Who said any new HD (Incl Locals) or new VOOm channels in January?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
After a conversation with a CSR today regarding the Lifetime Channels and any new HD--including locals--I was told that any new VOOM channels may not be until March and that anyone posting that they are getting guide info are probably BETA testers.

Same story for Local HD.

Is anyone one this forum a beta tester?

I don't know about this CSR as she also said we would eventually GET ALL 21 VOOM channels!

You might want to do some searches...there are bunches of posts on these topics! Reading thru the recap of the last Charlie Chat would be a good one to start with.

bookwalk said:
After a conversation with a CSR today regarding the Lifetime Channels and any new HD--including locals--I was told that any new VOOM channels may not be until March and that anyone posting that they are getting guide info are probably BETA testers.
Same story for Local HD.
Is anyone one this forum a beta tester?
I don't know about this CSR as she also said we would eventually GET ALL 21 VOOM channels!

OH NOOOOOO.......not another mis informed Dish CSR.

I bet it was the same CSR that told me last year that the 10 VOOM channels we have now were going to be added to the HD Pak at no additional cost. I was also told that I wouldn't need another Dish (61.5) to get them. Needless to say the CSR was wrong then, and I'm willing to bet the CSR is wrong now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
Perhaps tomorrow you can go chat with a Best Buy sales rep to get the latest skinny on HDTV technology.

Yeah, you'll learn how all the channels are in HD and you don't have to buy anything extra to receive them. :p

We'll just have to wait and see what happens at CES and on the Chat next week. In all fairness to Bookwalk and to CSR's someone MUCH higher (from the office of one of the executives on CHarlie Chat) 50/50 guess, also said March. Not sure if anyone knows what the other is doing.

Just have to play the waiting game.

Tom Bombadil said:
Perhaps tomorrow you can go chat with a Best Buy sales rep to get the latest skinny on HDTV technology.
Make sure you spend atleast a grand or two on Monster cables. You cant watch HD without them.

GeorgeLV said:
Yeah, you'll learn how all the channels are in HD and you don't have to buy anything extra to receive them. :p

And when you watch a channel off your sat or cable box and it says "presented in HD" they also think they have the real thing....

teachsac said:
We'll just have to wait and see what happens at CES and on the Chat next week. In all fairness to Bookwalk and to CSR's someone MUCH higher (from the office of one of the executives on CHarlie Chat) 50/50 guess, also said March. Not sure if anyone knows what the other is doing.
Just have to play the waiting game.

I've got to go with Gary on this one, HD LIL in March. I am willing to bet we will see the new VOOM channels, and a couple of other National HD channels to be announced at CES.

I've only been with Dish a year and it's been my experience that they get it right 2 times out of 10, this includes the higher up's in the executive offices. At least this has been my experience.

I believe that VOOM, ESPN HD, and possibly others will be launched some time this month. I was just restaing what I was told. It's not only the CSR's that are in the dark (or confuesed at this point).

I think with the complete 180 from the November chat and the December chat, there is possibly not the best communication going around the org. Or perhaps, Dish has been losing too significant a number of subscribers to D* with their MPEG4 conversion over the past few months and is trying to catch up.

Tom Bombadil said:

lol Best Buy sales.... A couple days ago I was listening to one of them tell some customers that there wasn't anything on during the week in HD and on weekends they could get a couple of football games. huh?

Then he told them the LCD's were the best things out there.... as he was tapping on the screen pointing things out.

One more reason to become a knowledgeable consumer before going to buy something.

I'm personally a fan of the last CSR I talked to, who had ME explain to him the existance of the 211/411 and the spelling of MPEG

tankerman said:
January's Dish Entertainment book, states on pages 4 & 5:

"the addition of 7 new VOOM channels, during the first week of January."
I think we already know it's going to be 5, not 7.

As for the question about it taking a Beta Tester to get the current EPG - well that's just wrong. Our uplink guys like Goaliebob and JohnH have standard, legal, off-the-shelf, FTA satellite cards in their PCs that can read the unencrypted EPG data along with some other good stuff.

tankerman said:
January's Dish Entertainment book, states on pages 4 & 5:
"the addition of 7 new VOOM channels, during the first week of January."

It's Charlie math. Add 5 Voom channels take away GuyTV and Majestic and add Kung Fu and Film Fest. See? You added seven channels...you just neglect to mention that two were subtracted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)