Who's paying what for their owned gear?

What are you paying for the new fees on your "owned" equipment?

• $ 5 ($10 off) per device. If more than one please added info as a post.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10 ($ 5 off) for non-Hopper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The premise of the dollar amount discounts in your poll question is flawed. The way the new fees for owned equipment work is a set monthly price per device (per TV with independent viewing for dual-tuner receivers) not a set amount of discount off the regular price of those fees if the receivers had been leased instead. I bring this up because the wording of the question seems to suggest a flat $15 regular lease price for every receiver, which was never the case. There was a boatload of different fee levels for different models of ViP (and even SD-only legacy) receivers, not to mention multiple rounds of grandfathering along the way. Add to that list the grandfathering of DVR fees for older Hopper models, the lower regular-price DVR fee for the Hopper Duo, and the different fees for different models of Joey. ($10 for Super Joey, $7 for other Joeys.) Also, $7 for Wally while I am at it. So, the "$5 off" or "$10 off" would definitely not be the case for every receiver on an account in most cases.

Having said all of that, I voted in this poll, so I will explain my specific "Other" below. Keep in mind that this rare situation probably only applies to my account, though.

I have a ViP222k and a Hopper 3, both of which are purchased. I keep the ViP222k activated all of the time, and only activate the Hopper 3 on the days when I want to use it. I deactivate the Hopper 3 again later that same night, so the prorated credit for dropping it totally offsets the prorated charge for adding it. Therefore, I actually pay $0 in equipment fees for my second receiver, and also $0 in fees for my primary receiver, the ViP222k.

In the spirit of the poll question though, I will list how the fees appear in my mydish account for the brief time while the Hopper 3 is activated. Even that is unique to my situation, though. I get charged no DVR fee at all for the Hopper 3, and a $10 "add'l access for two TV's" fee appears for my ViP222k. In return though, I get no DVR functions on the Hopper 3 while it is activated. The model changes to "Hopper 3D" on the Diagnostics screen while it is in this state. (This proves once and for all that there is a 3D version of the Hopper.) Seriously though, the D at the end of the model means that the DVR functions are disabled. This happens automatically when activating any Hopper (or Wally) on the same account as an active ViP222k. Existing recordings will still play, but there is no way to pause, skip forward, etc.

I can get DVR functionality by specifically requesting it (which then makes the "normal" fees show up on my account) but I usually don't bother to do that. In that case, I would have to actually call or chat to activate the Hopper 3. Since my account is an Outdoor account, I have the convenience of activating and deactivating the purchased receivers at will myself through the mydish website. So, I simply do that, and let the outcome be what it may, as far as fees (which for me are temporary, and actually nonexistent, anyway) and functionality. The Hopper 3 has way more apps than I ever had on any other model of Hopper, plus the four-screen "Sports Bar" PIP mode. That alone makes the Hopper 3 worth it, even if I only use it for live TV.

This DVR-disabling behavior also seems to be tied to my programming package somehow. I have the $15 Locals Only package with no other programming. The same thing also happened before that with the $15 International Basic package. However, I never had this issue prior to that, when I had a higher package such as Welcome Pack.

I'm also using RV account..2 hoppers w/sling $15 DVR service fee and $5 for second receiver... now I also have a vip222k that's $10..a vip211k that's $5 and a Wally that's $5.. now if I shutoff the hoppers and use just the 222k there's no fee..I can add the 211k or Wally to the 222k and it's $5 fee each but if I add more than one additional receiver along with the 222k the fee for the 222k applies and it's $10 for just that receiver.. Like Crodrules said theres a lot of variables..In my case without the hoppers active my first receiver has no fees regardless of which one..
Crodrules... I tried to get my hoppers w/sling to get the d but they wouldn't deactivate the dvr function for me..I just want the sling function for dish anywhere on 2 devices at once..

Reactions: pattykay
I'm also using RV account..2 hoppers w/sling $15 DVR service fee and $5 for second receiver... now I also have a vip222k that's $10..a vip211k that's $5 and a Wally that's $5.. now if I shutoff the hoppers and use just the 222k there's no fee..I can add the 211k or Wally to the 222k and it's $5 fee each but if I add more than one additional receiver along with the 222k the fee for the 222k applies and it's $10 for just that receiver.. Like Crodrules said theres a lot of variables..In my case without the hoppers active my first receiver has no fees regardless of which one..
Crodrules... I tried to get my hoppers w/sling to get the d but they wouldn't deactivate the dvr function for me..I just want the sling function for dish anywhere on 2 devices at once..
I have no idea how the D tag ever got on my account in the first place, since I never specifically requested it. Seemingly, it's a glitch that just automatically happens, and has to be undone each time I reactivate a Hopper if I don't want the D. Keep in mind that this same glitch also removes DVR functionality from a Wally on the account, not just the Hoppers. That sitch ticked me off the first time I stumbled upon this, since I had paid the $40 fee specifically to have DVR functions on the Wally. I posted a whole thread on this issue and everything.

