a faster running system? i want hd in the putter with blindscan and not shelling out for a receiver and hd tv just yet (if so i would get the azbox). thanks guys

I have the prof 7500 USB and the DVBWorld 2104D. The 7500 will not blind scan and requires 3rd party payware to display all the modes and sufferes from mild frame dropping on HD with my PC using Progdvb. The 2104D has a great blind scan, comes with software (downloadable) gives perfect HD no dropped frames and drives my SG2100 perfectly. Worked right out of the box with no fooling around on Ku and C band. Its more expensive but worth it IMO.
If you have a good PC with a video card with HDMI then hook it to your HDTV and enjoy.
Azbox reportedly still has software and power supply issues but I dont have one.

I have the prof 7500 USB and the DVBWorld 2104D. The 7500 will not blind scan and requires 3rd party payware to display all the modes and sufferes from mild frame dropping on HD with my PC using Progdvb. The 2104D has a great blind scan, comes with software (downloadable) gives perfect HD no dropped frames and drives my SG2100 perfectly.

I have no reason to doubt crossbow's claims for the 2104D, as I have a number of older DVB World units and they still perform well. However I have several of the Prof 7301 and 7500 (waiting on the 8000) devices and have no problems playing back all SD and HD modes with freely downloadable codecs and no dropped frames. This of course does not have anything to do with the actual hardware, rather what software is used and how it is configured.

Crossbow's point of the ease of setting up DVB World units out-of-the-box to get this level of functionality is well taken. However to say the DVB World application is crude is an understatement. I quickly got frustrated with it and found better alternatives, all of which run fine with all of my DVB World and Prof units. The 2104D blindscanning gives it a real edge at the moment. I can report the Prof units will blindscan, but currently this is only possible under Linux. Prof has made claims about a Windows version, but nothing concrete has yet appeared.

thanks guys for the feedback. being it will be windows based i will go with the dvbworld s2d. is the best software for it out of the box also or is there another prog that works better for win xp?

thanks guys for the feedback. being it will be windows based i will go with the dvbworld s2d. is the best software for it out of the box also or is there another prog that works better for win xp?

I have never found a perfect S/W application for anything. There always seems to be some limitation or ommision and the DVBWorld app is no exception. But it certainly does the job and views everything thats up there. And as noted above its currently the only widows based app to provide blind scan. Have tried a few other apps and abandoned them. Running win 7 here, not tried it on XP.

Guys, I do have the same concerns about the best/reliable DVB-S / DVB-S2 tuners for my HTPC setup. I'm going towards the DVBWorld 2006 PCie 1X but I still need to know if I can plug it to a PCI Express 16X slot on a Zotac IONITX-L-E motherboard.

Furthermore, will MythTV (Mythbuntu 10.04) recognize it and play fine with it? Does anyone has a DVBWorld 2006 or similar model running on Mythtv?

Guys, I do have the same concerns about the best/reliable DVB-S / DVB-S2 tuners for my HTPC setup. I'm going towards the DVBWorld 2006 PCie 1X but I still need to know if I can plug it to a PCI Express 16X slot on a Zotac IONITX-L-E motherboard.

Furthermore, will MythTV (Mythbuntu 10.04) recognize it and play fine with it? Does anyone has a DVBWorld 2006 or similar model running on Mythtv?

I used a Zotax IONITX--G-E board. see

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-pc-dvb-discussion/216722-smal-htpc-dvbworld-pcie2006.html

If your interested in running Linux then blindscan is a moot point as currently there is no blindscan support for either card.

Well, it's a good sign but you have a PCIe 1X on this board right? My concerns are to use a non-video card (tuner) on the PCI Express 16X slot I have on my Zotac IONITX-L-E (it's an update of the F-E).

Once I got a case that has a rear slot for a PCI Tuner I really would like to use a PCIe tuner but I'm little concerned if it will work or not on the PCIe 16x slot.

Also, I'm looking forward recommendations about which tuner to get. I've read good things about those below:

• Prof 8000 PCIe
  • DVBWorld 2006 PCIe
  • TBS 6890 (This is a DUAL tuner)
I need a good/reliable tuner that works fine on Linux once I'm planning to use MythTV for watching/recording TV.

Thx...

I have the TBS6890 and I am finally completing the large learning curve for having my first DVB-S(S2) card. I now have it functioning well with DVBdream. I actually have it so it can simutaneously record from two separate satellites at the same time and shut off the computer when it is done. The learning curve is certainly not as easy as an STB box unless you are copying someone else's proven set-up. You may want to consider the un-released TBS6925 which will be blind-scan capable. A PCIe card will work in any PCIe slot including the 16X.

Last edited:
I have the TBS6890 and I am finally completing the large learning curve for having my first DVB-S(S2) card. I now have it functioning well with DVBdream. I actually have it so it can simutaneously record from two separate satellites at the same time and shut off the computer when it is done. The learning curve is certainly not as easy as an STB box unless you are copying someone else's proven set-up. You may want to consider the un-released TBS6925 which will be blind-scan capable. A PCIe card will work in any PCIe slot including the 16X.

Thx guacharaca...

Do you have it installed on wich OS? Win or Linux? I'm planning to use it on Linux and use MythTV as the TV watching/recording program.

As far as I understood you did recommend it, right? Do you have any material/docs/tips you could share? If yes, please send me a PM about it...

Thx!

I have W7 on an I7. I run two separate installs of Dvbdream. One for each tuner. You do not need to have two installs unless you want to record two different programs simutaneouly in Dvbdream. Other software can handle a dual tuner but my pals at work use Dvbdream with their skywalkers so I went down that road. I only recommend the TBS6890 if you can copy someone's else's set-up, otherwise you will be going through the learning curve. Part of that learning curve is learning your software. If you are already familiar with MythTV, your life may be easier. I did see a linux driver on the TBS website. This card seems to work well once the set-up is correct. It is fast and I have not experienced any flickering that I have heard about with other cards. I only wish I had Blindscan for S2. I now do all my S1 blindscanning with the CS5000 and then just punch in the TPs into Dvbdream. I also suggest the TBS6925 such that it will be similar to the 6890 but with a more advanced chip giving the potential for blindscan (once someone writes the software)and will include 16APSK and 32APSK.

Last edited:
I have W7 on an I7. I run two separate installs of Dvbdream. One for each tuner. You do not need to have two installs unless you want to record two different programs simutaneouly in Dvbdream. Other software can handle a dual tuner but my pals at work use Dvbdream with their skywalkers so I went down that road. I only recommend the TBS6890 if you can copy someone's else's set-up, otherwise you will be going through the learning curve. Part of that learning curve is learning your software. If you are already familiar with MythTV, your life may be easier. I did see a linux driver on the TBS website. This card seems to work well once the set-up is correct. It is fast and I have not experienced any flickering that I have heard about with other cards. I only wish I had Blindscan for S2. I now do all my S1 blindscanning with the CS5000 and then just punch in the TPs into Dvbdream. I also suggest the TBS6925 such that it will be similar to the 6890 but with a more advanced chip giving the potential for blindscan (once someone writes the software)and will include 16APSK and 32APSK.

Thx again! Yes, I'm questioning you all this once I need to decide the one to use on my HTPC. As I'm still finishing up my HTPC setup I think I will wait some more months to see the new products from TBS. It is for sure one of the candidates of purchase but I still have others on my list as the DVBWorld 2006 PCIe and Prof 8000 PCIe that seams to be good too.

Thx for your replies!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)