Who here streams a lot but still prefers physical media?

And he’s got one of the spheres from one of the best Sci-Fi Thrillers in existence! “Phantasm” was my favorite example of that genre until “Cabin in the Woods”…

I still have my Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc and DVD combo player. I’m bummed I never bought the AC-3 RF decoder box for it since my Marantz AVR of the time had it built in, but now that feature is no longer a feature, so many movies won’t play the awesome Dolby Surround from the era.

I’ve got the Star Wars trilogy (back when there were only 3 Star War movies) without the “upgraded” SFX. I have the animated Star Trek series (with the Larry Niven crossover episode with the Kzinti!). Multiple copies of “Beauty and the Beast”, including the pencil test limited edition. Thomas Dolby “Blinded me with Science” mini-LD. Lots of goodies that didn’t make it into the cloud.
Phantasm is still one of my favorite Sci-Fi Horror films. That music to this day sends a little chill down my spine.

Reactions: Foxbat and FTA4PA
Yes two of each. Both recorders.
I only have a VHS VCR and Laserdisc player because some things will never come to DVD or whatever form of Blu-ray. As far as I know everything that came out on Beta is at least out on VHS if not a newer technology on top of that, and everything that came out on HD-DVD later came out on Blu-ray. But I could be mistaken. Anyways, my 4K HDR/3D Blu-ray player is region-free and plays any region Blu-ray/Blu-ray 3D, and any region DVD.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Prefer physical media - yeah just a bit! We still stream though (at least until we can acquire the physical media). Our LPs, 45s and cassettes are not pictured but there are a few open reels in there by the CDs. And yes, I have hardware for all of it including Sony and Toshiba VHS recorders, a Sony 200 CD changer, a Sony 400 DVD changer, a Sony dual cassette recording deck, two Webcor vacuum tube open reel players, a Channel Master 8 track recorder and a Zenith drawer loading linear tracking turntable. :D

View attachment 156883

View attachment 156884

View attachment 156885

View attachment 156886

View attachment 156887

View attachment 156888

View attachment 156889

View attachment 156890
You're like me, the den is overloaded with Beta/VHS/DVDs/CDs. I go to Goodwill a lot as I like Disney films. You never know what you might find there.

I only have a VHS VCR and Laserdisc player because some things will never come to DVD or whatever form of Blu-ray. As far as I know everything that came out on Beta is at least out on VHS if not a newer technology on top of that, and everything that came out on HD-DVD later came out on Blu-ray. But I could be mistaken. Anyways, my 4K HDR/3D Blu-ray player is region-free and plays any region Blu-ray/Blu-ray 3D, and any region DVD.
I finally got a Blu Ray player last year, as some movies have only been released on Blu Ray. I wanted a Blu Ray disc recorder, but the stand alone ones have to be imported from Japan or Europe and are expensive. Plus Blu Ray blanks are expensive too.

Only thing physical about my collection are the 300TB of hard drive storage it currently takes up for the primary and the backup. With my dads recent passing, I've been cleaning out a lot of stuff as I went thru his stuff and mine and decided what I was keeping and what to give away/recycle/trash. I did come across a box in my media closet with some original VHS of Star Wars, some dvds, cds and the Star Wars LaserDisc collection.
A friend who passed away in 2016 got rid of his DVD collection after putting everything on HDDs. He also had a back up collection. I have not tried to do that. Too much work & time plus I like have the discs in boxes as the library is a nice touch.

You're like me, the den is overloaded with Beta/VHS/DVDs/CDs. I go to Goodwill a lot as I like Disney films. You never know what you might find there.

Yep, we have purchased many used discs, usually from eBay. We only get those that are listed as very good, excellent, like new or new. Some great bargains on there and a nice way to build your collection at a reasonable price. :)

Reactions: mwdxer1
Yep, we have purchased many used discs, usually from eBay. We only get those that are listed as very good, excellent, like new or new. Some great bargains on there and a nice way to build your collection at a reasonable price. :)
I may be a little or very OCD, but I like to buy my crap new. Although an eBayer last year tried to get by selling me a set of Christmas VHS tapes he labeled as "new" but when I received them they were CLEARLY RESEALED. The Rudolph tape even needed rewinding. I reported him to eBay and PayPal and sent the tapes back and got my money back. He tried also to put a negative feedback in the positive feedback of my profile (since sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers) and I reported him on that and they removed it. I left negative feedback for him, but then it no longer showed up the next day. I notice that he has 100% positive feedback left for him, but the fishy thing about that the amount of feedback left for him it types is larger than his actual score. And if it's actually 100% positive, the amount of positive feedback left for him would be the EXACT SAME as the number of all the feedback left for him. Clearly some neutral and negative feedbacks are not showing. I recently looked and that seller is still on eBay. I'd like to post his username here to warn you guys not to buy from him, but I have no idea if that's allowed here. And no, I'm not making this up.

