Whole-Home DVR Service

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
I see that DIRECTV now offers a "Whole Home-DVR Service" that connects all of the HD receivers in the house to a HD DVR receiver so you can watch HD recorded shows off the central DVR at other locations. You can even add a second DVR to add the possibilities.

I know that Dish has a lot wrapped up in the 922 but does anyone know if Dish has any plans to upgrade their receivers so their customers can do the same thing as the Direct receivers?

I see that DIRECTV now offers a "Whole Home-DVR Service" that connects all of the HD receivers in the house to a HD DVR receiver so you can watch HD recorded shows off the central DVR at other locations. You can even add a second DVR to add the possibilities.

I know that Dish has a lot wrapped up in the 922 but does anyone know if Dish has any plans to upgrade their receivers so their customers can do the same thing as the Direct receivers?
I hope their working on it dish is the only major provider that does not offer it.
Comcast is rolling it out now and att had it from the start the direct tv seems the best because you can use more than 1 dvr .
It would be great if my two 722 could share hd recordings.

I'd love to see it. With the service and some software on your PC, you can watch TV on your computer. If the upfront cost for the equipment, would need 2 HD DVR's and an HD receiver to get the same capability I have today, I'd be gone.

I hope their working on it dish is the only major provider that does not offer it.
Comcast is rolling it out now and att had it from the start the direct tv seems the best because you can use more than 1 dvr .
It would be great if my two 722 could share hd recordings.

Don't see the benefit here at least for me. I am a handy person, and right now I can watch any DVR in any room. If I wanted to hook it up that way. Also With 2 722k receivers with OTA modular. I can record 4 sat programs and 4 OTA programs at the same time. And be watching recorded shows at that same time, for a total of 10. Yes over kill but with 2 teenagers and a wife, makes it easy for me to get what I want. Dish will do something as soon as it is precieved as a costumer retention thingy. As well as a get new costumer thingy. And not just something to put in a ad. We shall see.:D

Right now I have a 1000.2 and one line goes to one DVD and another line goes to another DVr what would I need to be able to hook up another dvr right next to my main tv. This way I could just switch between the two and record more.

Don't see the benefit here at least for me. I am a handy person, and right now I can watch any DVR in any room. If I wanted to hook it up that way. Also With 2 722k receivers with OTA modular. I can record 4 sat programs and 4 OTA programs at the same time. And be watching recorded shows at that same time, for a total of 10. Yes over kill but with 2 teenagers and a wife, makes it easy for me to get what I want. Dish will do something as soon as it is precieved as a costumer retention thingy. As well as a get new costumer thingy. And not just something to put in a ad. We shall see.:D
So you can watch hd from your two dvr in any room ?
did you run Component and audio cables to all of your tvs or how did you do it?

So you can watch hd from your two dvr in any room ?
did you run Component and audio cables to all of your tvs or how did you do it?

First sorry if this is off topic. Will stop if there's a problem. Kids, two rooms have out put 2 one from each DVR, none HD. One kid has a HD TV other does not and frankly not a priority. Master bedroom and rec-room and sun room, living room. TV's 58 plasma living room. 42 inch LCD1080P bedroom, rec-room 50 lcd720p, Sun room 47 LCD . All HDMI, using a two switches 1 in, 2 out, cable run under floor. Suspended ceiling tile. I also believe the quality of each HD pic is flawless in each room. Also solved the remote issue useing remote 1. I use a remote extender that makes and IR a RF remote, bought two spares off Ebay to keep in there rightful rooms. Also as far as expense goes I have found cheap places to get switches and cables from. Like most people on sites like this not just a blogger but like to play with stuff. If you haven't tried it somebody else did, and when it works it is soooo, cool!:up

I think it already is a customer retention issue. I just left Dish a week or so ago, and whole-home DVR was one of the major cost to benefit factors that DirecTV had over Dish for me. With two HR24s in the house, it is a dream. In my opinion, Dish has mostly lost any hardware lead they had with the introduction of the HR24 and MRV. I really wanted to stay with Dish, but things such as the whole home DVR swayed me towards D*.

**EDIT** For the OP, I always got the impression that Dish's MRV solution was the 2 TV outputs of the *22s and now the Sling ability of the 922. However, I think those are overly complicated when compared to offerings from other providers that work over coax or Ethernet and are all but transparent. If I recall though, the VIPs can do MRV over power lines. If that is the case, Dish should activate it pronto.

Directv uses Deca (Directv Ethernet Coaxial Adapter) to stream video to all TVs. It's ethernet through coax but all the receivers need to be compatible.
Correct they use the same coax that feeds the receivers and all receivers have to be compatible but do not need to be dvrs so you can have 1 dvr and watch the show in any room that you have a hd receiver But two dvr gives you 4 tuners 3 six and so on for 3 dollars per month plus 5 per receiver not bad .
My neighbor had it installed and it works well .

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet Dish has something similar in the works. Perhaps they are trying to spring a well timed surprise. But it might reduce the number of high end boxes they lease, so there may be some internal arguments going.

I think it already is a customer retention issue. I just left Dish a week or so ago, and whole-home DVR was one of the major cost to benefit factors that DirecTV had over Dish for me. With two HR24s in the house, it is a dream. In my opinion, Dish has mostly lost any hardware lead they had with the introduction of the HR24 and MRV. I really wanted to stay with Dish, but things such as the whole home DVR swayed me towards D*.

**EDIT** For the OP, I always got the impression that Dish's MRV solution was the 2 TV outputs of the *22s and now the Sling ability of the 922. However, I think those are overly complicated when compared to offerings from other providers that work over coax or Ethernet and are all but transparent. If I recall though, the VIPs can do MRV over power lines. If that is the case, Dish should activate it pronto.

If I understand the current dish technology correctly to have something close to whole house capability "out of the box" requires the ADDITIONAL purchase of various Sling adapters and they are not cheap. If I understand Directs set up if you are a new customer and order the MRV then you receive everything you need at installation time, don't need sling adapters etc...

Ross

If I understand the current dish technology correctly to have something close to whole house capability "out of the box" requires the ADDITIONAL purchase of various Sling adapters and they are not cheap. If I understand Directs set up if you are a new customer and order the MRV then you receive everything you need at installation time, don't need sling adapters etc...

Ross

That's correct as far as DirecTV. I had two HR24s installed which have the DECA built-in. The only cost to me was $99 for the second DVR. If I had wanted a receiver without DVR, it would have been free. In my opinion, Sling is not a whole home solution, at least not yet. I believe there were VIP boxes in the works that would have Slingcatchers in them, but I have no idea if those are still going to happen or when. Even if the come, Dish currently charges $199 for the 922 alone, even for new customers.

Does anyone know if the current lineup of VIPs have MRV capabilities that are simply dormant?

In my office we were told that according to the higher ups at dish. They are working on a whole home dvr. Thats all I know.

So the 922 isn't going to be the one to do mrv? My God how many receiver does DISH need to do this ? Can't they adopt the strategy that Directv has and use the coax already run in almost all houses out there? I will be really upset if the sling 922 isn't going to be that box. I will be even more upset if I have to pay out the ass to get a hd media extender for my bedroom tv. If it is too much , I will stay with the 211k instead.

How does Direct do it? How do they get "up to 15" tv's on one DVR? I've not seen technically how they do it? Is it wireless and does it require multiple boxes?

I'm curious if the Directv multi room viewing feature allows you to watch something Different in each room or if you watch the SAME thing in each room. Kind of like ATT does with the uverse tv: stop in one room , pick it up in the next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)