Who plans on getting a 6000?

I'm THERE!!!
figure I can sell my Samsung 151 for about that, end up with FREE SuperDish, finally get E* HD pak and still probably recoup the $199 later in '04 when I shoot for the 921.

no brainer

Anyone know if the 6000 will work with standard tv till I upgrade to hdtv? I need to sell a 55" sd projection tv first befre I go buy the new hdtv version

sure will, just either use S-Vid out or you can set the component out to 480i (I think)

You can use the S-Video or Composite (yellow rca) for your SD output on the Dish 6000. You can even watch HDTV channels on a SD Television. They'll be down resezed, but they'll still look better than any SD channel.

BTW: You can not set the component output to 480p or 480i. Just 1080i or 720p.

Thanks for the info! Now I just hope dish comes through with what they promised in the chat 6000 with both modules, and install (wonder if it needs 1 or 2 dishes) or superdish! for $199 or will they be sold out when you call for the offer. :rolleyes:

I wonder if you will end up having a 2 year commitment, 1 for the 6000 and another for the Superdish upgrade.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case, not that there is anything wrong with it if you are happy with Dish.

Very tempting, . . . but I think I will wait for the 811. I already have a 6000, and really need an HD receiver that can output both SD & HD at the same time to support whole house distribution in SD. The 6000 can't do this, and I really notice this a lot when I am roaming the house, . . . the 811 is suppose to support this dual mode. Of course when I do get the 811, and get the free superdish, . . . I'm sure the 6000 will migrate to the bedroom and I'll be forced to get an HD compatible set up there :)

I also think that the 811, with its newer chip set, just might output a little bit better PQ than the 6000 with an SD broadcast. I just got a 508 a month or so ago, and when I switch between the 508 and the 6000 for an SD show, the 508 looks a lot better on my big screen (never noticed the difference between my old 4000 and the 6000). Hope the same is true with the 811. Does anyone else notice a difference?

6000 Sweet and sour?

With the great news of the 6000 "deal" going on right now, the sentiments are very sweet, but when all these folks see the short comings in the current 6000 firmware, will all this joy turn sour? I don't mean to "rain on the parade" but the 6000 does have some limitations, most prevalent is the EPG which can only (for me) see out about 90 minutes without getting "Information unavailable" in the time slots.and then, going out 2-3 hours requires "downloading information from satellite." If you are not looking for a slick EPG, then the 6000 is a good (not the best) HD receiver. The only problem I have with my 6000 (2 years old) is the noise from the 8VSB fan (so I put the unit in a closable, vented cabinet) and the reboot problems when the local OTA stations monkey with their PSIP signals and the box's firmware gets confused and dies (or changes to a totally different channel after 10 or so seconds). Hopefully, we won't allow the foibles to ruin the deal...

Beware. I'm not sure if the 8VSB is included.

I'm not sure if the 8VSB is included. If it's included, it's a killer deal. But if you add up the saving they claimed, it suggest that it's not included.

Here is the math:

- The MSRP is $499
- Installation is $99
- The deal is $199, a saving of $399
- Since the $499 MSRP is without 8VSB, the deal must be without it.

I think the 6000 makes a very attractive option if you want throw HD into your mix of equipment AND you want to wait for the next generation of HD-DVRs from E* to be developed. I know many folks will be jumping on 921's faster than they can be produced but I'm waiting.

A question for you 6000 owners out there, although I think I know the answer. Unfortunately, there is no DVI output but here is the question.....can you feed HD into a second TV in another room (about 35 feet away) without buying a component switch box? Or SD? Is obtaining and running a 35 foot long 'S' video cable your only option? Will the output be fed simultaneously with the main HD TV?

Andy

Anonymous said:
I'm THERE!!!
figure I can sell my Samsung 151 for about that, end up with FREE SuperDish, finally get E* HD pak and still probably recoup the $199 later in '04 when I shoot for the 921.

no brainer
Are you so sure that you'll be able to recoup that $199 when the market will be flooded with peeps looking to dump their boxes? If and when the price for the 811 drops (how long will msrp last?), never mind any promotions for new and existing subs, you may be hard pressed to get $75 for it. That's my fear if I buy one now as a stop gap measure.

AndyMon said:
A question for you 6000 owners out there, although I think I know the answer. Unfortunately, there is no DVI output but here is the question.....can you feed HD into a second TV in another room (about 35 feet away) without buying a component switch box? Or SD? Is obtaining and running a 35 foot long 'S' video cable your only option? Will the output be fed simultaneously with the main HD TV?

Andy

The 6000 can NOT (currently) supply signal to the S-Video and Component outputs simultaneously. You must switch the receiver to SD or HD mode to light up the S-Video or Component outputs respectively. As for splitting and driving a 2nd display some distance away... someone else will have to answer that. I can only guess, but I believe these cables are really transmission lines (balanced, 75ohm impedance) and I would _think_ that without driving/splitting hardware, you'll degrade the signals to both units. Hopefully, some other EE can answer this one definitively.

AndyMon said:
Anonymous said:
I'm THERE!!!

no brainer
Are you so sure that you'll be able to recoup that $199...quote]

well maybe not QUITE totally recoup...but I think there are also gonna be more and more peeps looking to get basic HD for an initial system, just like I initially did with the Samnsung. Even if I could get $75 to $125 for it I would factor that against the ability to get DISH HD for the next 2 months, in addition to NOT having to pay an additional $200 for the 811.

I dunno, my math works for me :shock:

I like my 6000, despite the fact the EPG is an antique. I bought my 8VSB module back when Sears was giving them away ($75 or something ridiculous, I forget what I paid), and it generally works well. I plan on taking advantage of the free 8PSK deal, though it does frost me that I have to pay the whole year of HD upfront. When I bought the receiver it is implied that I'd be able to watch all HD programming on Dish, I believe they should give away 8PSK modules with ZERO commitment, since without it the receiver is largely useless.

That said, I'd still jump on the current 6000 deal for those without - for reasons better left unsaid, nobody has ever had a problem selling old Dish receivers on eBay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)