Who Has Better HD PQ Today - Dish or DirecTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have not had a chance to check as of late. I will as soon as I can and will report back:up

Thanks, msmith198025...I look forward to your report.

Thanks, to the others who responded to my question. I have a 622 and live in the southeast. I've never had any drop-outs or signal strength problems, but I've heard some areas of the country benefit more from Ciel 2 than others.

Mike D-C05, I like the idea of the 722k with 2 OTA tuners and am thinking of getting it to replace my 622. So, I'm interested in hearing what you think of the PQ of the 722k. One question: There is only one coaxial imput for the OTA. So is the signal split and thus the PQ decreased if using both OTA tuners at the same time?

Thanks.

How many MPEG 4 channels per TP does Directv do?

Dish does 7 (UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) and the FSN-HD's have never looked worse.

If Dish cut down to 4 maybe they would care about quality? Sure can't wait till they try and squeeze 8! Boy oh Boy! :rolleyes:

How many MPEG 4 channels per TP does Directv do?

Dish does 7 (UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) and the FSN-HD's have never looked worse.

If Dish cut down to 4 maybe they would care about quality? Sure can't wait till they try and squeeze 8! Boy oh Boy! :rolleyes:

DirecTV does 5, but that is on a Ka transponder, which is sliced up a bit different, and has higher FEC requirements. So it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

The Denver locals were among the first channels to be put on Ciel 2 and are on spot beams. I noticed improved PQ on these channels after the transfer. This morning I did a detailed comparison of their PQ versus my OTA version of the same channel and I can say that Dish's PQ on those channels has definitely improved. Color saturation and contrast have greatly improved on those channels via Dish and there is little or no difference in PQ between them and their OTA counterparts.

I've also noticed that my Starz and Cinemax HD channels seem to have better color saturation and contrast now that they are on Ciel 2, but I didn't make any actual comparisons with those channels.

Thanks, msmith198025...I look forward to your report.

Thanks, to the others who responded to my question. I have a 622 and live in the southeast. I've never had any drop-outs or signal strength problems, but I've heard some areas of the country benefit more from Ciel 2 than others.

Mike D-C05, I like the idea of the 722k with 2 OTA tuners and am thinking of getting it to replace my 622. So, I'm interested in hearing what you think of the PQ of the 722k. One question: There is only one coaxial imput for the OTA. So is the signal split and thus the PQ decreased if using both OTA tuners at the same time?

Thanks.

One coax that splits inside the receiver into two ota tuners. There should be no decreased pq on the ota. I have the Echostar Pal plus dvr for ota and it works on the same concept and I see no difference between the two ota channels in regard to pq and I can record two ota at the same time. With the 722k you can use the two ota tuners in two ways: In Dual mode tv 1 gets one sat and one ota, tv2 gets one sat and one ota. In Single mode & I 'm only guessing since I don't have one yet, that you can swap between either ota or sat or both ,using pip. But I will let you know what I think of the pq , once I get it hooked up this week. I'll report back then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)