Who's giving up their 921/942 to E* for the $200 Credit?

retsef

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Just curious if anyone is giving up their 921/942 that they purchased to E* in order to get the $200 Credit?

I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do. Any suggestions as to how you would upgrade this set-up?

921 own - Theater Room connected to Panny HD Projector 108" screen
811 lease - Rec Room connected to Vizio 37" HD LCD and also RePlayTV 3030
811 lease - Master BR connected to Akai 42" EDTV
522 lease - Guest BR as TV1 and TV2 distributed whole house

using a Maxent 26" HD LCD for computer monitor and reception of 522

I'm considering:
Give to E* my owned 921 and replace with leased 622 - Theater Room
Replace leased 811 with leased 622 - Master BR and whole house distribution
Replace leased 811 with leased 211? - Rec Room with the RePlayTV 3030
Return to E* leased 522

Essentially replace 4 receivers with 3 receivers going from:
1 Dual Tuner HD, 2 Single Tuner HD, & 1 Dual Tuner SD
to
2 Dual Tuner HD & 1 Single Tuner HD

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PS) In in Washington DC and we aren't eligible for DISH1000. I have 2 Dishes, DISH500 and don't know what the other one is but it's for 61.5. Until the second dish was installed I had a QUAD with a DP34. Now, its a TWIN, TWIN, and a DUAL with 2 DP34.

So what are saying that I should do?
921 own
811 lease
811 lease + using a RePlay TV 3030 with Lifetime Subscription
522 lease whole house distributed

I guess I'll give up my purchased 921 so I can have one box that will feed 2 different TV's. I hate having to switch between HD and SD to switch TV's from the Living Room to the Bedroom when I'm doing laundry and other such mundane tasks.

retsef said:
I'm considering:
Give to E* my owned 921 and replace with leased 622 - Theater Room
Replace leased 811 with leased 622 - Master BR and whole house distribution
Replace leased 811 with leased 211? - Rec Room with the RePlayTV 3030
Return to E* leased 522

I think you can only lease one MPEG 4 receiver. You can have more but you must purchase them. If you choose to purchase them, I suggest Dishstore.net! :D

I'm not giving dish sh*t, because my 942 i just bought in nov,they should be swaping them out for there customers that's the right thing to do. but when you deal with a**holes you allways get screwed.but i will tell everyone that own a 942 should keep it it will be good for many years,the only thing i will give dish is my middle finger up there a**! f*** them and charlie,jim too there extorting are hard earnd money every day.I paid for the 942 and i'ts mine f*** them! its a great dvr

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill1767 said:
I'm not giving dish sh*t, because my 942 i just bought in nov,they should be swaping them out for there customers that's the right thing to do. but when you deal with a**holes you allways get screwed.but i will tell everyone that own a 942 should keep it it will be good for many years,the only thing i will give dish is my middle finger up there a**! f*** them and charlie,jim too there extorting are hard earnd money every day.I paid for the 942 and i'ts mine f*** them! its a great dvr
Please, no need to swear in each and every one of your posts. BTW, it's when you deal with "dicks" you get screwed....when you deal with a**holes you get sh*t on. Ugh! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
riffjim4069 said:
Please, no need to swear in each and every one of your posts. BTW, it's when you deal with "dicks" you get screwed....when you deal with a**holes you get sh*t on. Ugh! :rolleyes:

:clap :clap :clap :clap

I've been on the fence about this since the release of the VIP622.

I was on hold to Charlie Chat last night for 20 minutes and finally got through to a female CSR. (English too!)

She couldn't answer my simple question. On the 622, can you view any of the HD channels in SD through tuner 2 and or can you watch a recorded HD show in SD on TV2. (Down rezzed?)

*EDIT* Just saw on the Link -->TECH PORTAL that the 622 does indeed down convert HD to SD on TV2.
*END EDIT*

If so, I would be *kinda* willing to trade in for the $200 or I can get rid of the 522 and keep the 921 as a 2nd HDTV (if I ever go HD in the bedroom) until next April when I can get another 622. (And not get the $200 rebate now) (Also LESS the new mpeg 4 HD channels)

She said NO, it won't down rezz. If that is the case, there is no compelling reason for me to ship back the 921 that will still work until 1Q '07 and tune OTA HD even without a SAT feed.

On the 622 side, I can get the new *mpeg4* only channels. She argued that they are broadcast in mpeg4 and knew nothing about the false mpeg4 broadcast flag. (Yeah whatever)

She also stated that I will need a DISH 1000 plus all of my RG6 replaced as the new system requires different cabling. (Huh? What's wrong with my cables now?)

At first she stated that the Dish 1000 would pick up 110/119/129 and 61.5 as a single dish solution. I asked her exactly how since they lie so far apart in the sky... After being on hold for 30 seconds she recanted and told me a 2nd dish would be needed. (I already have it pointed there for 2 years.duh) :shh

I asked if the 921 would support pocket dish(knowing it wouldn't) and at first she said yes, so I could save all of my HD movies to an external device. *Bzzzzt* Then she corrected herself and told me I was S.O.L. and would lose all of my DVR'd movies.

At this point I am so confused. No one seems to have a definite answer.

Is it worth the extra $200 for me to keep something that I already own and have about 11 HD movies saved. Hmmmm...:what

Plus there is a 3 week backorder as of yesterday so I wouldn't get it until mid-April now anyway.

Last edited:
Prize Goddess said:
I think you can only lease one MPEG 4 receiver. You can have more but you must purchase them. If you choose to purchase them, I suggest Dishstore.net! :D
Also BFG posted you can only lease up to 4 tuners
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=504048#post504048
So i dont think you will be able to lease that many anyway.

To answer the original question however. I am like others here, all dvr's cant live without them, sad i know :devil: , so i will upgrade a 501 single tuner to a 622, and move em all around.

Last edited:
I'm keeping mine since I got confirmation in Feb. that they wanted the 921 for nothing in exchange for a 200 dol. rebate. The rebate would probably go into a little Charlie change purse so you cannot use it until you die fund anyway.

Nah I can use the 921 and they can keep their rebate.

I'm thinking about selling my 921 on ebay for $225-$300. and then taking the $299 lease so it might run me only $0-$75 or I'll even make $1:D

edit: I need to look into the commitment requirements between trading in your 92 1 and paying $99 or doing as I stated above If it means an 18 month commitment vs. no commitment then I'll do the $99

Last edited:
I did my upgrade a couple of weeks ago, no need to wait until April 1st for me. I paid the $299. Then I went on Ebay and sold my 921 for $260 and put the cash in my pocket. Why play the Charlie game for a Credit on your bill. I got more then $200 back and it was cash.

Sold my 921 on ebay for $330 and haven't looked back :) The 622, bugs and all, is still better than the 921 was on its good days.

Get them to waive the 18 month commitment though, they will.

what extra programming do you get at this point by switching? it doesnt seem worth it?
can I get 2 of the hd dvr's or is it just one per account like before?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts