Who's actually getting Voom at 129

I have a Dish Pro set up.

Is it because Voom isn't "offically" on 129 and that's why they need to think your at 61.5? Sorry if this is another post but I can't get through all of them in one afternoon :D

Simon says it went official on the 27th, so you might need to "educate" the CSRs.

(but it might be easier to lie.)

Not too much trouble to get them activated- now if only I could see them.

M Sparks has it right - easier to lie to them than to try to educate them. And after all, they lie to us all the time, so don't feel guilty about it.

And yes, Sept. 27th was the official "go live" date.

I tried(to find 129) with a D* dish and my 501 for a little bit this evening... the 501 does not show 129...(but it should have found a signal "wrong Sat") I found 119 then went west, no luck then it got dark...should have tried with my 2700 but the 501 was already hooked up in one of my campers to Tv and my Dpp44 setup...

Well, I spent 3 hours Saturday trying to see 129. I never could get a signal, let alone a lock. I also tried pointing based on some posts here and running a check switch. Never picked it up. I must have tried a dozen different angles, directions, etc. Am I missing a step here?

However, I was able to go back to 148 and everything came back.
FWIW I have the 811 (also tried on a 301).

Finding 129

I have spent hours trying to find 129 here in Modesto (Zip 95350). I have a Dish 500 at 110/119 and a Dish 300 at 148.

I can find all three of the above sats with my 300 but not the 129. Question: If it is available why doesn't Dish post the azimuth and elevation angles in their setup menus? Will they do this? Does any have any advice on where to point? I've been using my 811 for the dish pointing rather than the 921. It shouldn't make any difference.

I also talked to several different CSRs about my situation. One told me that I could use a Dish 1000 but it would cost me. Another told me that my area can't use a Dish 1000 but must have a Superdish. LOL. I don't believe either of them.

Comments and help appreciated.

There are published Azimuth/Elevation numbers, but only for the 1000.

This may seem like a dumb question, but do you have totally clear line of sight? I have lots of trees, and my 300 can get 110, 129, and 148, but not 119. The 500 is only 5 feet away, and it gets a perfect 119, but 110 has always been unstable.

After trying a 1000 on the 500 mast (killed the 110 signal), I wound up pointing the 300 at 110 and pointing the 500 at 119/129.

All I can do is repeat the usual advice- tune in 119, elevate the dish slightly, and swing it 9 degrees to the right.

DSquared said:
I have spent hours trying to find 129 here in Modesto (Zip 95350). I have a Dish 500 at 110/119 and a Dish 300 at 148.

I can find all three of the above sats with my 300 but not the 129. Question: If it is available why doesn't Dish post the azimuth and elevation angles in their setup menus? Will they do this? Does any have any advice on where to point? I've been using my 811 for the dish pointing rather than the 921. It shouldn't make any difference.

I also talked to several different CSRs about my situation. One told me that I could use a Dish 1000 but it would cost me. Another told me that my area can't use a Dish 1000 but must have a Superdish. LOL. I don't believe either of them.

Comments and help appreciated.

Ok, here is probably what your problem is...
First off, is the 129 satellite showing up as a satellite that you can check in the "dish pointing" screen?
If not, your receiver has not taken the latest software download, which is necessary before it will see the 129.
The reason they tell you to use the 1000, is because once you have the 119 and 110 lined up, the 129 will automatically be lined up.
As far as lining up the 129 with a Dish300, technically its possible, i don't know what elevation you would be but the on the azimuth, it will be 10 degrees off of what your 119 is lined up at. And you'd probably have to use a meter besides the receiver to line it up since the recevier doesn't recognize.

I'll tell you what my experience was...
I was lining up my Dish1000 off of my 625, I got the dish all lined up, but the 129 wasn't showing up in the point dish screen, i tried forcing the download, it ended up taking a little over a week before it downloaded the newest software update, but... it finally worked.

M Sparks said:
All I can do is repeat the usual advice- tune in 119, elevate the dish slightly, and swing it 9 degrees to the right.
Actually, the USUAL advice is to DEelevate the dish slightly. That'll give you a MUCH better chance of finding the bird.

Found it--sort of!

A CSR gave me the azimuth and elevation for the Dish 1000 and I worked with that plus some of forum members input (Thanks guys) and was able to find 129 using my 921 receiver.

I get the following levels of reception off the transponders:

Transponder 12 63%
Transponder 10 73%
Transponder 9 52% (?)
Transponder 6 76%

How does that compare with your reception? The catch is that I cannot find 129 with my 811 unit. It cannot be the dishes fault as I get reception with the 921. I am using a SW64 switch. All my other channels come in on the 811. Just none from the 129. I have the latest Software Version 330. Any thoughts. The CSR just led me through what I have already done. Warm boot. Cold boot. Check switch. Nothing. A least the 811 is just hooked to a 17" flat panel HDTV in the kitchen. Just watch news and maybe
a ball game there.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

i installed my dish 300 today to get voom from 129.. As an advanced tech rep at dish, i know what im talking about, So i called up, just asking the csr which transponders the voom channels come from from 129.. She told me voom hasnt moved there, and wont be moving there for a long time.. Just makes me wonder how some people keep a job.. Anyway, she insisted I cant get voom from 129.. So i told her to just add it to my account. She kept saying im not going to be able to see it. I told her i didnt care haha.. Signal strenth is at least 80 on all transponders. Didnt bother pointing at 61.5 since theres a big tree blocking it, and i wanted to keep both dish's next to eachother untill I feel like putting in a D1000..

Anyway, a few minutes later, voom came rolling in.. Looks good so far, I like the animated channel.. Is it normal though for them to constantly play old stuff on alot of the chnls? From like 1950 and such?

CivicOnBoostEK said:
Is it normal though for them to constantly play old stuff on alot of the chnls? From like 1950 and such?
Depends... they rotate stuff from the channels they do not have sometimes like gunfighter will have old (but good ) westerns... and Monsters has some gems... Its repetitive, but worth the $5 to me... I paid more for the Hd pack and only got DiscoveryHd at one time(besides HBO and SHOHD...) back OT... I found 129 last friday with my 2700...

Typical tech support from Dish (and anyone else)

For the useful bits, skip to the bottom, but here's my story:

I work with satellite service providers, so I know a few things about uplinks, birds, and receivers. In fact, I've been to Echostar's main uplink and HQ, as I worked their account. If anyone has a reason to love Echostar and Dish, I do. That said, their customer service still pisses me off.

So I wanted to add Voom to my existing Dish services. The installer came today (Oct. 30) and said I couldn't get Voom because I couldn't "see" Rainbow 1 (at 61.5W), because of trees that were at 90deg (from north). Nevermind that Rainbow 1 requires an azimuth of 110deg and not 90deg, but I didn't want 61.5 anyway (due to the low elevation). I asked him to direct it to 129W instead, but he wouldn't, since there is officially no programming on 129W. I should have had him leave the junk for me to install, but I need the warranty (condo, HOA, and California crap).

So I called Dish tech support. Initially, they said Voom wasn't on 129. Then they conceded I could use a Dish 1000 to get 129 (I have a Dish 500). Then they conceded I could use a Dish 300 for just 129, but I wouldn't be able to get Voom. Then they finally admitted (after telling them what can easily be found in this forum) that Voom *is* available on 129 and I *could* just use a Dish 300, but that I *should* wait for the Dish 1000 to get a better deal. Then they wouldn't tell me what the deal was or what programming is on 129. A**holes.

The only reason I joined Dish at all was because Voom imploded and sold their stuff to Echostar. I still rely on OTA for my HD content, and I have an 811 HD receiver. Go figure.

To summarize, the Dish 1000 and the Voom on 129W are not officially supported until Nov. 3, 2005. There is no pricing, programming list, or anything else that a reasonable person would ask for before subscribing. So those of us who insist on (or need to) playing by the rules must wait till Nov. 3 to call and ask. I was also told that the Dish website would be updated on Nov. 3 to reflect the Dish 1000 and satellite 129.

I am glad to hear that there will be news on Nov. 3rd as I just lost 61.5 and all my Voom channels on my 942; my 811 is still fine. I was having a small problem (couldn't see the HD Demo channel) and a CSR had me run a Check Switch, then boom 61.5 is gone. Now they are saying there is a software error in the 942 that the check switch caused and they are not sure when it will be fixed. A CSR told me a 1000 could fix it if Voom stays at 129. But will I lose Voom on the 811 if I go with a 1000? Anyone resolve this issue or have any ideas?

delos said:
I was having a small problem (couldn't see the HD Demo channel) and a CSR had me run a Check Switch, then boom 61.5 is gone. Now they are saying there is a software error in the 942 that the check switch caused and they are not sure when it will be fixed. A CSR told me a 1000 could fix it if Voom stays at 129. But will I lose Voom on the 811 if I go with a 1000? Anyone resolve this issue or have any ideas?
Did you try a Reboot?

Switch error

dfergie said:
just a try, did you try unhooking the coax , doing a switch check then rehooking and checking again?(unplugging receiver of course)and the wireing is good going to the 61.5 dish? (and the switch ) ...

No I have not done any of these things. Other then checking connections at the reciever nothing on the roof, but everything worked before the first switch check.
Should I unhook the coax behind the receiver and run a switch check while coax is disconnected? Just checking that I have it right.

I appreciate your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)