Which PVR?

gibbsjj

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Greetings,

I currently have a Dish 811 receiver. I am interested in adding a PVR to my setup. I don't particularly care to record HD content, but I want to keep my 811 so I can still watch HD stuff.

I was thinking of getting a TiVo (which I know will work via the IR Blaster), but figured I should check out what Dish has first. I would like to get a fairly cheap one (less than $200) and avoid a monthly service fee if possible.

Which Dish PVR would you recommend? Can I simply buy one off ebay, and hook it up (with a switch?)? Does Dish charge a monthly fee for PVR 'guide' info, like TiVo?

Thanks!

-Josh

Welcome :wave

The 501, 508 & 721 do not have a DVR fee so you can avoid the 4.98 fee. The 501 has a smaller hard drive (40 hrs) vs the 508 (60)

You can get a DVR and hook it up to your dish and have 2 units (the 811 and the DVR) but you will be charged the 4.99 additional receiver fee

The 721 has 100 hours of storage and has two tuners which allows you to record two things at once or record one thing and watch another live show or you could record two things at once while watching a show that you had previously recorded. With the 501/508 you can watch a show while another one is recording but you cannot record two shows at once or watch a live show while recording another one like you can with the 721. The 721 also has a built in PIP function which allows you to watch two shows at the same time even if your television does not have that function. In addition the 721 has front A/V inputs so you can select channel 0 on the 721 and it will change to the A/V input.

Unless your standalone Tivo has Tivo Basic service, you will be paying Tivo $12.95 a month or $299.00 for product lifetime for the DVR service. Even a Dish Network DVR that would require a DVR fee would be cheaper than going with TIVO.

I'd agree with ats7627. It is cheaper to get the DVR from Dish or DirecTv and pay the DVR fee than it would be to pay a lifetime fee or the big $12.95 fee. Getting one of the Dish DVR's without the DVR fee is a real good deal though. The 721 is the best DVR you can get without paying the fee.

It looks like the 721 would run me about $300. Also, $5 a month additional receiver fee (I want to keep my 811).

Tivo would cost me $50 for the 40 hour unit, plus $300 for lifetime service.

So, the Tivo would be more economical after 10 months. Also, from what I can tell (at least on paper) the Tivo seems to have a better interface, better features, and more stability (and be infinitely hackable).

I WOULD loose the benefit of dual tuners, and I am a little concerned about how well the TiVo actually functions via the RF Blaster. Any comments?

Thanks for the great info guys!

-Josh

remember though... the downside of going with dish for ones dvr needs is lack of ability to do certain things.

mainly, both the tivo and replaytv allow one to download their shows onto their computer. the replay, unlike the tivo, download is a standard mpg. on the tivo, i believe it's an encrypted file of some sort... not sure on that though.

anyway... i find the extra cost associated with the replaytv units i own is well worth it for the added functions it offers.

The Tivo you get for $50 is probably going to have fewer hours on it as well. It may only have 40 hours on it while the 721 has 90-100 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts