While Dish is hacking away at the code...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AV8er

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
I haven't ran across a wishlist or I would have posted this there....

A customer will sometimes set up their dual tuner receiver with just a single input from the dish. As part of the setup the user should be able to declare the other input (say SAT2) "unused", and no periodic or daily diagnostic should test at that input again unless changed.

Wishful thinking but dish's thinking will be why would you "buy" a dual tunner receiver to use only one.

My wishlist?

Fix the A/V sync issues and the dropouts, and add NBR - then you'd have the perfect box! (OK, so I don't like PVR's that TELL you what to watch, or display ads while you fast-forward THROUGH ads!)

n0qcu said:
Wishful thinking but dish's thinking will be why would you "buy" a dual tunner receiver to use only one.

Why buy a sports car that goes over 150mph or a 4x4 when you live in downtown LA? That was silly Kevin. If two inputs were required for it to function, then it wouldn't work with only one. Simply make the testing match the functionality in use...that too hard? :eek:

AV8er - exactly my thoughts.

Just because it *can* take two inputs, shouldn't have to mean you *have* to ! It is simply a forced assumption. Kinda sucks for my setup right now. Though I would like to have the flexibilty if I ever wanted to - kinda like the 3rd row seating in an SUV. :mad:

Hey, I am not disagreeing with you guys, I am just stating the way dish seems to think.

Bizzach said:
Fix the A/V sync issues and the dropouts, and add NBR
I have not had any A/V sync issues since 207. I guess I'm lucky. It was horrible with 205 and 206 (a little better with 206 though). I still have audio dropouts with 207.

My wishlist:

(1) Under Preferences, give users a setting for "Advanced Mode". While in Advanced Mode:

(1a) User gets to pick which tuner to record with every time they schedule an event. Have it default to whatever's available, but still let the user override. Allowing editing of user's choice after the fact goes hand-in-hand.

(1b) When a recording is in progress, allow user to force it over to the other tuner even right in the middle of things. A brief audio/video hiccup in the recording at switch time would be OK.

(1c) Users get to pick extra minutes before/after a recording just like now, but also can set whatever they want as DEFAULT, thus overridding the current 1/3 default setting.

(1d) User settable options for Search so it only displays channels that you subscribe to. PPV channels could be displayed or not displayed, per user choice.

(2) In Normal or Advanced Mode, back-to-back timers would default to alternate tuners if available. Currently they stack on the same tuner and the before/after extra minutes get juggled around. You usually end up missing either the end or the beginning of one of the shows, as it was attached to the other one (that you have subsequently deleted!)

(3) User settable options in Guide to allow more events to be displayed horizontally. Maybe a smaller font or something.

(4) User settable options in Guide to have it display only one channel, scrolling both vertically and horizontally to show lots of hours worth of upcoming stuff. Combine with smaller font option to get at least a twelve hour window displayed if possible.

(5) Make Guide faster. Should be able to scroll line-by-line or column-by-column at much higher speeds than current.

(6) Add page left/right functionality to Guide. We have page up/down now, and jump 24 hours left/right, but not simpe page left/right (AFAIK).

(7) Add ability to turn off BOTH tuners from front panel.

(8) And of course, Name Based Recording!

That's enough for now. Most of these are real nit-picks. But you DID ask for a "Wish List"...

;-)

I wish they would enable TV2 to be controlled using IR rather than just RF .

I know, not as essential as fixing the bugs or finally adding NBR , but this is a wish list . :)

I agree with haertig and would add to the list a event list for the recording events to help manage and set priority for the recording events. Like the Tivo Season Passes and its manager which is very well done on the Tivo.

Haertig:
-----------------------------------
>>>>(5) Make Guide faster. Should be able to scroll line-by-line or column-by-column at much higher speeds than current.

As much as I miss my ReplayTV, the guide on the 522 -=ZOOMS=- in comparison. The ReplayTV unit navigation was so slow that I RARELY IF EVER used it other than for an hour or two out.

The search features were EXCELLENT and made up for the guide, though.

wasii said:
Haertig:
>>>>(5) Make Guide faster. Should be able to scroll line-by-line or column-by-column at much higher speeds than current.

As much as I miss my ReplayTV, the guide on the 522 -=ZOOMS=- in comparison. The ReplayTV unit navigation was so slow that I RARELY IF EVER used it other than for an hour or two out.

The search features were EXCELLENT and made up for the guide, though.

When I'm in a hurry, I usually skip the guide and hit the RIGHT arrow. Using that interface moves VERY quickly but you don't get an at a glance view of everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)