Which satellite internet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sistersinhim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
I'm currently on dial up, but am looking into going with a satellite hookup since DSL is not available out here in the sticks. Who do you recommend? Hughes has a $200 rebate until 5/15. How reliable is their service? Is one company better than the other? With a satellite hookup can I do away with a home phone?

Starband

Hi - I did have DSL and went back to Starband. No problems at all, has never been down like the DSL was, and customer service at Starband was excellent. Plus the Starband speed is very comparable to the DSL I had My local installer said he didn't care for wildblue. So stayed with Starband.

satellite internet

I haven't heard of Starband. I'll see if I can find their website and check out their prices and availability in my area.

After 3 months, I am very satisfied with WildBlue here in NE Texas, with 1.5Mips downloads. My installer, who owns his company, installs both StarBand and WildBlue, prefers Wildblue. In theory, you can do away with your home phone line, but if there is even a temporary outage of the satellite signal, a local power failure, or a heavy storm - you may be glad you have a laptop and a phone line. I had the first DirecTV set in my county (now on Dish), and had DirecPC (the old Hughes one-way satellite). After more than 50 years of messing with high-end electronics, I don't have enough faith in two-way satellite to cancel my phone line. Do read the FAP policy, but as one who never downloads songs or movies, I have no problems with limits kicking in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)