Edit: Just some advice... if a user has 100% positive feedback on eBay, make sure that it's the same number as the total amount of feedback left for him altogether. Just my two cents.

I may be a little or very OCD, but I like to buy my crap new. Although an eBayer last year tried to get by selling me a set of Christmas VHS tapes he labeled as "new" but when I received them they were CLEARLY RESEALED. The Rudolph tape even needed rewinding. I reported him to eBay and PayPal and sent the tapes back and got my money back. He tried also to put a negative feedback in the positive feedback of my profile (since sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers) and I reported him on that and they removed it. I left negative feedback for him, but then it no longer showed up the next day. I notice that he has 100% positive feedback left for him, but the fishy thing about that the amount of feedback left for him it types is larger than his actual score. And if it's actually 100% positive, the amount of positive feedback left for him would be the EXACT SAME as the number of all the feedback left for him. Clearly some neutral and negative feedbacks are not showing. I recently looked and that seller is still on eBay. I'd like to post his username here to warn you guys not to buy from him, but I have no idea if that's allowed here. And no, I'm not making this up.

Edit: Just some advice... if a user has 100% positive feedback on eBay, make sure that it's the same number as the total amount of feedback left for him altogether. Just my two cents.

Agree, there are definitely some cheats on there - have run into a few myself. I'm still willing to take the chance and for the most part have made out very well with transactions there. :)

Reactions: edisonprime
I think it's my OCD, but I like my stuff originally sealed. And everything I buy is still reasonably priced anyways.

We get most of our media new from places like Amazon, etc and probably about 90% of the media we buy on eBay is brand new and sealed as well. There are just some things that are now out of print and if you want them you must buy used. Being on eBay for over twenty years we have pretty much learned what to look out for. The key for us is to buy from those selling off parts of their personal collections or established individual sellers with excellent reputations that they want to retain.

We now totally avoid buying from large sellers who appear to be basically online pawn shops. They often do hundreds or even thousands of transactions a month and some do not check their merchandise very carefully. There is one group that does business on there that we bought an item from quite a while back and will never do business with again. They brag about how the items they receive are all meticulously inspected and only the highest quality ones are listed which is total bull$hit. The particular item we ordered was described as like new condition but used stock pictures to show it. We knew better but the price was great and we foolishly bit. It arrived with wear and fraying on every corner, divots in the cover, front was actually sticky and had a piece of dried food stuck to it and the discs were scuffed and scratched. :mad:

Reported them and got our money back - lesson learned. Only buy items that show detailed clear pictures of the actual item for sale so you know exactly what you are getting. You can't avoid every shady deal out there but, in general, our track record is very good. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: edisonprime
We get most of our media new from places like Amazon, etc and probably about 90% of the media we buy on eBay is brand new and sealed as well. There are just some things that are now out of print and if you want them you must buy used. Being on eBay for over twenty years we have pretty much learned what to look out for. The key for us is to buy from those selling off parts of their personal collections or established individual sellers with excellent reputations that they want to retain.

We now totally avoid buying from large sellers who appear to be basically online pawn shops. They often do hundreds or even thousands of transactions a month and some do not check their merchandise very carefully. There is one group that does business on there that we bought an item from quite a while back and will never do business with again. They brag about how the items they receive are all meticulously inspected and only the highest quality ones are listed which is total bull$hit. The particular item we ordered was described as like new condition but used stock pictures to show it. We knew better but the price was great and we foolishly bit. It arrived with wear and fraying on every corner, divots in the cover, front was actually sticky and had a piece of dried food stuck to it and the discs were scuffed and scratched. :mad:

Reported them and got our money back - lesson learned. Only buy items that show detailed clear pictures of the actual item for sale so you know exactly what you are getting. You can't avoid every shady deal out there but, in general, our track record is very good. :)
I

I've found a lot of decades old stuff that was still sealed. As I pointed out earlier, at least in person if not online, I can tell if it's the original seal. Yes, sealed stuff is slightly higher but most of the time of what I've bought wasn't terrible. But yes, there are occasions where you have no choice but to buy used. I wanted to replace my 3D TV last year, and yes, I had to buy a used copy.

I get a lot used DVDs in very good to new condition from Amazon and on occasional off ebay. But Goodwill and thrift stores are great sources.

Yes, nothing like actually having the item in your hand to be able to look it over.
Although one thing I like about new discs, tapes, etc. is when you open them you often get those neat little pamphlets or brochures inside that are often fun to look at. That's a little bonus for me getting new.

Reactions: TheKrell and FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts