Whole Home DVR Set up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Smolenski7

Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Connecticut
So I'm guessing this isn't possible, but I'm going to check with you guys anyway.

My wife would like the whole home dvr service, but at $250.00 it's just not going to happen. However, if I can do it myself I can make her happy......and as a result I'll be happy.

I have an HR-21 in my living room hard wired to my router upstairs. I would like to also hard wire the HR-22 in my bedroom to the router. Would the two dvr's be able to see each other after I turn on the whole home dvr service for $3.00/mo?

Smolenski7 said:
So I'm guessing this isn't possible, but I'm going to check with you guys anyway.

My wife would like the whole home dvr service, but at $250.00 it's just not going to happen. However, if I can do it myself I can make her happy......and as a result I'll be happy.

I have an HR-21 in my living room hard wired to my router upstairs. I would like to also hard wire the HR-22 in my bedroom to the router. Would the two dvr's be able to see each other after I turn on the whole home dvr service for $3.00/mo?

This is how MRV was beta tested. It's my understanding that D* will allow you to do it this way, however it's unsupported. So you're on your own if you have issues.

It is that easy. However, the issue you may have is the CSR will try to get you to go with a DECA install. Explain that you know there is the unsupported method using your home network.

I have done the "unsupported method" all thru BETA and since the official product went live and have never had issues. But you will need to know how to setup and manage your own network from top to bottom; including understanding what hardware you have, how it works and any spec limitations it may have. Meaning, just because its a network, doesn't mean its a good, efficient network.

I have done the "unsupported method" all thru BETA and since the official product went live and have never had issues. But you will need to know how to setup and manage your own network from top to bottom; including understanding what hardware you have, how it works and any spec limitations it may have. Meaning, just because its a network, doesn't mean its a good, efficient network.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean there is more than just making a phone call to activate the WHDVR service?

I know the HR-21 and HR-22 DVR's I have hard wired to my router are compatible with the WHDVR service. And, the router should be able to handle it, I've never had issues with "OnDemand" (if that's what D* likes to call something that has to be downloaded first) in the past. So I'm assuming that the equipment I have to set up the WHDVR should do the job. Compatible

"Do you mean there is more than just making a phone call to activate the WHDVR service?"

YES, there can be. You can have IP collisions / issues, network traffic issues, router issues, etc. I prefer setting up Static assigned IPs on each device and at the router ; I prefer a Gigabit router and switches (if you need them), I prefer wired with CAT6a; staying away from wireless and homewire (all these can be seen as personal prefs, but I think its a better method for throughput) but thats just me and like I said, I don't have any issues even with HD content. D/L via VoD is a different animal than MRV over your network.. VoD is simply D/L a file and playing it back (SIMPLE).

As far as your current network gear being "compatible", sure its all "compatible"; its ethernet, its network packets. But again, just having "A" network, doesn't mean its a "GOOD" / well designed or well setup network.

So I did everything that I said I would. I connected both DVR's to my router and called D* to switch on the WHDVR service, but I have nothing. The WHDVR option doesn't show up anywhere.

Is it possible that I have to assign each box and my router a static ip address? If so, I've never done that before. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, could there be a problem because I have 2 other boxes in the house that are not compatible with the whole home dvr service?

Last edited:
Under "System Setup" there should be a menu three from the bottom called "Whole Home" - that's not there?

Under "System Setup" there should be a menu three from the bottom called "Whole Home" - that's not there?

I just went to the D* website and saw that I had to activate it myself. The CSR didn't inform me that I had to do that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)