Who is interested in helping to suggest ideas for a Man Cave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
Hello Everyone.

I have been sitting in my current Man Cave for two years now and as much as I like it, its time to get a little more manly. Currently, I have a 51" Hitachi CRT, 2 black leather couches, 3 glass tables (1 long one and 2 end tables) and a fireplace. I am attaching a very rough schematic of my basement with a list of my ideas and questions.

Considering I will be getting married in July and the economy is not getting any better, this is a dream of mine which I do not see coming into fruition for at least a year. Therefore, if you rather not contribute at this time, I certainly will respect and appreciate that.

If you are interested in helping, please see attached and send ideas with links.

Thanks ahead of time . . . Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• Dream Cave.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 181
It cannot be a true man cave without a front projector. That TV is too small for that large room. Then you need to paint the walls as dark as possible, ideally flat black. And a fireplace in a man cave? NOT!!!

This might (or might not) get more looks in our HT sub forums... :) Like Jim says consider a FPTV... prices are falling and you can be quite happy with a 720p or one of the newer sub 1k 1080p FPTV's that are hitting the market and start from there.

good suggestions but again, not thinking of the type of tv or projector for a while . . . plus, would not know where to place screen except for where tv is now and that kind of "splits' the room and makes it feel smaller; was hoping to use fireplace as center of attention thus placing television above it

also, the room is already very dark (no windows, no outside doorways, walls are painted a dark merlot color)

Man Cave? Didn't Jeffrey Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy have one of those? Seriously, I am not a fan of the front projector, but that's a personal choice. Either way, for a room that size I would opt for a front projector of a Mits 73" which can had for a reasonable price these days - the 60" is too small. Also, make sure you invest in a quality Home Theater systems (Yamaha or Denon) and speakers (Klipsch, etc.). Just my two cents on the equipment.

Are you looking for just ideas for a HT or items that would work well in a "Man Cave"?

As I suggested in the attachment, I am looking for general ideas on everything from flooring to furniture, to lighting, to wall covering, etc. I did say that as the time draws closer, then I will think of a display. The only problem with a projector is that I would like a display above the fireplace (as it should serve as the focal point) but with the bulkhead right in front of the fireplace, I do not see how a 106" screen will fit and and how a projector's projection will project without being obstructed.

I put a classic arcade machine into mine. The kids love to play it and it has been a good discussion topic for people that visit.

Well, I think a lot of folks are going to focus on the theater aspects. Let me get those out of the way.

TVs above fireplaces are generally not a great idea. First, they tend to be too high. This leads to neck strain. You also need to tilt them down or you will get significant darkening of the picture. If the fireplace is actually used, the added heat will strain the TV and possibly cause early failure.

A corner placement is tough to get good sound from. Lots of reflections and very tough to get the back speakers into any sort of shape. If you are mostly a sports guy, I would suggest doing a sound bar and punt the surround. If you are looking at movies and TV viewing, you may want to rethink.

I'd consider moving the closets. They are taking up some of your best wall space, that near the fireplace.

A lot of the rest is personal taste. A long narrow space is well suited to being divided up into zones. Good candidates are a bar, a gaming area, a poker or pool table. It all depends on what you like. My brother in law keeps a couple of vintage Harleys there, but he is a bike guy through and through. Retired Harley engineer.

Definitely get flexible but comfortable seating if you do zones. Carpeting is dependent on what you plan to do. Soft and thick is good for theater, but indoor ouitdoor is better for a sports or kids oriented theme.

I've never liked the idea of putting a TV over a fireplace.
It's to high.
You'd never see a TV up that high if there was no fireplace there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts