Who was the Best Two Sport Athlete?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I might be wrong but i think he was the only one to play in the championship game of the two sports that he played in.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SatelliteGuys
Yep. But that doesn't make him better than Bo. That just means he played on a better team than Bo.

I played WITH Dion at FSU. He would have dedicated full time to baseball, he would have been a very good player.
Maybe. From what I have seen of him, he was always a utility outfielder and was basically strong in one aspect of the game, speed. He had a poor arm, his defense was just OK, he had no power, and his average was not that impressive. If he played baseball full time, he may have improved on his batting average and been a descent leadoff hitter.

Saw Bo play football many times at Auburn. My favorite athlete behind Larry Bird. I remember Bo doing many things. Out ran Deion while playing Florida State. Running over seemingly bigger guys with no problem. Could cut on a dime (people forget this about him) and could jump. Man could he jump! He had it all.
My favorite though was while playing baseball at Auburn while playing at Georgia hit 3 hrs. They were 3 shots that even the opposing crowd cheered after each monster hrs. Then he doubled and the crowd booed him. He gets back to Auburn several times a year.

DodgerKing said:
Yep. But that doesn't make him better than Bo. That just means he played on a better team than Bo.

Well we don't know how good Bo would of been since he got hurt, Sanders would be considered a better player because he played longer and didn't get hurt.

cybok0 said:
I might be wrong but i think he was the only one to play in the championship game of the two sports that he played in.

I think Bo did as well when he played for the White Sox..

Gene Conley was a three time all-star with the Milwaukee Braves, and he won a World Series with them in 1957. He also played four seasons for the Boston Celtics and won three NBA Championships with them in 1959, '60 and '61.

In Milwaukiee, where was the fourth starter behind Spahn, Burdette and pray for wet, he got pretty good run support from a lineup that featured the most productive home run tandem of all time, Hank Aaron and Eddie Matthews,

During his three championship seasons with the Celtics, he finished ninth, seventh and eighth in minutes played, but in two of those seasons, each and every player who played more minutes made it to the NBA Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

Well we don't know how good Bo would of been since he got hurt, Sanders would be considered a better player because he played longer and didn't get hurt.

But we do know how good Bo was, because we saw him mash monster home runs, steal bases and throw out runners. We also saw him have two 90 yard runs for touchdowns in the same game and saw him run over Brian Bosworth at the goal line. What his hip injury deprived him of was cumulative numbers. He simply didn't have the opportunity to do for a decade and a half that which we saw him do for a couple of years.

Deion Sanders and Michael Jordan were never able to hit major league pitching well enough to be paid to do it for a living. I don't care how good an athlete is, there is no way for us to know whether someone could ever hit a baseball thrown at over 90 miles per hour with spin on it until we have actually seen him do it.

Last edited:

What we do know is while both played, Bo was better than Sanders in every aspect of both games combined by a long shot. In those few years he put up much better numbers than Sanders in in both sports, particularly baseball.

In football they were much more evenly matched. Even though they played different ends of the field in football, Bo was much more dominate when compared to other running backs than Sanders was when compared to other defensive backs. Sanders did play more positions in football than Bo however. He was more versatile.

In baseball though, Deion cannot even hold a candle to Bo.

DodgerKing said:
What we do know is while both played, Bo was better than Sanders in every aspect of both games combined by a long shot. In those few years he put up much better numbers than Sanders in in both sports, particularly baseball.

In football they were much more evenly matched. Even though they played different ends of the field in football, Bo was much more dominate when compared to other running backs than Sanders was when compared to other defensive backs. Sanders did play more positions in football than Bo however. He was more versatile.

In baseball though, Deion cannot even hold a candle to Bo.

don't get me wrong, I liked Bo but IMO Sanders was a better football player, he is in the HOF, Bo was a better baseball player but he didn't play long enough to get to that elite status. Before you say it I know Sanders wasn't elite in baseball but he did go to a world series.

Lindros could of been elite in hockey but with his injuries he didn't amount to anything, part of being a elite player is to stay healthy over a long period of time.

You are all missing the best two sport athlete of all time, Jim Brown!

Yes, you are wrong about this. i may be biased, but I will vote for my Uncle, Otto Graham. NFL HOF QB, played in champoinship game every year of his career. Also played for and won an NBL title with the Rochester Royals.

Going back to college @ Northwestern, he was a 4 sport letterman.

If I would count only people I've seen play, Bo Jackson would win, Deion Sanders 2nd.

Here's a link to an interesting article:

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/roc-sports-history/?p=3

Sparkman said:
Yes, you are wrong about this. i may be biased, but I will vote for my Uncle, Otto Graham. NFL HOF QB, played in champoinship game every year of his career. Also played for and won an NBL title with the Rochester Royals.

If I would count only people I've seen play, Bo Jackson would win, Deion Sanders 2nd.

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/roc-sports-history/?p=3

Great paper! Lived in Rochester in the 80s.

don't get me wrong, I liked Bo but IMO Sanders was a better football player, he is in the HOF, Bo was a better baseball player but he didn't play long enough to get to that elite status. Before you say it I know Sanders wasn't elite in baseball but he did go to a world series.

Lindros could of been elite in hockey but with his injuries he didn't amount to anything, part of being a elite player is to stay healthy over a long period of time.

For Bo, baseball was his #1 sport and football #2

Sander, football was his #1 sport and baseball #2

I'm not sure that Bo was a better Baseball player, his injuries shortened his football career just as he was breaking out.

I would have loved to see him as a football player on full strength.

Dave Winfield who played Football, Baseball, and Basketball for the Gophers.

Day of Reckoning | Roc Sports Rewind | Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

I'll take Otto too! Or Jim Thorpe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)