Nobody at Dish seemed to have any clue: what was going on, what the D tag even was, how it got on my account, or how to remove it. So, I got Dish to credit that $40 back to my account. Apparently, this D tag does not remove DVR functionality from ViP receivers though, or at least not 211's. After I got the $40 refunded, I discovered this when I activated my old ViP211k. So, I basically got that DVR functionality for free.

Finally, someone posted a special phone number for the department at Dish that handles these special account codes. When I called them, they were immediately able to tell what the issue was, and removed the D tag so my Hopper Duo (the model I was using at the time) could have DVR functions. It didn't last, though. Deactivating the Hopper Duo, then reactivating it on another day, caused the exact same issue to happen again.

Tvland1, I gave you that special phone number, and a link to the thread where I detailed this whole experience, in a private conversation recently. Is that the number you called when you asked for the D to be put on your account? They should be able to do that, even if a regular CSR cannot. If even that department cannot apply the D tag to your account, then that may confirm another early theory that was suggested about my account. It was speculated that my account also somehow got accidentally tagged as a commercial account (in addition to being an RV account). That special department normally only deals with commercial accounts, so that seemed halfway plausible. So, if the same cannot be done to your account, then yours is definitely listed as residential.

Reactions: Tvland1
Tvland1, I gave you that special phone number, and a link to the thread where I detailed this whole experience, in a private conversation recently. Is that the number you called when you asked for the D to be put on your account?
Yes that was the number I called.. commercial dept.. really nice guy and understood what I was wanting to do..He told me that once the hopper had been activated that he couldn't change it to the D account..I guess that I should have called him before adding the receiver to my account using dish chat..I think you're right that somehow your account was tagged as commercial from the start.. come to think about it maybe that's why you seem to be able to get some different packages that others claim they can't get..lol

Reactions: pattykay
Yes that was the number I called.. commercial dept.. really nice guy and understood what I was wanting to do..He told me that once the hopper had been activated that he couldn't change it to the D account..I guess that I should have called him before adding the receiver to my account using dish chat..I think you're right that somehow your account was tagged as commercial from the start..
The weird part about the "commercial" theory though, is that according to Unpluggedtech (the member who gave me the number for the commercial department) the model listed on the Diagnostics screen would also include "COMM" in it if that were the case. For example, it would be shown as a "Hopper 3 COMM D" instead of just "Hopper 3D." (Adding the "COMM" would also ruin my "3D" joke, of course.) There are commercial and non-commercial versions of most of these account codes, if not all of them. So, the lack of the "COMM" tag on my account would seem to rule out the "commercial" theory.

On the other hand, I actually have seen a "COMM" tag once on at least one of my receivers. A Wally showed up on the Diagnostics screen as "Wally COMM A." That was when that Wally was on a different account though, long before the Wally was transferred to the account I am currently using. In that case, the issue just seemed to be a brief glitch that fixed itself without me having to do anything about it. The model shown on the Diagnostics screen changed by itself, over a span of only several days, from "Wally" to "Wally A" to "Wally COMM A" and finally back to just "Wally" all without me making any changes of any kind. There was also no difference in functionality that I could notice, while either the "A" or "COMM" tag (or both) were shown. The "D" tag issue is different though, since it does cause a distinct difference in functionality and billing, and it is repeatable.

Reactions: Tvland1
Finally got my first bill that was somewhat understandable. Of my two H3s, one is not listed at all, (it's probably the owned one, which is never first on any list - "Redheaded Stepchild") and the second is $10 a month ($15 - 5 (not $10) and the $15 DVR fee that I don't think is supposed to be there. Earlier "accommodations"). I had a feeling something like this would be their "ticket out". Also a discrepancy difference between the last two bills was added into the total cost. When I was told that it was negated/removed from the bill.

With all the articles I have been reading in the trades about subscriber loss, big numbers, cord cutting and one yesterday on "Advertisers" now "Cutting the Cord". I can see lots of wheels turning and adjustments to the fine print happening.

I'm not getting the deals that some of you got, even just asking for my current plan back. Also since when does Retention, Valuded Customer and Executive Care calls on the special numbers offered go to phone banks in the Philippines? The one thing that I REALLY LIKE, is when calling in and you have recently called. It asks if you'd like to talk to that same person. "Genius!" I have never gotten the same person. This last time the Rep I was dealing with said that being able to do that only lasts for 24 hours. Therefore, he said that he'd tag it for 48 hours if I need to call back with any questions. I called back 15 minutes later and the Auto-Attendant came on and said that number does not exists. RED FLAG! The system saw I called, saw who I talked to, at which number, that the timeout was extended . . . and it doesn't exist. Now a whole Marching Band of Red Flags!

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell