Who's Digital OTA Box to Get?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scroll

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Got my coupons cards last week and the mailing lists locally Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal*Mart, and Circuit City.

I take it there's no difference in that actual performance of the box? And one poster said he liked the RCA at Wal*Mart because it also had buttons on the box itself. So maybe the best question is which one has the best remote? since I'm thinking stand alone universal remotes, especially older technology, don't yet have these codes.

Right.

I don't think you can use the coupon cards for ATSC set-tops to receive HD anyway.

Interesting that there's been 120 views but no answers yet. Looks like there's a few people here with the same question in mind.

Well chances are I'll just go ahead and use one of my coupon cards on the Wal*Mart unit. I figure I can't go too wrong with the RCA.

I picked up the Zenith unit at Circuit City. Only reason was I had a $20 gift card. Strange, turns out my Zenith universal remote control doesn't control this box (it's one of the older 5-in-1 units that you can get free from Staples sometimes after rebate).

It's a decent box. Nice tuner, very sensitive to a weak signal. I wish it had a better EPG and S-Video, tho. But so far, I haven't seen any box with S-Video. Also, I haven't seen any cheaper boxes other than the $50 Magnavox at Walmart either. I'll probably try that one as my second box, but they seem to be hard to find at the moment. Hopefully that remote control can be learned with my Zenith remote.

Oh, and since I'm using the TV speakers I don't notice the audio pitch issue. I would avoid the Zenith/Insignia boxes if you are using an external audio system.

-John

I don't think you can use the coupon cards for ATSC set-tops to receive HD anyway.

All the coupon eligible boxes receive both digital SD and HD but they convert the HD to SD for your TV. The boxes that have HD outputs are not coupon eligible.

There are several othe threads on the same subject. Taht might explain the lack of responses.

I picked up a DigitalStream box from RadioShack over the weekend. I hooked it up at a friend's house where he has the Magnavox box. The DigitalStream is a great box, excellent response, excellent remote, etc.

I thought the Magnavox box was the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen.

where will we be able to buy the echostar one from once it is out?

we don't know for sure. The speculation is that it could be bought from DISH or that you could find an Echostar or Sling box (it is cobranded) wherever Sling products are sold today.

If I were you, I'd hold on to your coupons until about June - July and see if the Echostar TR-40 is available then. If not available, then get the Zenith at Circuit City, the Digital Stream at your local RS, or the Best Buy Insignia.

I picked up the Zenith unit at Circuit City. Only reason was I had a $20 gift card. Strange, turns out my Zenith universal remote control doesn't control this box (it's one of the older 5-in-1 units that you can get free from Staples sometimes after rebate).

It's a decent box. Nice tuner, very sensitive to a weak signal. I wish it had a better EPG and S-Video, tho. But so far, I haven't seen any box with S-Video. Also, I haven't seen any cheaper boxes other than the $50 Magnavox at Walmart either. I'll probably try that one as my second box, but they seem to be hard to find at the moment. Hopefully that remote control can be learned with my Zenith remote.

Oh, and since I'm using the TV speakers I don't notice the audio pitch issue. I would avoid the Zenith/Insignia boxes if you are using an external audio system.

-John

Try using LG Electronics remote control codes that Zenith converter box is made by LG and sold with the Zenith brand name. Also, approved S-Video converter boxes are out there but they are about $70.00 U.S..

Well I was about to get the RCA but between the replys here and new customer feedback at the store sites I'm leaning now towards the Zenith for one card and we'll wait & see about the Echostar box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts